Any Western Style Butchers On Camiguin

James Williams

James Williams

I am an Aussie and visit Camiguin regularly with my beautiful Filipina wife who was born on Camiguin. I can't seem to find a butcher shop apart from the wet market in Mambajao. Manila has many butcher shops but from my research there aren't many elsewhere in the Philippines.Can anyone in this forum enlighten me please? Maybe a good opportunity for someone to start one up. Many thanks in anticipation - James

Welcome to the board!

Go to Bonita's early and they will custom cut some pork for you.

There is a slaughter house up the road if you are interested in a large quantity.

If you are looking for beef, forget about it! :idontknow:

Funny, last, last, last weekend I was in Alcoy at Triple B's Resort. I met a fellow from Texas there, a retired butcher on vacation. I said dude, that's s profession you can make a lot of money doing here. He said he's trucking now and has 2 years until retirement.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

James Williams

Thanks for your post Enuff. I do love pork but it makes me crook in the stomach so I am virtually restricted to Chicken and I do crave beef while I am there in the Phils. I go to Sbarros in Ayala Shopping Mall in Cebu to get some nice Lasagne or other meat dishes. But I do wish a butcher would open a shop in Mambajao. Maybe one in the new mall there that Gaisano's are opening soon. Many Regards - James.

Australians, ( and all other meatlovers ) who live , or spend a lot of time here, learn to do without Steak, or beef generally , as a staple meat source .
Rather, a special occasion meal, in a hard to find , not inexpensive restaurant ..in the big city !
Enuff is a great tracker down of good meat , especially burgers and steaks ..but even he ..flies to Manila for a steak !

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
James Williams

Thanks Gus, Bert told me about a place called "Kiwi Lodge" in Cebu which serves great meat pies. So a visit there is on the menu next time I am in Cebu. Regards - James

JamesMusslewhite

Some areas have decent meat shops but they are far between. Here in Surigao City you can find beef but with gaps when available. There are beef raisers farther down South on Mindanao. The issue is quality grasses and grazing lands needed to raise quality beef. Most up here only raise a few each year so you have to be hooked into the bamboo-network to know when they are slaughtering. Another issue is finding properly cured beef as few have standup coolers needed to hang the sides while they cure. Mostly it is a auntie is killing her cow this evening how many kilos do you want? And they just chunk-cut like they do a pig.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Thanks Gus, Bert told me about a place called "Kiwi Lodge" in Cebu which serves great meat pies. So a visit there is on the menu next time I am in Cebu. Regards - James
I used to stay there ,and often took pies back to friends in the province ..( and consumed more than a few myself )
That was in the days when Dick, a kiwi owner was in command and the venue was known for its excellent food offerings ..
He is no longer there so I would hope they have maintained the quality.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

JamesMusslewhite
3 hours ago, Gus said:

I used to stay there ,and often took pies back to friends in the province ..( and consumed more than a few myself )
That was in the days when Dick, a kiwi owner was in command and the venue was known for its excellent food offerings ..
He is no longer there so I would hope they have maintained the quality.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

Back home in Houston we had pockets of old German, Swedish and Polish communities and had great choices in meats and sausages but what I miss is a meat pie which used smoke brisket (pecan wood). They would take a large cooking pan with deep sides and line the bottom and sides with mash potatoes and then stuff the middle with diced brisket meat. Then they would add a thick mash potato topping and slide it into an oven and let it bake. Once the potato started to brown they would pull it out and cover the top with graded cheeses. Then they would slide it back into the oven and bake until the cheese browned. 

Pour a little barbecue sauce over the top and then eat yourself into a coma. I have wanted to build a small clay oven just so I could bake those pies. It is the only craving that in the last 10 years I have not been able to satisfy. But if you get the ingredients and try to make them yourself, you will be certainly rewarded for you efforts.      

• Like 2

Culinary Delights in Agoho often has Australian beef (and Vegemite)

Take the barangay road opposite the cemetery, 300 mt on the right

Owners Maricelle and German/Australian Christian are owners.

They are both members of the Facebook group "Camiguin Expats"

KonC

• Like 1
James Williams

Thanks Kenny, I will make a copy of your post and put it with our important documents for our next trip to Camiguin. This is great information and I thank U for the time U put in to this post. All the best - James.

No problem James.

By the way I manage Mabini Lodge just outside Mambajao.

KonC

James Williams

Oh, That is where we want to stay next time we come. But, I have Osteo Arthritis in my knees and we would want a self catering ground floor unit. I realise these units are in great demand. We normally stay at the Lagoon Resort in Benoni but last time it was very run down and I don't think Gaime plans to restore the units. The ground floor has been condemned. But the food is fabulous. Only 30 bucks per night but the water runs out during brown outs and the wiring is very dangerous. So now I will contact U when we are coming again huh? Or would U prefer we go through the normal booking procedure. Thank U so much for this info Kenny. Regards James.