Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Super Typhoon Ompong 8 Sep 2018

GBT62

well I just transited Manila on the way back to Cebu. At 4pm there it was grey skies, no rain and no wind to speak of at ground level.

A little turbulence on approach - but nothing more than you expect the day after some Red Lizard ?

MickyG

well it has arrived. first rain in from the east. Not so windy but heavy on thunder lightening etc No marked or noticeable northern deflection yet, still time for that to happen

SkyMan

Was hoping we'd get some rain out of this.  I mowed the lawn today and I always like it if it rains right afterwards.  I tried yesterday but only got a few minutes into it and it started to rain.  That only lasted a few minutes but it looked like it was going to go again which it did.  That one lasted long enough to really soak the grass which stayed wet the rest of the day.

colemanlee

School canceled for Friday also, still great weather with zero problems.  I suspect it will stay the same, kids love the time off and wife is happy she does not have to get up at 0400 to get them to school lol...

• Like 1

JohnSurrey
38 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

School canceled for Friday also, still great weather with zero problems.  I suspect it will stay the same, kids love the time off and wife is happy she does not have to get up at 0400 to get them to school lol...

Tsk tsk ... (no more school talk) nice video for the kids who are at home here:

RogerDuMond

We had heavy breezes all day Thursday from the west, being sucked in by the storm circulation.

Enuff

Light rain in Liloan, stopped at 3am.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BossHog

Maintaining intensity and the track has shifted south a bit more. But the good news is the storm seems to be headed for a very sparsely populated stretch of northern Luzon.

20180913_0830_hm8.x.vis1km.26WMANGKHUT.145kts-906mb-147N-1301E.100pc.jpg.c9959695c1126755f0c3bf46fe77562f.jpg

Woolf

As I said  it IS a monster

friday oct 14   7 pm 2018

typhoon.png

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 4

RR3

BugalBugal report:

Occasional drizzle, moderate winds.

No classes today. Every excuse used to have day-off

• Like 2

BossHog
6 minutes ago, RR3 said:

No classes today. Every excuse used to have day-off

Yep. High school classes canceled for the third day in a row and we're in Mindanao, lol. The teachers are really milking this one for sure.

• Like 2

liquido

Do they have makeup days for all the lost days of school.....Could be a stupid question..

• Like 1

Headshot

Classes are cancelled for Mandaue too. The teachers have nothing to do with policy, and it is policy, at least in Mandaue City (I'm not sure if it is a national policy), that classes be cancelled if a signal 1 is declared by the PCG. Signal 1 has more to do with waves than weather, but it is the only storm warning system available. I guess the politicians would rather err on the side of caution than suffer the consequences if kids are in school when something big hits.

The decision is made the day before the class cancellation, so they don't have the luxury of absolute certainty. If they wait any longer, then teachers and students won't get the word, and they will show up for classes regardless of a last-minute closure. In that case, they will still have a situation if the storm decides to make an unexpected turn. They would rather have to deal with a lost school day with calm weather than deal with students at school during a storm. If the storm had done the unexpected, and turned to the southwest, then people would be singing the politicians' praises for cancelling school.

• Like 1

Richard K

I live about half way between Manila and Baguio. It is only really cloudy here so far @ 7:50 am but the barometer is dropping like a rock. We expect to get a piece of this one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1