PhilsFan

Powering a Voltage regulator @220v with a 110V Honda generator?

Woolf

please note this:

regulator.png

• Thanks 2

M.C.A.
2 minutes ago, Woolf said:

please note this:

regulator.png

Good one... I was running a fan, my desktop and a crockpot on my 1,500-watt voltage regulator and it started overheating the internal fan kept coming on and I could hear issues with the servo working back and forth so 60% of the rated capacity makes sense.

• Like 1

lamoe
50 minutes ago, PhilsFan said:

Thanks yes, aware of what items can be used TV/Computer etc. Primarily concerned with A/C, refrigerator (220V) and keeping wifi up and running in a power outage. I need to be able to work through power outs.

Just checked my WIFI plug - 100 - 240 V in - 12 V 500 Mah out = 6 Watts

A 20,000 Mah 12 V Powerbank could also serve as a backup but quality is a concern here

Will NOT last 40 hours (capacity typically rated at 3.7 V not 5 or 12)

This one  - not cheap $500 - will give you maybe 60 / 65 hours

https://www.anker.com/deals/powerhouse2

Problem could be your provider if you lose do they also?

• Like 1

Woolf

I am pretty sure that Philsfans  computer, tv and wifi can run from 110/120 volt 

the a/c  fridge etc  will not be able to run from a 0.5  regulator,  no way

• Like 2

PhilsFan
20 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I am pretty sure that Philsfans  computer, tv and wifi can run from 110/120 volt 

the a/c  fridge etc  will not be able to run from a 0.5  regulator,  no way

The fridge runs on it now off house 220V power. It's a smaller apartment-sized fridge and it's the only thing plugged into it. My AC unit is a 1/2 hp..not sure if it will run with this unit or not...I can always buy a bigger one..as long as it will accept 110V input power.

PhilsFan

I dug out the old box it came in and checked the manual. It does indicate a 110V-250V voltage range. Woolf got me to thinking I may be overpowering it with fridge. The unit was nice and cool after the compressor was running for quite some time...so no problem there. 

I think this is going to work. One way to find out, Lol. I will report back tomorrow and let you all know if I burned my house down! 

Thanks for all the help guys.

cogon88

This is a Voltage Regulator it is not a step up transformer it just protects your appliances from power surges if you plug it into a 110 volt generator your going to output 110 volts out only but regulated from surges

If you put 220 volts into it  you will get 220 volts or 110 volts if it has a 110 volt outlet market on it 

If you hook it up to your 110 volt generator and try to run a 220 volt appliance make sure you make a video of it be interesting to watch

• Thanks 1

Woolf
19 minutes ago, cogon88 said:

This is a Voltage Regulator it is not a step up transformer it just protects your appliances from power surges if you plug it into a 110 volt generator your going to output 110 volts out only but regulated from surges

WRONG

It is a voltage regulator, not a surge protector

I can see that you did not take any the links provided

below you see the inside the regulator, it is an automatic variac regulator

TB2jFZ4qFXXXXb4XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2453825614.jpg

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1

cogon88

Well lets plug it into a 11O out let but a 22O volt load on it and Hide and watch That will be the true test for sure 

• Haha 1