Problems Logging On Read more... ×
SimonL

Mitsubishi 4DR5 Engine

SimonL

Hello all,

I've been building a bangka, 14 pax, and have got a Japan surplus 4DR5 engine from Manila. It works well, sounds good and the boat goes pretty fast. 

My Captain told me today though that the reverse gear isn't where he thought it was and there might be more forward gears than he first thought, I think there are 5 fwd plus reverse, but there may be 6 fwd?

Can anyone advise on the gears? Is the reverse down and to the left? Where are the gates for the rest of the gears? What gear should I be using and with what prop? (we've been using 3rd with a 17" two blade prop.

Mnay thanks!

Simon

Dafey

You have a transmission on it?

Dang...find 6th gear if you have it and adjust the speed with the throttle. Reverse is nice...

I would search Google and find your tranny and itshould hae a shift pattern

SkyMan

My Ranger has a 6spd and reverse is left (of 1st) and up but you have to pull up a collar to get left of 1st.  Takes a little getting used to because I'm always putting it in 6th to back up and it doesn't work.

• Haha 1

rizla

Love the idea of a six-speed transmission on a boat, but WTF do you put the clutch peddle/grip? 

SimonL

Thanks all, we found reverse! Nearly broke the steering but found reverse. It appears to be six gears but the captain says only use third - changing gear is like juggling four balls. There is a foot clutch peddle but the acceleration is by hand, nylon string of course. So you can't hold the steering, reduce the throttle and change gear at the same time. 

Is this usual? Just using one gear all the time? I was expecting, naively, that changing gears would be just like changing gears on a truck. Pick up some momentum and chang up, but I'm told a boats not like that. I can be told anything ofcourse and I've worked out that its usually because alternatives are too difficult .

Dafey
1 hour ago, SimonL said:

It appears to be six gears but the captain says only use third - changing gear is like juggling four balls

Simon, in a boat you should just use 6th gear and reverse.

In a car we have lower gears because the engine would stall trying to get the weight of the car moving. With the prop in the water there should not be much resistance, at least not like a car on land.

Now, if you find that 3rd gear is a perfect speed for trolling, by all means utilize that however you will burn less gas by using 6th gear at lower RPMs

Another way to look at it...if 3rd gear moves the boat at 10 knots at 5000 RPM, 6th gear should move the boat at 15 knots at 5000 RPM. You are burning the same amount of fuel either way. Realistically, 6th gear is more efficient. 

(disclaimer...before the engineers jump all over me the above is a hypothetical example)