Advice and suggestions needed for cement "bridge"

1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Agree, and I'd go with a 4,000 psi mix ratio in the concrete if it was me:

1380392048_4000psi.jpg.95f86bf2ea9c5670e1fdbfb8eb005266.jpg

This sounds useful.  I’ll see if I can work this out to something like what Bama referred to above. That is, so many parts cement to parts gravel and sand. The usual method in my experience is to use empty cement sacks as the unit of measure. At first glance, the mix for the recommended 4000 psi seems to be one, one, one. 

Where does this psi figure come from?  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawny

• SkyMan

• Bama

• Enuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't you get something similar to a metal grate they use for covering drainage canals with.

Use a cement drainage pipe., then cover it with cement. It's what we did, supported a cement truck.

If it was me I`d weld 16mm rebar into the exact size grid and tie flat GI sheet underneath that grid..Put the grid in place and concrete over.

Posted Images

I’ve found a useful guide, but unsure of how it is to be read.  That is, for the 4000psi cement the chart shows a mix ratio of 1:1.5:3  But that doesn’t clarify if the cement is a 40kg or 50kg sack....mine are 40kg 

1534858A-C3B6-4430-AE0F-46AFD96C0C07.png

In 1967 a lot of us saw Evel Knievel attempt to jump the fountains at Caesars Palace for a total distance of 43 meters. The span of your driveway to be bridged is a minuscule 50cm.

Surely with the right car, good ramp system,etc this shouldn't be a problem.Deck you out in a leather suit with the PI flag motif and you will be well on your way to your second career !!

I would suggest getting a work visa first though.

evel-knievel-ceasers-place.jpg.21b4497ec0801338f59099ff62e1b6bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Bama said:

In 1967 a lot of us saw Evel Knievel attempt to jump the fountains at Caesars Palace for a total distance of 43 meters. The span of your driveway to be bridged is a minuscule 50cm.

Surely with the right car, good ramp system,etc this shouldn't be a problem.Deck you out in a leather suit with the PI flag motif and you will be well on your way to your second career !!

I would suggest getting a work visa first though.

evel-knievel-ceasers-place.jpg.21b4497ec0801338f59099ff62e1b6bc.jpg

If you could watch me park in the garage, you’d soon see that a crash helmet is not something I would need.

The garage in question is on the property of a relative.  When the road widening was started, we weren’t even sure the property owner would allow the garage to remain.  Finally, we were allowed to continue use of the garage, but the overall length dramatically changed, as what had been a lengthy and roomy garage was now shortened to just long enough for our Innova.

In fact, to avoid driving off the end (there is no end wall) I have placed some wood barriers for the wheels to contact with a short safety distance.  In effect, if I come in too fast or overshoot the barriers, I crash out the open end.

Not Evil  Knievel during, for sure.

OK na----a bad idea.

Back to to the filling the tires with helium solution that you mentioned earlier.

Seriously though it sounds like whatever to do to make this bridge thingy might be temporary or possibly change in the future.How about using 2" steel plate for the time being until you see what the road crews finished product might be.Don't know where to get it----but I have seen it used for this type of thing in the PI.

I note that an Innova weighs 2300kg.

Edited by Bama

I have an expression I am fond of......there is no such thing as a dead fly......only live flies and squished flies.

As to the situation here, there’s no such thing as only good news.  There’s good news, but always bad news close behind.  Like the fly you think is dead, pops back to life, unless squished  

A small crew is working today and has offered (for ₽1000) to build the bridge. We supply the materials, he does the work.  His technique is even better than the "floating bridge" I had in mind.  He will use the 12mm we have to make an upside down U shape and basically construct a cover to the canal, with the 12mm legs placed into the cement they pour as part of the canal construction.  Pretty solid  

Thats the good news.

Here's where the bad news starts.  We went to speak with the chief engineer at their temporary HQ. He had a "fever" so the deputy he has spoke with us and explained they didn’t get to our location yet, because they ran out of materials.  I’m referring to cement and rebar.  They expect to have the materials in a week or so.

So,the concept of "out of stock" applies even in heavy industry. 

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

We went to speak with the chief engineer

You may be wise to take the bull by the horns and offer to complete the driveway section in front of your house with your own crew and materials.  It will be less work for the road contractors and they will see $$ signs.  For you, it gets the job done so you can get your car in and out.  Or just run two coco lumber planks over the ditch like a filipino would do.

I’ve tried to get an image loaded, but keep getting a notice that only jpg etc are allowed.  It is a jpg. 

The way the bridge will be constructed is amazingly simple.  In the pit that has been dug, the contractor places a u-shaped frame made of rebar.  These frames are laid end to end and become the base after a layer of cement is poured to secure them.  Now, with this frame cemented in place, the contractor comes along with plywood framing placed inside this "cage".  Then, a cement truck comes along and fills the gaps on each side.  Makes for a pretty solid canal.

I have arranged for the contractor to place 3meter lengths of rebar to be set in place before the cement truck comes.  Then, before the cement is poured, the contractor bends my rebar to make an upside down u-shaped frame, in effect, a box.

the cement comes along, is poured, and now I have a rebar frame onto which a cement bridge is poured.  Wait a decent cure time and my bridge is complete.  

Alec Guinness would have been proud!

• Like 1
oztony
17 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I’ve tried to get an image loaded, but keep getting a notice that only jpg etc are allowed.  It is a jpg. 

I loaded that picture for you the other day by just taking a screen shot of it after I opened it and then attached to the post because it did not want to be attached in any format..

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz
On 9/1/2018 at 11:54 AM, SkyMan said:

Or you could remove the car via coco planks.

that would be my permanent solution.  a couple planks for in and out of the parking space and that's that.  i keep things simple :biggrin_01:

• Like 2
SkyMan
50 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Sometimes it works to copy the pic and then paste it into your message.

I’ve tried many ways to get images to post.  The last one was an image I converted to a pdf and was able to get it as an attachment or link.  This was changed to a screen grab and inserted.

Today, just for grins and giggles I’m going to try the option of taking a photo which is one of the options.  

The problem is that as I get close to the highway, I lose my signal and doubt I’ll remain logged into the site.

Oh well, I’m just trying to help other members with the solution to this issue.  Coco wood is not an option