Crushed Red Chili Peppers

When I moved to the Philippines I couldn't find any good quality dried chili peppers crushed. My GF suggested buying the small red and green peppers at the market to make my own. I had a really small food chopper type of thing so I gave it a try. After removing the stems I chopped up the peppers in a small batch and put them in the sun for a few hours to dry out in a large frying pan. Once I thought they were dry enough I put them back in the food chopper again and then back into the sun. Back into the chopper again and presto. Great dried chili peppers. I ended up buying a large food processor to make the process faster and easier.

If you do this just make sure you put the dried chilis' that you will use later in an airtight container.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
jtmwatchbiz

i think we have the same type of tiny red peppers growing in our yard.  from what i recall my wife and our neighbors planted them a few years ago.  she and our neighbors do pretty much the same thing as you and dry them out in the sun.  i'm not much into the hot peppers but they love it.   they also planted calamansi and they grow in what looks like bushes along the front of the house next to ours.    

• Like 3
13 hours ago, yingy52 said:

When I moved to the Philippines I couldn't find any good quality dried chili peppers crushed. My GF suggested buying the small red and green peppers at the market to make my own. I had a really small food chopper type of thing so I gave it a try. After removing the stems I chopped up the peppers in a small batch and put them in the sun for a few hours to dry out in a large frying pan. Once I thought they were dry enough I put them back in the food chopper again and then back into the sun. Back into the chopper again and presto. Great dried chili peppers. I ended up buying a large food processor to make the process faster and easier.

If you do this just make sure you put the dried chilis' that you will use later in an airtight container.

I grow my own peppers so have been doing this for a while now..
I dried some last week and made the best product ever IMO..  Try making it..It`s the best!

• Like 3
On 9/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, jtmwatchbiz said:

i think we have the same type of tiny red peppers growing in our yard.  from what i recall my wife and our neighbors planted them a few years ago.  she and our neighbors do pretty much the same thing as you and dry them out in the sun.  i'm not much into the hot peppers but they love it.   they also planted calamansi and they grow in what looks like bushes along the front of the house next to ours.    

I'm not referring to those little tiny peppers. I get the ones at the market that are about an inch to 2 inch long. My GF uses those tiny ones when she makes Tinola.

jtmwatchbiz
On 9/25/2018 at 5:33 PM, yingy52 said:

buying the small red and green peppers at the market

On 9/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, jtmwatchbiz said:

i think we have the same type of tiny red peppers growing in our yard. 

9 minutes ago, yingy52 said:

I'm not referring to those little tiny peppers.

please forgive me for recklessly mistaking "small" for tiny.   i will go stand in the corner and hang my head in shame for contributing erroneous content to your thread  :biggrin_01: