Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Have you checked your tail lights?

SkyMan

Just a thought.  I see burned out lights all the time and often it's on a fairly new looking car/SUV/truck.  Maybe these vehicles are actually much older then they appear?  I can see someone with a new vehicle forgetting to check something like that assuming it should be quite some time before a bulb would burn out but perhaps the manufacturers are using chinese quality (oxymoron) lights.

• Like 1

cookie47

I think some of the problem may well be economics. The cost of a globe may well be between eating and a operating lamp.

However.....

Quality of manufacturing. Not all bulbs are created equal. Bulbs with superior design and build quality can be expected to outlast lower quality items. "The Chinese Syndrome"

How often they are turned on and off. Every time a lightbulb is turned on it heats up and expands. And, of course, when turned off it cools down and contracts. This is called thermal cycling and affects a component’s usable service life.This is somewhat similar to a computer motherboard and (some say "not necessarily me" ) should be left running.

Vehicle electrical system stability. Variations in voltage from a vehicle’s charging system, especially when it goes too high, shortens bulb life.

And lastly...

Myself previously living in the outback of Australia the following is very true.

Roughness in use.

A vehicle that sees regular driving on rough pavement or washboard dirt roads can expect shorter bulb life than a comparable vehicle driven over smooth roads,This is due to the white hot filament bouncing between the two mounting posts. All the above issues have been vastly improved with the advent of LED.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

BossHog
5 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

I think some of the problem may well be economics.

Got a call from a mechanic who was working on one of our rental bikes. He goes "do you want a 50 peso light or a 600 peso one?"

What's the difference me-asks. Well, one works and the other doesn't. Do you want to pass a check or actually use it he says.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Headshot
25 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Got a call from a mechanic who was working on one of our rental bikes. He goes "do you want a 50 peso light or a 600 peso one?"

What's the difference me-asks. Well, one works and the other doesn't. Do you want to pass a check or actually use it he says.

A Filipino would definitely choose the 50p light ... for the same reason that they buy things in sachets at the sari-sari store even though they know that they will need to buy another one tomorrow and that buying in quantity will cost them less in the long run (well, they MAY know that). It is only the initial price that they look at, so the 50p light looks like a bargain to them. The 600p light looks like a horrible waste of money to them ... money that could be spent on Red Horse.

• Haha 2

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

buying in quantity will cost them less in the long run

A very western concept that does not seem in evidence here. Do you often buy your car taillights in quantity?  Locals understand that beer is cheaper by the dozen.  That is because a foreigner will buy a dozen beers in a case and the locals pay nothing.  Locals know that the appearance of "cheaper by the dozen" beer is not practical because their relatives will all help themselves as it looks like they have lots.  I suspect it is the same with everything else.  If the cupboards are bare, no one can "borrow" anything.

Salty Dog

Posts on buying in quantity??

This is how off topic gets perpetuated so easily. Grab a few words out of the center of a sentence and claim it's on topic when you respond to them. Then before you know it, thread posts no longer even pertain to the OP.

OR responding to a staff members post to stay on topic. With yet another post that has nothing to do with the OP...:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Headshot
2 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Posts on buying in quantity??

This is how off topic gets perpetuated so easily. Grab a few words out of the center of a sentence and claim it's on topic when you respond to them. Then before you know it, thread posts no longer even pertain to the OP.

What are you talking about? The thread started out as a bitch session, and it is still a bitch session.

Salty Dog
11 minutes ago, Headshot said:

What are you talking about? The thread started out as a bitch session, and it is still a bitch session.

So I'm, bitching about staying on topic. Kapish...

TOPIC IS: Have you checked your tail lights? in the Vehicles, Driving, or Licensing Information Thread

15 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

OR responding to a staff members post to stay on topic. With yet another post that has nothing to do with the OP...:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

A Filipino would definitely

generalize much?  the tail lites in all our Filipino neighbor's cars work.  

• Haha 1

Woolf

both my brake lights  had gone, so I went to get 2 new, 2 days later no brake lights  ???????

dang  they were 6 volts

• Haha 1

Headshot
8 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

generalize much?  the tail lites in all our Filipino neighbor's cars work.  

Now, stay on topic. My tail lights are working just fine too. Does that mean that everybody's tail lights are working?

jtmwatchbiz
16 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Now, stay on topic. My tail lights are working just fine too. Does that mean that everybody's tail lights are working?

what it means is be nice as there are Filipino members to this forum so let's not negatively generalize. 

my on topic keywords:  most Filipino's tail lites work

• Haha 1

Headshot
2 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

what it means is be nice as there are Filipino members to this forum so let's not negatively generalize. 

my on topic keywords:  most Filipino's tail lites work

You know me. I'm always nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jtmwatchbiz
3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You know me. I'm always nice.

that is in fact true.  i'm just a bit edgy today as i think i hear wierd al yankovich playing next door  ?

• Haha 1

Soupeod
4 hours ago, BossHog said:

Well out here in da Province they don't bother with taillights, drivers license or plates.  So would agree with BossH post.

One question though, if the taillight is in the forest...how do you know if it turns on or off or works at all.

• Haha 2