Waitrose in Rustans Ayala

East Saxon

The Tesco section in SM ,SM City had gone last time I visited and the Waitrose section in Rustans  Ayala was very empty. Has anyone here been to Rustans Ayala recently and noticed if the Waitrose section is still there and stocked up?

Very few items available for many weeks now. No recent Waitrose shipments. But same seems to hold for other Rustans' stock. When I see loads of bottled water filling shelves makes me wonder what their purchasing managers are doing.

East Saxon

I heard that they are being bought by ( I think )  Robinsons,so that would make sense running down stocks.

Headshot

Robinsons buys Rustan retail chain

By: Doris Dumlao-Abadilla - Philippine Daily Inquirer

Competition in local food retailing has further heated up with an P18-billion deal that will allow Gokongwei-led Robinsons Retail Holdings Inc. (RRHI) to take over high-end grocery chain operator Rustan Supercenters.

Rustan Supercenters operates food retail brands “Marketplace by Rustan’s,” “Rustan’s Supermarket,” “Shopwise Hypermarket,” “Shopwise Express” and “Wellcome.” It was formerly owned by the Tantoco family, which eventually sold lock, stock and barrel to a unit of London-listed Dairy Farm International Holdings Ltd.

The Gokongweis have now struck a deal with Dairy Farm unit Mulgrave Corp. B.V (MCBV) to buy the latter’s 100-percent stake in Rustan Supercenters using RRHI stocks as currency.

Certain members of the Gokongwei family intend to sell some of their shares, which will result in the Gokongweis effectively owning 51 percent of the expanded capital of RRHI, the retailer disclosed to the Philippine Stock Exchange late Friday. After the completion of the secondary sale tranche, Dairy Farm, through MCBV, will own 18.25 percent of RRHI.

This transaction boosts RRHI’s position for a three-way competition among major food retailers, said Jose Mari Lacson, head of research at ATR Asset Management. He was referring to the competition with the two leading players, SM Retail and Puregold Price Club Inc.

“It gives them (RRHI) access to the higher end of the market. But they are already there with Robinsons Select. You get the brand though. Supermarkets are the most stable retail business for these guys so in a way it should enhance (RRHI’s business),” Lacson said.

With the prospective consolidation of RRHI and Rustan Supercenters’ businesses, Lacson said it had become a “three-way fight” among food retailing giants.

RRHI grew its core net profit last year by 13.7 percent to P4.7 billion on higher sales from its nationwide store network. Consolidated net sales expanded by 9.4 percent last year to P115.2 billion on the back of a 2.7-percent same-store sales growth alongside the sales contribution from new stores.

The supermarket segment is RRHI’s biggest cash cow, accounting for 45.4 percent of consolidated net sales and 43.7 percent of consolidated cash flow.

Rustan Supercenters is estimated to add around P23 billion in annual revenues to RRHI. Based on its website, Marketplace has 30 stores while Shopwise, which pioneered the hypermarket concept in the Philippines in 1998, has 18 stores. Wellcome has about a dozen stores.

As of end-2017, RRHI operated 154 supermarkets. Including other retailing formats, RRHI had a total of 1,718 stores, on top of the 2,015 franchised stores of pharmaceutical retailer TGP.

http://business.inquirer.net/248260/robinsons-buys-rustan-retail-chain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
East Saxon

What is the latest with Rustans having stock?  I am particularly interested in the Frozen Vegetables range ,I make the 8 hour round trip every few months to stock up on frozen foods and Veg.

If Rustans still do not have a range of Veg ,Cauliflower,Brocoli,Brussels Sprouts and Spinach has anyone found another place to get them?

59 minutes ago, East Saxon said:

What is the latest with Rustans having stock?  I am particularly interested in the Frozen Vegetables range ,I make the 8 hour round trip every few months to stock up on frozen foods and Veg.

If Rustans still do not have a range of Veg ,Cauliflower,Brocoli,Brussels Sprouts and Spinach has anyone found another place to get them?

I don't know much about vegetables but the pastrami at Rustans is top notch.

• Thanks 1
Headshot
6 hours ago, East Saxon said:

About the best selection of fresh veggies is to be found at S&R. They have the only refrigerated produce room in the region. You can also get peaches, nectarines and plums at S&R right now. They also have a fairly good selection of frozen veggies.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Was in Rustans Ayala yesterday afternoon and it seems a new shipment of Waitrose products has arrived - breakfast cereals, canned soups and vegetables, soft drinks, salad dressings, coffee and others but no ice cream.  Same also for the French products just along the shelves to the right of the Waitrose items - plenty of canned vegetables, cookies/biscuits, chocolate and others.

Nice surprise yesterday as we needed to restock on various food items after being away from Cebu for a while and we found plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits available.  Previously, Monday was often not a good day to shop there as the shelves had been pretty much cleared of products over the weekend.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:58 PM, yingy52 said:

I don't know much about vegetables but the pastrami at Rustans is top notch.

Yingi as you are in cavite which rustans you use, Daang Hari?

35 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Yingi as you are in cavite which rustans you use, Daang Hari?

Closest one to me is the Alabang one. Rarely get there though because of the traffic. I prefer shopping for imported stuff at S&R Imus. About 40 min. away. I don't recommend the Pastrami at S&R. It's tough and not sliced as thin as Rustans.

Made a quick trip to Rustans Banawa this afternoon as its close to home. Also very well stocked now including plenty of Waitrose products.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yingy52 said:

Closest one to me is the Alabang one. Rarely get there though because of the traffic. I prefer shopping for imported stuff at S&R Imus. About 40 min. away. I don't recommend the Pastrami at S&R. It's tough and not sliced as thin as Rustans.

Yes we use the SR at alabang. the rustans at Dang Haari alabang is very much hit and miss. the one tucked inside Ayala alabang village even more so

daang Hari is the location of Rustans alabang. The name of the road it sits on is daang hari, the dual carriage way that joins alabang to Molino. Also that area with new residences is called Daang Hari Alabang