Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Super Typhoon Ompong

Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Snide comments are NOT appreciated ... especially from a mod.

Please refer to the unwritten rules !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Woolf

I do not care what you see and where you see it

but

when you write km/h   it is still kilometers per hour

• Like 3

BossHog

Latest advisory from JTWC hot off the presses...

wp2618.thumb.gif.3ab2adcd25061fc881d83b5c1e2362ef.gif

• Like 3

TimL

Lets see if we can make some sense out of this.

according to typhoon2000.ph the storm is currently @ 260 kph.

if that’s knots, the winds are 299 mph... hmmm. Doesn’t sound right. 

if it’s kilometers per hour, it’s 161 mph. Sound much more plausible.

just my 2 cents but either way, anyone in its path should batten down the hatches.

• Like 3

JamesMusslewhite
10 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Latest advisory from JTWC hot off the presses...

wp2618.thumb.gif.3ab2adcd25061fc881d83b5c1e2362ef.gif

Well I am glad we will be little effected here on this little island as I am mere feet from the shoreline and only a couple of feet above sea level. Twice a year the water will actually enters the front two rooms of the house during high-tide, so any tidal-serge from a typhoon storm event can quickly become an issue. I do feel sorry for those who will be facing the direct impact from this storm as they could be facing life threatening situations quickly.  

• Like 3

TimL
14 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Well I am glad we will be little effected here on this little island as I am mere feet from the shoreline and only a couple of feet above sea level. Twice a year the water will actually enters the front two rooms of the house during high-tide, so any tidal-serge from a typhoon storm event can quickly become an issue. I do feel sorry for those who will be facing the direct impact from this storm as they could be facing life threatening situations quickly.  

Yes, I’m glad also as I will be heading to your neck of the woods this weekend. The last thing I want to do is get caught in a major storm while I’m there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BossHog
22 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Well I am glad we will be little effected here on this little island as I am mere feet from the shoreline and only a couple of feet above sea level.

The peak wave heights will be tomorrow in our area James. Expecting 3.5 meter* waves on the east coast of Siargao on Thursday. The surfers are stoked.

*Metric meters not American meters.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 5

Enuff
The peak wave heights will be tomorrow in our area James. Expecting 3.5 meter* waves on the east coast of Siargao on Thursday. The surfers are stoked.

*Metric meters not American meters.
Can you please post a conversion table

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

Latest advisory from JTWC hot off the presses

Looks like sustained winds of 145 kTS while over the water, dropping 120kTS when it hits land.  Would you concur?

(That translates to 268 kPH over water, dropping to 222 kPH when it hits land with gusts much higher)

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 1

Jawny

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/nauticalmile_knot.html

For future reference, the link is provided.

Also, wine is beverage that is consumed by opening a mouth. A whine is the result of a thick headed person with thin skin opens their mouth in response.

• Haha 5

Dafey
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

When I said I was seeing 156 kilometers per hour, Bosshog said he was seeing 156 knots per hour.

Can you and Bosshog please come to an agreement? Now you are telling me it is in kilometers per hour (which makes more sense), but since there is no legend on these interactive maps, there is no way for the average Joe (me) to know whether km/h is kilometers per hour or knot miles per hour. It makes a huge difference in the calculation to miles per hour.

Snide comments are NOT appreciated ... especially from a mod.

Sorry...if we can't laugh at ourselves...( I should have used the :sarcasm:symbol so you knew it wasjust in fun)

I'm not sure what reports you are looking at...it doesn't matter.

If you see Km/h they are quoting in kilometers per hour

If you are seeing Kts they are reporting Knots

1 Kmh = .62 miles an hour (that's a little more than half a mile an hour)

1 Kt = 1.15 miles an hour

sooooo....bottom line, this is a HUGE storm and should not be taken lightly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TimL

Here’s an update that I just read in PhilStar. Sheesh, just when I thought I would be unscathed by this one. ???

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/09/12/1850894/pagasa-warns-heavy-rains-possible-storm-surge-due-mangkhut

Mangkhut” is expected to bring storm surge up from five to six meters upon its landfall in Cagayan. 

“Mangkhut” is also expected to boost the southwest monsoon, which will bring occasional moderate to heavy rains in Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Siquijor, Surigao del Norte, Agusan del Norte, Dinagat Island, Lanao del Sur, Palawan, Bicol region, Eastern Visayas, Palawan, Zamboanga Peninsula, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Palawan and Western Visayas.

The rest of Luzon and Metro Manila may be affected by light to moderate rains with instances of occasional heavy rains with occasional gusty winds starting Friday.

Edited by TimL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MickyG

Despite claims the storm is not moving north as expected. maybe it will later today but at this time it is heading straight for the NCR.

• Like 1

Dafey

Today has been waves of rain in Western Leyte as the storm draws moisture towards it. Tonight the wind is picking up with each wave of rain that comes through.

Expect the weather to keep deteriorating in the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1