Why is it that no ones using Clay Bricks to make houses?

oztony

A wire mesh is usually laid every 3rd course or so to strengthen up a brick wall ...

Image result for brickies mesh

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
bounty98

Clay brick is not structural, its used as a facade. The cement brick isn't used structurally either, the weight in the structure is carried by posts and beams. You could use clay brick, but it would be just taking the place of the smooth coat on the cement block, brick is decorative 

Woolf
16 minutes ago, bounty98 said:

Clay brick is not structural, its used as a facade. The cement brick isn't used structurally either, the weight in the structure is carried by posts and beams. You could use clay brick, but it would be just taking the place of the smooth coat on the cement block, brick is decorative 

What about this house, no concrete nor steel posts and beams used there 

image.thumb.png.e3b85317129da723c9fec2fb33084a21.png

Paddy

This is the house (on the right) I was born in. It’s just outside Southampton, UK. 
The walls are double brick with a cavity between. There is no concrete and no posts. Wood is used for floor joists and roof rafters. On “our” house, the brick was painted and might now have been stuccoed. It was probably built somewhere around 1920-1930 ish. If it has any steel in it, it will only be the lintels and possibly brick ties (tying the two wall layers together).

964FDF1A-1605-44EE-86CB-B5C0DB177CB2.jpeg

bounty98

I don't think they would meet modern engineering standards, and it would have to be at least double.  If something was thick enough, you would find foundation walls made out of brick, but they were not really very satisfactory. I searched it a bit, found this about single wall structural brick which intrigued me, and its from Seattle which is where i am from actually. I guess they are marketing a product now that is a hollow red brick that incorporates rebar and concrete within the brick. So basically the way houses are built in the PI with hollow concrete 

https://www.masoncontractors.org/2003/09/24/building-with-structural-brick/#newsletter