Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Super Typhoon Ompong 8 Sep 2018

Dafey
23 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Maybe update the thread title to Super Typhoon Ompong.

As it is said....so it is done!

• Like 1

lolhahaha

The typhoon has caused early harvesting of the crabs and shrimp in the fish ponds around here. Family brought over a whole tricycle full of huge crabs and giant shrimp and didn't want us to pay for the bucket full they gave us. They wanted us to take more but we don't have anywhere to put it. She finally forced 1000 pesos on them though but what a deal!

This is why it's probably better to not tell anyone that the typhoon isn't really going to be in the area. I'm sure the beer drinking and karaoke will be on later on today and tomorrow. Imagine if snow days were this much fun in the US lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

JohnSurrey
1 hour ago, colemanlee said:

They closed the schools here in Tacloban, not sure why seems all we are gonna get out of it is a little rain.

Closed in Baybay - even further away ... our children started school in June ... I don't think they've done more than two full weeks school since then - 1/2 day 4 - teacher seminars - teachers preparing for their acquaintance party - teacher emergency - exam preparation time (for a 4 and 6 year old)... any excuse an they're off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

colemanlee
41 minutes ago, JohnSurrey said:

Closed in Baybay - even further away ... our children started school in June ... I don't think they've done more than two full weeks school since then - 1/2 day 4 - teacher seminars - teachers preparing for their acquaintance party - teacher emergency - exam preparation time (for a 4 and 6 year old)... any excuse an they're off!

Which is exactly why I put my kids in private school, they rarely get a day off, its just I think Tacloban is gun shy since Yolanda...also with any decent amount of rain, downtown Tacloban floods pretty bad...right now, sunny, cool actually beautiful weather....

• Like 4

Bama
43 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Which is exactly why I put my kids in private school, they rarely get a day off, its just I think Tacloban is gun shy since Yolanda...also with any decent amount of rain, downtown Tacloban floods pretty bad...right now, sunny, cool actually beautiful weather....

LVD (Divine Word) is closed today by mayoral decree but I believe this to be the only day this school year that they have missed.

• Thanks 1

MickyG

The storm has slowed from 40kmph to 28kmph. Still no discernable shift to the North.  I am not sure if it is getting stronger as it slows. certainly gives it more time draw energy from the warmer water.  I was expecting a midnight arrival, may now be 03:00 unless it changes speed again.

• Like 3

Soupeod

Stormy clouds south of Ormoc but a nice cool day. School was open.

• Like 1

Dafey
1 hour ago, MickyG said:

Still no discernable shift to the North

It is very subtle but over the last 2 days the forward progress has curved northwards. Still pretty much on the original track and the eye will probably just brush the northern tip of Luzon

• Like 1

Woolf
23 minutes ago, Dafey said:

It is very subtle but over the last 2 days the forward progress has curved northwards. Still pretty much on the original track and the eye will probably just brush the northern tip of Luzon

right  check here 

http://www.typhoon2000.ph/multi/log.php?name=MANGKHUT_2018

and here 

https://www.windy.com/?12.919,127.408,6,m:ebIajy1

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

Also a good map of the curve with the dates...

MANGKHUT.PNG

• Like 2

JohnSurrey
6 hours ago, colemanlee said:

Hahaha... that's as good as gets here in Baybay (PHP20k/year).... they're in the FCIC - supposedly lots of discipline and very strict ... another joke. 

• Confused 1

oztony
10 minutes ago, JohnSurrey said:

Hahaha... that's as good as gets here in Baybay (PHP20k/year).... they're in the FCIC - supposedly lots of discipline and very strict ... another joke. 

Hey , start a school thread and deal with this stuff there ...this ain't the place for it ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

MickyG

NCR just declared all school and gov offices closed tomorrow. get that ATM raid done etc

jtmwatchbiz

all's been well and calm here in cebu city.   hope you guys in other regions catch a break from the storm. 

JohnSurrey
3 hours ago, oztony said:

Hey , start a school thread and deal with this stuff there ...this ain't the place for it ..

Absolutely right oztony I've slapped my wrist for you

Think the only reason we started talking about the schools is because there isn't any bad whether here - We're in Leyte - so not going to be anything near Cebu!

Seriously - we're in Baybay ... couple of mild showers today - about 5 mins each... little breeze here and there... that's it... quite a nice day.

But, without wishing to antagonize you further, as I said to my wife it's wrong of them to close the schools as next time they have a warning and they close the schools ... some will be saying - ahhh nothing to worry about they always do that.... and then it all goes pear shaped...