Problems Logging On Read more... ×
Busted Dick

USA Bourbon Whiskey

Busted Dick

Ok guys, I admit that I am an amateur; until Sunday I had only ever tasted Scotch Whisky and Southern Comfort (probably not a whisky) and didn't like any of it.  However I was at a gathering on Sunday where a certain board member donated a half bottle of Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  I declined to drink any because I hate the taste of whisky; however another board member (these guys will reveal themselves if they wish to) got stuck into it and seemed to enjoy it. 

When I woke up on Monday I found the bottle, still about a quarter full, in my car.  Later in the day, and curious, because I have never tried American Whiskey before I tried a small shot.  Then I finished the bottle off because it was glorious!  I would describe the taste as smoky, but as I pointed out above, I am not an expert.  Whatever, it is exactly where my taste buds are at!  My question is, does anyone know where I can buy American Bourbon Whiskey in Cebu, and if so, where and how much does it cost?

• Like 1

bkb1
Enuff
6 hours ago, Busted Dick said:
Ok guys, I admit that I am an amateur; until Sunday I had only ever tasted Scotch Whisky and Southern Comfort (probably not a whisky) and didn't like any of it.  However I was at a gathering on Sunday where a certain board member donated a half bottle of Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  I declined to drink any because I hate the taste of whisky; however another board member (these guys will reveal themselves if they wish to) got stuck into it and seemed to enjoy it. 
When I woke up on Monday I found the bottle, still about a quarter full, in my car.  Later in the day, and curious, because I have never tried American Whiskey before I tried a small shot.  Then I finished the bottle off because it was glorious!  I would describe the taste as smoky, but as I pointed out above, I am not an expert.  Whatever, it is exactly where my taste buds are at!  My question is, does anyone know where I can buy American Bourbon Whiskey in Cebu, and if so, where and how much does it cost?

S&R has Evan Williams, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Early Times, Wild Turkey and probably half a dozen more and EVERY bottle in S & R is cheaper than in the USA due to the ridiculous alcohol taxes.

Evan Williams isn't as recognized as Jack Daniels or Jim Beam, a fifth 700ml/750ml runs under p1,000

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

lamoe

6 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

I got 2  btls for 1,000 P Metro Colon across from 138 on special 

86 proof not the typ 80

"Bourbon drinkers know what they like, and bourbon drinkers like Evan Williams.  This standard Black Label offering is second only to standard Jim Beam in global sales. "

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whiskey/evan-williams-bourbon/

GBT62

I used to bring in Jim Beam or Maker's Mark from Aussie Duty Free stores at the airport - until I found out it was much cheaper here at most super markets.  Jim Beam bottles that were usually around AU$30 in a bottleshop there - are usually around AU$18-20 here.

Jim Beam isn't hard to find - bought that at Metro, Rustans, S&R and even Fooda - pretty sure have seen it at Landers and others too. 

I haven't gone looking for Maker's Mark yet - I must be slowing down my consumption in retirement :scratch_head:

• Like 2

Dafey

The way I was taught....

3 kinds of whiskey:

Scotch Whiskey (also called Malt Whiskey)...The most refined in the distilling process. Many claim they drink Scotch as they do not get hung over. Brewed from barley

Canadian Whiskey...a little less refined and brewed from Rye

Bourbon Whiskey...the least refined and brewed from corn mash. Usually sweeter and earthier taste

I've never met anyone that enjoys all 3. Normally someone's palate prefers one over the other. Also, whiskey improves with age in the barrel. The older the brew the smoother the taste. Jack Daniels is stored in wooden barrels that have been charred on the inside which gives it that smokey taste.

Scotch and Canadian have no sugar and can be consumed on a keto diet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

towboat72

Just bought makers mark at SM last week

Enuff
Just bought makers mark at SM last week
S&R had 750ml for p949

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

Jack Daniels is stored in wooden barrels that have been charred on the inside which gives it that smokey taste.

When Jack is done with the barrels they sell them to hot sauce makers (Tabasco, Magnolia)

". Due to hit shelves next week is George Dickel Tabasco Brand Barrel Finish whiskey, the latest, and perhaps best, example of a heat-inflected hooch."

From Jack Daniels

GwapoGuy
8 hours ago, Enuff said:

S&R has Evan Williams, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Early Times, Wild Turkey and probably half a dozen more and EVERY bottle in S & R is cheaper than in the USA due to the ridiculous alcohol taxes.

Good to see some bourbon brands are available at decent prices, not just Jack or Beam. Bourbon is going to continue to be a good value since the EU, China, Turkey, even Mexico has slapped a 25% tariff on the 'water of life'.

Edited by GwapoGuy

RangerUp
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

Scotch Whiskey (also called Malt Whiskey)...The most refined in the distilling process. Many claim they drink Scotch as they do not get hung over. Brewed from barley

Canadian Whiskey...a little less refined and brewed from Rye

Bourbon Whiskey...the least refined and brewed from corn mash. Usually sweeter and earthier taste

Bourbon is not only not the least refined, but it's the only one without any additives allowed. No caramel coloring, no sugar/molasses flavoring.

• Thanks 1

jtmwatchbiz
10 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

When I woke up on Monday I found the bottle, still about a quarter full, in my car. 

i am hoping you were still in your car when you woke up?  :biggrin_01:

M.C.A.

Bourbon whiskey, Evan Williams, Jack Daniels,  Jim Beam sold at 7-Eleven or any large grocery chain, I was going to add Alpha Mart and PureGold grocery but I don't see any stores in Cebu.

I was an avid Jack Daniels fan but after trying a shot of Evan Williams I became a fan same with Jim Beam.

Edited by M.C.A.

GBT62
5 hours ago, Enuff said:

S&R had 750ml for p949

Will be at S&R tomorrow - let's see what price I can get it in their sale period ....

• Like 1

lamoe
34 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

Will be at S&R tomorrow - let's see what price I can get it in their sale period ....

Might want to swing by Metro Colon  to see if still 2 for 1 (999 P)