Never Forget

Headshot

I was stationed in Guam at the time up at Andersen AFB the squadron used to be HC-5 and getting off the late night shift and in duty office they brought it to my attention, I thought it was some sort of gag it didn't much sense and then I stayed up nearly all night long watching the events, I was on my way to pick up my wife at the airport she was coming back to Guam from the Philippines, didn't happen and her flight was delayed two weeks.

• Thanks 1

Chicago  - O'Hare airport - on plane in line for takeoff - going to convention in Vegas - 8 hours to get back to terminal get bus to Rockford

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we lived in England an older, retired English couple lived next door.The husbands name was Bob.One day Bob came to our house to show us what he had received in the post. Bob who was typically unflappable, was giddy with excitement about the invitation that he had received to have tea with the Queen mum.An organization called Lest We Forget was to honor Bob for his service during WW2.Bob had fought in Normandy where he had lost an eye.When he returned home he showed me the nice citation that he had received for his service.

I note that its Sept 11 in NYC now.

Everyone recalls the senseless killing of thousands of civilians from dozens of nations when the twin towers came down.The Pentagon was also hit that day and a number of people were killed for doing no more wrong than going to work.11years later the Embassy in Benghazi was attacked and several people killed.What happened to Ambassador Stevens and the politics that followed still gall me to this day.

Anyway, everyone that chooses to should take a moment and reflect upon these events. Lest We Forget.

towers.jpg.acb10dc7efcfb188be26d3afa265ac55.jpg

bengazi.jpg.6ff4575b2a94d62c995b22e42cbdef8a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
the.lone.gunman

Heard it on the truck radio on the way to work. I knew right away that the world had just changed and that the US would unleash hell.

• Like 1
HongKongPhooey

Watched it from 38th and 3rd. Clear shot downtown.  Everyone in the office thought a news copter hit the building, laughing about it- no big deal- Very harsh memory, the way we acted; but who would have thought someone would intentionally fly a plane into a building?

Then we saw the second plane hit- any of you conspiracy types that think planes didn’t hit these buildings...? (I personally saw it; at least the second one).

Two months later I got orders to put back on the uniform. Never spent time in the sandbox myself. Spent all my time stateside at Fort Bragg sending people there- but I tried to do my part. 

My respect and love to those who fought and died to bring justice to those almost 3,000 who perished that day.

Seems everyone forgets how united the United States was on a particular September 12. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Mr. Mike

I had just pulled into the parking ramp at Hewlett Packard in Atlanta....about 08.45. The news of the first plane strike came over the car radio. I didn't think much of it, and I had a rather large teleconference to prepare for at 09:00. Soon after the conference started, the second plane hit the second tower. Everyone on the conference went silent as they heard about it.....The  reality of the second plane strike sank in and we concluded the teleconference at the point......very sad day.

• Thanks 1

Turned on the news minutes before the second tower was hit.  There was still hope that it was just a horrible accident.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mr. Mike said:

I had just pulled into the parking ramp at Hewlett Packard in Atlanta....about 08.45. The news of the first plane strike came over the car radio. I didn't think much of it, and I had a rather large teleconference to prepare for at 09:00. Soon after the conference started, the second plane hit the second tower. Everyone on the conference went silent as they heard about it.....The  reality of the second plane strike sank in and we concluded the teleconference at the point......very sad day.

Very similar to my memory... Driving to big sales meeting presentation at Texas A&M Library.   Clear beautiful fall morning.  It finally felt like fall!  Heard the news of the first plane strike... thought it was a light plane...  then still driving on the highway heard about the second strike.. had to pull over at a Quick Stop and we were all watching the earliest news accounts still not fathoming really what had happend.  By the time I reached campus it was clear that The world had changed... and there was no point carrying on with our  presentation.  We just left the projector on to CNN and the room filled with to capacity everyone jaws open.

called Sister who was planning a big Bday party ...she was in tears and a mess...

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

Of all of the death and violence that occurred this day, seventeen years ago....the twenty plus victims jumping out of tower windows and the brave first responders answering the call...…..What really got to me. I mean truly gave me a visceral reaction, was the 340 plus NYFD firefighters that answered the call, left their engines on the street, and dutifully went into those two towers...………… and never returned alive.

….340 fire fighters,,,,and dozens of police from multiple departments.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

Watched it from 38th and 3rd. Clear shot downtown.  Everyone in the office thought a news copter hit the building, laughing about it- no big deal- Very harsh memory, the way we acted; but who would have thought someone would intentionally fly a plane into a building?

Then we saw the second plane hit- any of you conspiracy types that think planes didn’t hit these buildings...? (I personally saw it; at least the second one).

Two months later I got orders to put back on the uniform. Never spent time in the sandbox myself. Spent all my time stateside at Fort Bragg sending people there- but I tried to do my part. 

My respect and love to those who fought and died to bring justice to those almost 3,000 who perished that day.

Seems everyone forgets how united the United States was on a particular September 12. 

Sure wish more people would come forward like yourself who witnessed the plane hit the Twin Towers even my brother is convinced it was a conspiracy but I never hear much it's rare.  There were two videos playing on either CNN or Fox and I remember watching one plane headed to the Pentagon flying really low over the highway and the other plane hit from the street view one of the twin towers and I've never seen these videos again.

• Like 2

I was checking in on my second assignment at the National Air and Space Intelligence Center at Wright-Patt.  Called my X and woke her up,  Turn on the news, what channel, doesn't matter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, M.C.A. said:

Sure wish more people would come forward like yourself who witnessed the plane hit the Twin Towers even my brother is convinced it was a conspiracy but I never hear much it's rare.  There were two videos playing on either CNN or Fox and I remember watching one plane headed to the Pentagon flying really low over the highway and the other plane hit from the street view one of the twin towers and I've never seen these videos again.

They did an episode on this on the tv show Air Disasters. I believe the one whole episode was devoted to the Pentagon strike.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

This is a serious topic and very emotional for some. Not a place for humor or politics.

A thread was hidden and it's why I'm making this statement. If it happens again there will be consequences 

• Like 2