Sign in to follow this  
PeterC

Dash Cam

PeterC

In the Philippines, most car are tinted, dash cam with sucker will be attached to the tint of the wind screen.

I wonder, in the hot weather of Philippines.

1. Will the sucker pull the tint apart from the wind screen?

2. Will the high temperature, especially when parked in an uncovered area, soften the sucker and let the dash cam fall?

Edited by PeterC

Jack Rat
1 minute ago, PeterC said:

In the Philippines, most car are tinted, dash cam with sucker will be attached to the tint of the wind screen.

I wonder, in the hot weather of Philippines,

1. Will the sucker pull the tint apart from the wind screen.

2. Will the high temperature, especially when parked in an uncovered area, soften the sucker and let the dash cam fall.

Maybe a 'mirror cam' is the way to go, and it is almost undetectable.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

just cut out the portion of the tint where you want to mount the cam and attack it to the glass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barryrio

Still falls off in the hot sun. I bought a high-end cam in Oz but it still drops off if the car is left in hot sun for a few hours. I agree that the mirror mounted option is probably the most suited to this climate!

• Like 3

lamoe

Depends on tint film?. I went med and had view window cut out

Her St Nino is on the dash - have used several types of adhesive tape - all failed

However

The holder for the phone  - old US doesn't work here - I use for navigation is just the opposite - damn near possible for it to let go - gets sticker the hotter it gets - suction but not even needed

Something like this

138 Mall Colon next to Colonaid

image.thumb.png.314b28f443e72e0959339682d385018f.png

Edited by lamoe

GBT62

+1 on the mirror mount option..... my iPhone suction mount falls off every couple of weeks whether it has a phone in it or not  - wiped screen or tinted seems to make little difference if the car is left in the sun often.

My "over mirror" dashcam hasn't failed - though if the car is left for a long time in the sun, it is a little heavy for the mirror and does tend to droop for a while till the car interior cools again.   That might be very dependent on the car make (and mirror ball lube they use) of course... 

• Like 2

lamoe

Yep about the mirror mounted cam and mirror drooping - I added some double sticky foam tape  between mirror and cam to reduce vibrations

Suction cup seems to be melting into dash - thing is, no residue - just sticky like one of those "wall sitck'em" toys

• Like 1

GBT62

Geckskin would hold it nicely on the screen or dash and leave no marks. Once a few more companies license that technology it'll come down in price and might replace a lot of suction mounts ...

https://geckskin.umass.edu/

• Like 1

Jack Rat
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

Yep about the mirror mounted cam and mirror drooping - I added some double sticky foam tape  between mirror and cam to reduce vibrations

Suction cup seems to be melting into dash - thing is, no residue - just sticky like one of those "wall sitck'em" toys

About 3 years ago I installed 'Mirror cams' on both of my vehicles, I've never had a problem with them.The camera is built into the mirror so no need to use tapes etc and is almost undetectable. The unit is connected to the cigarette lighter outlet so no need for untidy, unsightly wires and so simple to install.. The units can be purchased online for under $50 AU per unit. 

lamoe
14 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

About 3 years ago I installed 'Mirror cams' on both of my vehicles, I've never had a problem with them.The camera is built into the mirror so no need to use tapes etc and is almost undetectable. The unit is connected to the cigarette lighter outlet so no need for untidy, unsightly wires and so simple to install.. The units can be purchased online for under $50 AU per unit. 

I looked for one like that

The one I settled on is now 1,300 P?

Ran the wires along  windshield - easy to tuck in

Jack Rat
3 minutes ago, lamoe said:

3 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Yes, ten minutes work.

lamoe
2 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

Yes, ten minutes work.

Took 1/2 hour to screw in rear cam and run wire so it didn't get snagged

This one 280 P at 138  1st floor  180 for the smaller one like I have

May get it so phone is not in line of sight at night when using gps

image.png.bd56d752016918c8d3715bda0fc3c4eb.png

Edited by lamoe

Goetz1965

Windows in my Car are tinted by design - no foil.
My Camera falls off once every 3-4 month but then I just put in on again - done. So whats the problem ?

Woolf

park your car in the sun, clean the area for the suction cup with alcohol

clean the suction cup with alcohol

put the holder/suction cup in the sun to heat it up a bit

give the suction cup a little silicon and wipe it off lightly

now install the holder, make sure no air left inside

that should fix it for a while

• Like 2

oztony
10 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

So whats the problem ?

It keeps falling off that's the problem........

We have got 3 dashcams , they were 250 bucks each ,no probs to date but we are in a dry climate where heat is concerned , I don't like the suction cup idea they always slip off sooner or later , the stick to screen setup is the way to go , if the glue failed from the proprietary manufacture I would clean off any residual of what was there and just use a little bit of 2 part epoxy to fix it back onto the windscreen ...will be the last time you visit that problem.  

• Like 1