Busted Dick

USA Bourbon Whiskey

GBT62
10 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Might want to swing by Metro Colon  to see if still 2 for 1 (999 P)

Seriously ? Makers Mark 2 for 1 (999P) ? :thumbs_up:

lamoe
16 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

Seriously ? Makers Mark 2 for 1 (999P) ? :thumbs_up:

Sorry got lost in thread

Evan Williams

Edited by lamoe

colemanlee

ARROW

ALCOHOL

What’s the Difference Between Scotch, Whiskey and Bourbon?

BY DAVID K. ISRAEL

MARCH 22, 2012

GEORGE KONIG/KEYSTONE FEATURES/GETTY IMAGES

This might be common knowledge for some, but it's worth a refresher. Let's start with a burning question we answered back in 2008: what makes a whiskey bourbon?

The law. While knocking back a dram of bourbon is a decidedly carefree exercise, making it is exceedingly technical and requires that the whiskey meet a rigid set of criteria. The Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isn’t bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.) The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. (Most often these barrels are white oak, but they can be any variety of oak.) If you distill a whiskey in your kitchen that meets all of these standards, congrats, you’ve made bourbon. Also, you’ve broken the law; the ATF is probably outside your house right now.

The main difference between scotch and whisky is geographic, but also ingredients and spellings. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland, while bourbon is whiskey made in the U.S.A, generally Kentucky. Scotch is made mostly from malted barley, while bourbon is distilled from corn. If you’re in England and ask for a whisky, you’ll get Scotch. But in Ireland, you’ll get Irish whiskey (yep, they spell it differently for a little colour).

On this side of the pond, we have our own local color, too. The difference between Tennessee Whiskey, like Jack Daniel’s, for example, and Bourbon is that after the spirit is distilled, Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through sugar-maple charcoal. This filtering, known as the Lincoln County Process, is what distinguishes Tennessee Whiskey from your average Bourbon, like Jim Beam. The name, Bourbon, comes from an area known as Old Bourbon, around what is now Bourbon County, Kentucky.

On top of these types of whiskey, we also have Rye, which can refer either to American rye whiskey, which must be distilled from at least 51 percent rye or Canadian whisky, which may or may not actually include any rye in its production process. Confusing! Right?

Okay whiskey drinkers, did I miss anything crucial? Obviously there are tons of other, smaller differences depending on location and recipe, but that should cover you for when you need to impress the opposite sex at a bar some day.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30278/what’s-difference-between-scotch-whiskey-and-bourbon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Richard K

I drank Jack for years... and I switched to Jim Beam... these days?.. I am partial to Bushmills Black... I have no idea how it is made... I DO however know how it tastes and feels in the back of my throat.
I do enjoy a decent Scotch... but my taste in Scotch exceeds my willingness to pay the price for an 18 year old... I have found that with hot women also...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

M.C.A.
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

Sorry got lost in thread

Evan Williams

Good point every year I notice Evan Williams has a buy one get one for 1000 pesos. I haven't had Crown Royal in a long time I sure miss that on the rocks I think that will be my next bottle.

Busted Dick
5 hours ago, colemanlee said:

ARROW

ALCOHOL

What’s the Difference Between Scotch, Whiskey and Bourbon?

BY DAVID K. ISRAEL

MARCH 22, 2012

GEORGE KONIG/KEYSTONE FEATURES/GETTY IMAGES

This might be common knowledge for some, but it's worth a refresher. Let's start with a burning question we answered back in 2008: what makes a whiskey bourbon?

The law. While knocking back a dram of bourbon is a decidedly carefree exercise, making it is exceedingly technical and requires that the whiskey meet a rigid set of criteria. The Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isn’t bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.) The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. (Most often these barrels are white oak, but they can be any variety of oak.) If you distill a whiskey in your kitchen that meets all of these standards, congrats, you’ve made bourbon. Also, you’ve broken the law; the ATF is probably outside your house right now.

The main difference between scotch and whisky is geographic, but also ingredients and spellings. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland, while bourbon is whiskey made in the U.S.A, generally Kentucky. Scotch is made mostly from malted barley, while bourbon is distilled from corn. If you’re in England and ask for a whisky, you’ll get Scotch. But in Ireland, you’ll get Irish whiskey (yep, they spell it differently for a little colour).

On this side of the pond, we have our own local color, too. The difference between Tennessee Whiskey, like Jack Daniel’s, for example, and Bourbon is that after the spirit is distilled, Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through sugar-maple charcoal. This filtering, known as the Lincoln County Process, is what distinguishes Tennessee Whiskey from your average Bourbon, like Jim Beam. The name, Bourbon, comes from an area known as Old Bourbon, around what is now Bourbon County, Kentucky.

On top of these types of whiskey, we also have Rye, which can refer either to American rye whiskey, which must be distilled from at least 51 percent rye or Canadian whisky, which may or may not actually include any rye in its production process. Confusing! Right?

Okay whiskey drinkers, did I miss anything crucial? Obviously there are tons of other, smaller differences depending on location and recipe, but that should cover you for when you need to impress the opposite sex at a bar some day.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30278/what’s-difference-between-scotch-whiskey-and-bourbon

Great reply, thanks.  I wouldn't even have touched the stuff a few days ago but now I find that I like whiskey but don't like whisky and am starting to understand the reasons why!

Busted Dick
12 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

i am hoping you were still in your car when you woke up?  :biggrin_01:

Legs were in the car with the feet trapped under the pedals, body hanging out the open car door, head sort of half underneath, got a good look at the underside when I woke up tho!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

XER MIL
23 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

Ok guys, I admit that I am an amateur; until Sunday I had only ever tasted Scotch Whisky and Southern Comfort (probably not a whisky) and didn't like any of it.  However I was at a gathering on Sunday where a certain board member donated a half bottle of Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  I declined to drink any because I hate the taste of whisky; however another board member (these guys will reveal themselves if they wish to) got stuck into it and seemed to enjoy it. 

When I woke up on Monday I found the bottle, still about a quarter full, in my car.  Later in the day, and curious, because I have never tried American Whiskey before I tried a small shot.  Then I finished the bottle off because it was glorious!  I would describe the taste as smoky, but as I pointed out above, I am not an expert.  Whatever, it is exactly where my taste buds are at!  My question is, does anyone know where I can buy American Bourbon Whiskey in Cebu, and if so, where and how much does it cost?

I'm a rum & coke guy but a friend of mine introduced me to Basil Haydens bourbon whiskey and I think it's the best compared to the rest ,it's very smooth. It's $32 if it's on sale here in the USA.

GBT62

anyone seen Fireball here ? It was oeverpriced to hell in AU - be interested to see if/what it sells for here.

image.png.a0ef73785ef68a9181d96de322e717f5.png

I did find that the local Emperador Hotshot was a reasonably close alternative ...

image.png.5576a2fb21f987226b4c4c35927ea64e.png

Enuff
anyone seen Fireball here ? It was oeverpriced to hell in AU - be interested to see if/what it sells for here.
image.png.a0ef73785ef68a9181d96de322e717f5.png

I did find that the local Emperador Hotshot was a reasonably close alternative ...
image.png.5576a2fb21f987226b4c4c35927ea64e.png

S&R has it regularly, I'll check price next time I'm there.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

GBT62

So - S & R today - 

Jim Beam Buy 1 Take 1 deal of the packs shown below

That's  1,438 PHP for 2 x (2 x 1L + free 350ml) packs

or 4.7 LITRES (1.24 US Gallons ?)  for 1,438PHP - $20AU or $14.75US

image.png.b7b71b79bec19537253c047c180aa1e9.png

I couldn't go past that deal ....

image.png.03b59c7f2ecc68d9008320105d21aa57.png

They had Fireball and Markers Mark at 799PHP - not on special - though I could only see the label for the Makers Mark - no actual bottles on the shelves...

Cheers :drink:

• Like 2

Dafey

Surprised there are no George Dickle fans. I think it's better than Jim or Jack.

GBT62
38 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

So - S & R today - 

Jim Beam Buy 1 Take 1 deal of the packs shown below

That's  1,438 PHP for 2 x (2 x 1L + free 350ml) packs

or 4.7 LITRES (1.24 US Gallons ?)  for 1,438PHP - $36AU or $26.50US

(let me fix that conversion - I quoted the price for Makers Mark there ...)

Still a great deal - the currebt Aussie price is AU$38 for a single 700ml bottle .....

image.png.580e0f8251030736985f380c774b181c.png

topcat72m
On 9/26/2018 at 12:57 AM, Dafey said:

The way I was taught....

3 kinds of whiskey:

Scotch Whiskey (also called Malt Whiskey)...The most refined in the distilling process. Many claim they drink Scotch as they do not get hung over. Brewed from barley

Canadian Whiskey...a little less refined and brewed from Rye

Bourbon Whiskey...the least refined and brewed from corn mash. Usually sweeter and earthier taste

I've never met anyone that enjoys all 3. Normally someone's palate prefers one over the other. Also, whiskey improves with age in the barrel. The older the brew the smoother the taste. Jack Daniels is stored in wooden barrels that have been charred on the inside which gives it that smokey taste.

Scotch and Canadian have no sugar and can be consumed on a keto diet.

You forgot the original and MOST refined whiskey. 

Irish whiskey. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey

• Like 3

M.C.A.
3 hours ago, topcat72m said:

You forgot the original and MOST refined whiskey. 

Irish whiskey. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey

Bushmills is good I worked two years as a mechanic for a Bowley Alley called Sunset Lanes on base in NASNI San Diego, California and on my days off I'd come in and was introduced to Bushmills.