Sign in to follow this  
BryanWill123

Importing A Used Imac As Checked Tourist Luggage. Worth It?

BryanWill123

I was looking to bringing my (very) old imac to Cebu for personal use during my next trip, and/or to give to friends when I leave. It will not cost anything extra in checked luggage. But how about duties? Worth is maybe $500 Australian ($360 US)

Also does it get declared if I intend to give it away, but not if I take it back with me?

Thanks

Woolf

Just bring it, if you are asked about it, just tell them that it is for personal use, there should be no problem

do not declare it no need to 

How would they check that you are bringing it back

• Like 4

Goetz1965

Should be no problem - how you think millions of Laptops are handled every day ?

• Like 1

Davaoeno
19 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Should be no problem - how you think millions of Laptops are handled every day ?

They are hand carried . He wants to send it by checked baggage- making me think that he will also be carrying another laptop

Headshot

If they do ask you to declare a value, then make the value something less that $200. Anything that is valued $200 or more will cost you customs. I think you are overvaluing the value of the iMac anyway. They lose their value pretty quickly.

And if they ask ... the computer is for personal use.

Edited by Headshot

Jawny

There is unlikely any issue with any duty to be paid.  Chances are the cellphone you carry (?) is of more value, and duty is not charged for that.

Keep in mind, older Apple devices have less access to repair.  There are authorized repair places, but they will not accept some items for repair if they are too old for parts replacement. There are work arounds, but less reliable. 

BryanWill123

Thanks All, I declared it, but it was just waved through, no problem.

RedRanger

Never had an issue bringing laptops or cellfones into the Philippines.  I have entered with over 8 cellphones at one time, and I almost always carry two laptops. One to keep and one to give away.

smokey
2 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Never had an issue bringing laptops or cellfones into the Philippines.  I have entered with over 8 cellphones at one time, and I almost always carry two laptops. One to keep and one to give away.

What cellphones from us work here i have tried a few 

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, smokey said:

if they dont work you take them to the mall and find the booth that unlocks them .  I have had several done

bkb1
2 hours ago, smokey said:

Some will work and some won't, it all depends on the carrier frequencies the phone is capable of so don't be mislead into believing that all phones will work here by simply unlocking them. some U.S phones will never work here. find a phone with   frequencies that are compatible with the Philippine carrier you intend to use. It amazes me that some know it all's here are so willing to offer bad advice to members with no regard for the expenses, inconvenience and grief they cause. If you need more help feel free to ask.

Edited by bkb1
avoidance of the spelling police
  • Haha 1

bkb1
On 9/25/2018 at 7:36 PM, Davaoeno said:

making me think that he will also be carrying another laptop

Good call Perry Mason... :thumbs_up:

• Haha 1

CardiacKid

CDMA phones that are used for Sprint and Verizon will NOT work in the Philippines. Even if the GSM phone is capable of switching to P.I. frequencies, you may have to have the software reloaded into the phone. GSM  phones that use Sim cards sometimes will work in the Philippines, but no guarantees. 

smokey
10 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

if they dont work you take them to the mall and find the booth that unlocks them .  I have had several done

I brought back a nice LG STYLO put my sim in and it said not recognized contact your carrier.  It was not locked when i bought it.  The phone i have here came from sm its.a lg stylo also 

Edited by smokey