Need advice on how to set up a move to the Phils

goggleye

goggleye
2 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

USAA is a good bank if you were in the military ever. They also refund atm fees. Once you get here, you want to use your US dl to get a philippine one. All you have to do is have a valid drivers lic and you don't have to take the driving test. And yes, most states won't renew more than once without a personal appearance. We had our checks deposited locally for most of the time we have been here, just recently switched it to USAA and just use the ATM for cash. You should sign up for Philhealth asap, it isn't expensive and it pays well. Most of the guys say don't buy for at least a year, I would extend that time period. It may be hard to sell something later and get your money out of it. We pay $175 a month, and it's an ok place. We have four dogs, three cats and 12 chickens, and a 7 year old, and they all find room to play in the yard.  Where you live will depend a lot of what you have to spend, just like anywhere else. Personally, I don't think it is very cheap to live here, other than rent and labor. Our electricity is $250 a month, and in Florida, it wouldn't be much over a hundred. I don't like most of the fruits and vegetables here, because they have very little taste, unless they are imported and then they cost an arm and a leg. Im just one guy, lots of guys love it here, and will never leave. Me, I have had enough. 

you are right about the finances  many things there cost as much or more than the USA   But I would like to try it out   my wife is homesick for her family too.   I'm ready to get out of here and try a different kind of life for awhile.    I bought a pretty nice trailer here for almost nothing and just pay a lot rent in a +55 park -I am a simple kind of guy    I didnt want to buy a house and be tied down  -   so I can come back to Florida and do the same thing again if I get tired of the Philippines.  I would be glad to sell this trailer to anyone for almost nothing if they are ready to come back to the USA   Main occupant has to be over 55  spouse must be at least 45 years old.   small dogs are ok but there is a small charge in lot rent

Edited by goggleye
SkyMan

I haven't found a need to keep any state residency.  I came here from Ohio.  I filed a partial year return for the one month I was there and haven't filed state taxes since.  I vote in Ohio based on my last address there.  I did keep up my DL for a while but the last 2 trips there I've had no problems renting a car on my PI DL.  If I do go back and need to get a DL I'll get one in So Dak.  Their requirement for residency is that you spend a night there in a hotel or whatever.  So Dak is also a no income tax state.  Lots of RVers use So Dak for DLs and plates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
goggleye

Lots of great advice  I do greatly appreciate what everyone has shared - maybe the adminstrators should pin this topic as a good to chunk of great advice from guys who have made the move and can help out a newbie to living in the Phils.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 4:52 PM, lamoe said:

Use Google also - you will receive different here replies and some will be contradictory

http://www.expats-moving-and-relocation-guide.com/usa-expats.html/#sthash.3brpcs48.dpbs

One biggy is get an account that reimburses ATM fees if you don't want to set up local account - Schwab is the one I use set at $1,000 per day max withdrawal  - I use HSBC  = 40K P per withdrawal not 20 - multiples allowed -  pays real close to listed rates - was paying $16 fee on $400 withdrawal through Chase

Note: Schwab is not FDIC so setup it as an "external account" for direct transfers online.

Don't know where you got the idea Schwab is not FDIC insured. Their investor banking and sweep is all insured by FDIC.  However,  stock investments do not fall under FDIC protection.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, usnftcret said:

Don't know where you got the idea Schwab is not FDIC insured. Their investor banking and sweep is all insured by FDIC.  However,  stock investments do not fall under FDIC protection.

You right  - me  wrong

Misinterpreted the no FDIC on my brokerage account info

https://www.schwab.com/?src=NCY&keywordid=21319846058&s_kwcid=AL!5158!10!79233623322066!21319846058&ef_id=Wro7VgAABUsPcdPD:20180914214638:s

Why should I bank with Schwab Bank?

You’ll pay no ATM fees1 or transaction fees2 and have no account minimums while banking anytime, anywhere with Schwab Mobile. The Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account is linked to a Schwab One® brokerage account so you can easily manage both accounts with a single login. You can even link to Apple Pay® to make purchases with your iPhone® 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or iPhone 7.

There are no monthly account service fees, you’ll earn interest on your balance, and your account is FDIC-insured up to $250,000.3 You’ll receive free standard checks and a Visa® Platinum Debit Card once the account has been funded.

Open a Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking account or learn more.

3. Funds deposited at Charles Schwab Bank are insured, in aggregate, up to $250,000 based on account ownership type, by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

Richard K

I maintain a permanent mailing address at my daughters house in VT to receive what little mail I get and to be able to vote. I have both my SS and pension direct deposited here in PI (PNB) and have had no troubles with that.
Zambales is a good choice IMO. I have visited many places all up and down the coast and there are some really nice areas. Between the Subic/Olongapo area and Angeles City there many small towns and rural areas that are a pretty easy commute to either for shopping, dining and medical. I do most of mine in AC and can find pretty much anything I need there and it has really good medical also.
NLEX is an easy ride from Subic to AC and is pretty easily accessible from anywhere on the eastern side of the Pinatubo range of mountains. Once on the coast?..it is either north or south around them.. there are no accessible roads that cross them. 

• Thanks 1
Kabisay-an gid

USAA - A 1% foreign transaction fee applies to debit card or ATM transactions with a merchant or ATM in a foreign country, whether the transaction is originally made in US dollars or converted from foreign currency.

https://mobile.usaa.com/inet/wc/banking_secure_checking_service_fees_terms

• Thanks 1
Kabisay-an gid

"As a 30 plus year member of USAA, one of the best features of keeping my accounts with them has been their ability to allow me to access cash overseas without exorbitant ATM fees.  However, I see now that USAA is suspending reimbursement of foreign ATM fees and additionally adding a 1% transaction fee to boot."

https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Banking/International-ATM-Fees/td-p/85576

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
A_Simple_Man
On 9/4/2018 at 7:03 AM, Lordblacknail said:

The best advice I can give you is don't move to the Philippines. It is a shit hole, and getting worse.

This is advice worth listening to.  It is strongly worded, but the getting worse part has merit.  11 years ago the Philippines was inviting and growing.  Over that time the malls and condos were the places growing and the rest of the infrastructure was ignored, and its getting worse.  Inflation is causing concern, and getting worse.

I am still here with no plans to leave, yet.  More and more foreigners flock to the Philippines daily and they are usually quite happy for the first couple of years.  However, there are so many who have left and you will not hear their stories as they have brushed the dirt from their feet and do not look back nor come back here to tell their tales.  And who would listen?

So following on Lorblacknail's advice I would add:  Come to the Philippines with the goal of staying here for two or three years and then moving on.  If you are still loving it after 3 years then put down some roots.  In the meantime, travel to other places and compare.  You will find out that many who thought the Philippines was paradise have since moved to Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand, or Malaysia, (to name a few).  But definitely give the Philippines a try and do enjoy the first few years of living here full time.

For me?  I'd try somewhere else without a look back if I was not too lazy and broke to go check out a few of those places others have moved to,

• Thanks 1
Kabisay-an gid
On 9/4/2018 at 8:15 AM, Lordblacknail said:

USAA is a good bank if you were in the military ever. They also refund atm fees. 

USAA no longer refunds foreign atm fees, and they now charge a 1% fee on foreign atm and debit transactions. 

• Thanks 1
the.lone.gunman

I have been in and out of the PI for about 9 years now. My advice: have an exit strategy and an emergency cash fund. The only real advantage that the PI has over other countries is that English is widely spoken and the girls are friendly. Hard to have a good time if u can’t communicate. 

Edited by the.lone.gunman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the issue of money and advice... There is much to see and do in the Philipines, so I prefer having a modest home base and rather spend my money on getting out and about...

No need for a big house if the surroundings are nice. The move could be an opportunity to downsize, perhaps try to live a bit in a cheap and cheerful manner? Within reason, of course.

I guess it goes without saying that it's unwise to live from cheque to cheque, having no money at the end of each month, as seems to be somewhat common among expats here.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1