Sign in to follow this  
PeterC

Dash Cam

lamoe
18 minutes ago, Dafey said:

let us know in September how they are working. Most of the failures in dash cams come from heat.

I put reminder on phone - not being sarcastic  - got mirror cam in Sept.

Use reflective shield when parking outside during day -  leave windows open about 1/2"  - still protected by rain shields

Edited by lamoe

jtmwatchbiz

i never used in car cams before as i was taught at an early age to simply pay attention, watch where i'm going and drive defensively.  seems to work ok so far.  however i would like to get a face-mounted cam to record evidence of when someone cuts in front of me in line at the grocery store.  i hate it when that happens!

oztony
3 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

i never used in car cams before as i was taught at an early age to simply pay attention, watch where i'm going and drive defensively.  seems to work ok so far. 

Its about catching on camera the other driver of the other vehicle , who is not paying attention or simply does not care about the other road users ...particularly when they are at fault and pull the denial it wasn't me card out of the pack ....dash cams have put a stop to other peoples lies and denials and in my opinion are well worth installing so if it is an unavoidable event you paying attention , watching where you are going and driving defensively may or may not help to avoid an accident ...but one thing for sure is the dashcam recording the events gives the party's involved little wriggle room for denial or false statement.

• Like 9

cookie47

Insurance companies are increasingly using Dashcam vision to secure evidence relating to motor vehicle accidents.
Some companies are moving in the direction of giving discounts to customers that are willing to fit Dashcams as they (the Dashcams) have been around long enough now to support statistics that they are a very useful tool. Some high end models now have a Gsensor that is able to tell at what angle the impact occurred even if its out of vision, also as seen on YouTube "Some" British police cars not only have forward facing units, but two small cameras built into the rear bumper at each corner, (very covertly)....

Sorry,,,, JTM paying attention and driving skills which i commend and support you 100% unfortunately don't have much to do with some lunatic doing something stupid and then playing the "prove it was me card".

I don't own a car at this point but its one of the first things i would fit. In a earlier thread I said I had one in Australia, not a mirror model it was a stand alone device.... it had a windscreen ball mount. On leaving my 4wd i would swivel it towards the drivers window.
I got a few good mug shots of people peering through the window. (for whatever reason)..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SkyMan
3 hours ago, lamoe said:

Now have two Ekleva car cams. Rearview mirror and windshield infrared (DC36)

If not too much trouble, could you post a short sample video from each of  these?

13 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Sorry,,,, JTM paying attention and driving skills which i commend and support you 100% unfortunately don't have much to do with some lunatic doing something stupid and then playing the "prove it was me card".

Quite agreed and it's also about security if you have that feature which I think most do.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

thanks for the info guys and i stand corrected.   as we speak i'm on the way to the store to buy a few of these cams. 

• Like 1

oztony
40 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

it was a stand alone device

We have got 4 vehicles and 3 of them have stand alone dash cams that were about $300 each ..so not the most expensive but not the low end either ...

• Like 3

Jack Rat
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

I put reminder on phone - not being sarcastic  - got mirror cam in Sept.

Use reflective shield when parking outside during day -  leave windows open about 1/2"  - still protected by rain shields

I have had my (almost undetectable) mirror cam for around four years and it has never missed a beat. I have been involved in two minor accidents, both with me not being at fault..On both occasions raised voices and serious finger pointing by both parties soon subsided after showing the drivers at fault I have them on camera. Licences and addresses were then exchanged without any further problems. I don't expect the cam to last forever and have another one on hand ready to install when the current one dies. For a mere $50 AU truly one of the best investments I have made in the Philippines.

• Like 6

Dafey
2 hours ago, oztony said:

Its about catching on camera the other driver of the other vehicle , who is not paying attention or simply does not care about the other road user

So....I may not be at fault just because I'm a foreigner?

• Like 2

oztony
2 minutes ago, Dafey said:

So....I may not be at fault just because I'm a foreigner?

Which is even more reason to have one in the Philippines ...although their laws work differently..........   

• Like 4

SkyMan
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Insurance companies are increasingly using Dashcam vision to secure evidence relating to motor vehicle accidents.
Some companies are moving in the direction of giving discounts to customers that are willing to fit Dashcams as they (the Dashcams) have been around long enough now to support statistics that they are a very useful tool.

As long as I can edit the file down to the accident part.

• Like 1

lamoe
58 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

If not too much trouble, could you post a short sample video from each of  these?

Quite agreed and it's also about security if you have that feature which I think most do.

32 gig, can be set on 1, 3, or 5 min loops

Also has G sensor while driving to securely save footage and Parking Guard

Will do

image.thumb.png.c38c2283366d22d0214e18456ec9ae24.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

cookie47
Yeh, no problem with editing the file should you need,

My cam had a 20 minute loop on "non hd" "or much much Less on HD thus the loops are quite short so editing is somewhat unnecessary....

It was quite surprising how decent the vision was on non HD,

The file format on mine was. . MOV
that free software could edit.

• Like 1

lamoe
8 hours ago, Dafey said:

let us know in September how they are working. Most of the failures in dash cams come from heat.

Checked operating temp specs - can't vouch for accuracy

-15 C  / 80C    (5 F / 176F)

39 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Yeh, no problem with editing the file should you need,

My cam had a 20 minute loop on "non hd" "or much much Less on HD thus the loops are quite short so editing is somewhat unnecessary....

It was quite surprising how decent the vision was on non HD,

The file format on mine was. . MOV
that free software could edit.

Same

180HD, 720 P, VGA

Woolf
5 minutes ago, lamoe said:

180HD, 720 P, VGA

1080  ??