A_Simple_Man

Donations

A_Simple_Man

I was looking at my profile wondering what an "elite user group" was.  I did not have any luck finding a list of user groups and what they mean but I did notice donations = 0

So I wondered how far back the donations label remembers.  Is it donations since the forum started a dozen or so years ago?  Is it donations since the current owner bought the forum? Or is it:  Yeah, you donated long ago but what have you done for me lately?  My curiosity arises as I used to be a member of the donor group but that is going back to Paul's time so how often are donations expected in order to show up as a donor?

And by the way, where is the link to say what all the different user groups mean?

• Thanks 1

Salty Dog

The donations count for a year. If you donated within the past year, it should show that you are a sponsor or one of the jeweled sponsors. The new owner hadn't changed anything, other than he hadn't been removing people from being a sponsor when their year was up. The software does this automatically, but it appears many members status was entered manually, so the software wasn't controlling their status. This has been recently corrected.

To answer your question about what an elite member is:

New members are members with 0-20 posts
Full Members are members with 21-200 posts
Elite members are members with over 200 posts.

Sponsor is someone who has donated to the forum within the past year.

Jeweled Sponsors are based on donations of a specific amount within the past year. The amounts use to be higher, but were reduced by the new owner. For example, a Triple Diamond Sponsor use to be $150 or more. Sponsors are granted more reputations per day, higher total allowed attachments, higher attachment size limits and so on.

Opal Sponsor $15.00 - $24.99
Sapphire Sponsor $25.00 - $34.99
Emerald Sponsor $35.00 - $44.99
Ruby Sponsor $45.00 - $69.99
Diamond Sponsor $70.00 - $99.99
Triple Diamond Sponsor $100.00 or more

Below is a recent post of mine explaining the reputation system that is somewhat linked to donations.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:37 PM, Salty Dog said:

New and Full members can not see who gave them a reaction (Like). Only that they received one.

The reputation system enables users to earn reputation points when other users react to their content. A user's community-wide reputation total is shown next to their content and in their profile, and counts towards features such as the Popular Contributors block and Leaderboard ranking.

Reactions award reputation points to the author of the content. Each reaction can increase or decrease the author's reputation points total (or leave it unchanged). There are currently no reactions that decrease a members reputation points total. There is a "Dislike" which removes a reputation point, but it is currently disabled. There are however 2 Neutral (don't award a reputation point). These are the "Sad" and "Confused" reaction.

In profiles, the member's total reputation will show along with a description from specified levels. Currently, these levels are so low that most active members have "Really bored when not online" which means they've received 150 or more reputation points.

Reactions reset each day. The Philippine timezone is used to calculate when the day begins and ends.

The following Membership groups comprise the bulk of the forum's membership.

Full Members 25 per day. Can't view who reacted.

Elte Members 40 per day. Can view who reacted.

Sponsor 80 per day. Can view who reacted.

Jeweled Sponsors (there are 6 levels) 100 - 200 per day. Can view who reacted.

The current version of the reputation system was instituted when this generation of the software was first installed in 2016.

I think the reason for the differences were to encourage and reward members to become sponsors.

• Thanks 2

Enuff

The donations count for a year. If you donated within the past year

The former forum owner had a tier called Lifetime membership, which was prior to the current system, which he set up years ago.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, Enuff said:

The former forum owner had a tier called Lifetime membership, which was prior to the current system, which he set up years ago.

The current donation system was set up by the original owner of the forum. As far as I know, it was only changed to include the Jeweled Members. Maybe that's when he dropped the Lifetime membership. When I mentioned a change due to the new software. I was talking about the reputation system, not the donation system.

4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

The current version of the reputation system was instituted when this generation of the software was first installed in 2016.

One of the old timers mention it to me not long ago. I was a member before you and I've always paid yearly. If there was a lifetime membership, I don't remember it.

Members are not required to donate. Personally, I felt I got much more from the forum than what I donated monetarily speaking. Some members feel that they are sharing their wisdom with other members and that's payment enough. I no longer live in the Philippines, but I still consider the forum a source of entertainment and social networking with many members who I now consider friends. To each his own...

There was never a Lifetime Member user group, so Lifetime Members must have been listed in the Sponsor Members group.

How much of a donation was required to be a lifetime member?

I guess we could have one, if there were enough interest.

I doubt there would be much interest though. Only 33 members and one guest have donated in the past 18 months. Of those 33 members, only 12 have donated in the past 12 months.

Enuff
One of the old timers mention it to me not long ago. I was a member before you and I've always paid yearly. If there was a lifetime membership, I don't remember it.
Members are not required to donate. Personally, I felt I got much more from the forum than what I donated monetarily speaking. Some members feel that they are sharing their wisdom with other members and that's payment enough. I no longer live in the Philippines, but I still consider the forum a source of entertainment and social networking with many members who I now consider friends. To each his own...
There was never a Lifetime Member user group, so Lifetime Members must have been listed in the Sponsor Members group.
How much of a donation was required to be a lifetime member?
 I guess we could have one, if there were enough interest.
I doubt there would be much interest though. Only 33 members and one guest have donated in the past 18 months. Of those 33 members, only 12 have donated in the past 12 months.
The old lifetime membership was $250 but went away with the jewelled system. If I recall correctly you also received about 4 or 5 free ebooks at the time.

• Thanks 1

A_Simple_Man
9 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Sponsor is someone who has donated to the forum within the past year.

Just asking to clarify:  So an Opal sponsor donated $15 to $24.99 (and it is assumed we are talking about US$) so is someone who donated $10 just "a donor" or does not even count?

Second, are donations required to keep the forum operating or is there ad revenue or other income that keeps the forum alive.  I guess I asking if donations are more of a "thank you" to the owner or a "need to have" to keep the forum running?

lamoe

Part of the revenue is from the ads

I try to click on one or more everyday - I believe they know which site you got the link from.

That helps LINC

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Just asking to clarify:  So an Opal sponsor donated $15 to $24.99 (and it is assumed we are talking about US$) so is someone who donated $10 just "a donor" or does not even count?

Second, are donations required to keep the forum operating or is there ad revenue or other income that keeps the forum alive.  I guess I asking if donations are more of a "thank you" to the owner or a "need to have" to keep the forum running?

A member who donates less than $15 (American) would be shown as a Sponsor. 

I don't have access to the forum's records of operating expenses or it's ad revenues other than member's classified ads.

I would guess the main operating expenses are the software licence which is renewed yearly, the server space for the forum and technical support.

There are probably many different reasons why someone might donate. 

• Thanks 1

soupeod

11. Sponsors - Subscriptions & Donations

Joining / Upgrading Membership - All members, whether having just joined or if you have been on the site for a while, may choose to donate to the site. By donating to the site, you will be upgraded to a "Sponsor or Jeweled Sponsor" member. Jeweled Sponsors are based on donations within a specific amount and are for one year from donation. Upon successfully donating, you will be moved into the appropriate user group.

Jeweled Sponsors - are granted more reputations per day, higher total allowed attachments, higher attachment size limits and so on, depending on their sponsor status.

Opal Sponsor $15.00 - $24.99

Sapphire Sponsor $25.00 - $34.99

Emerald Sponsor $35.00 - $44.99

Ruby Sponsor $45.00 - $69.99

Diamond Sponsor $70.00 - $99.99

Triple Diamond Sponsor $100.00 or more

Alternative - If you choose to donate an amount between $5.00 - $14.99 USD to the site, you will become a member of the Sponsor user group.

Worked like a charm, thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1