cvgtpc1

I disagree with every word....my 10 years of service meant something to me.

Edited by cvgtpc1
  • Like 2
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Soupeod

• fred42

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is good to know i am going to wear my police uniform so i can body search girls but i will not have material gain

Dog Walker...  

4 hours ago, fred42 said:

OK.. So if a homeless or any other person goes into an army surplus store and wears the stuff they sell cheap in there, is that frowned upon?
I can understand vets and active servicemen getting pissed off with some people pretending to be real soldiers and pointing out where they earned their patches etc, but the line has to be drawn somewhere..Right? 
I saw a news story there where a young vet that served valiantly in places like  Fallujah was beaten up and badly injured by a few of these "stolen valor" Police that didnt believe his story....Not on!!

Notice I keep saying identifiers - that means any indication at all you served - whatever branch.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...:)

• Like 1
bounder

I am proud of my time in the Navy.  I don't embellish or brag about it, but glad and grateful that I was able to serve.  I think that is how most veterans feel about their time in the military.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, fred42 said:

If someone is doing something illegal...Call the Police..Whats wrong with that?
These days everyone wants to be a Policeman and have a Youtube channel to make them selves famous whilst making money from adsense!!

Because it's NOT illegal to falsely wear any uniform or decoration - including police - as long as you gain no monatary value from it or in the case of a police uniform, act in a manner to convince people you actually are one.

While not illegal, it does greatly offend the sensibilities of many - vet or not.

Same as sh!tting on the flag - not illegal - but evokes same type of strong feelings in some again not all.

I believe that those who did serve but do not feel the same, probably do understand those who do. That is not a slam - your right to feel pro or con.

Those who didn't serve sometimes have a harder time understanding those who do feel strongly negative about it ,again many do understated, some just don't get it.

The above 2 comments were not about what your opinion is either way.

By the way - it's also Stolen Valor for those who did serve to falsely claim achievements (decorations, rank, branch of service, etc.) they didn't earn.

Example: Marine Corps Force Recon Gunnery Sargent  w/ many decorations when you were a radar tech sargent.  Navy Seal and Green Beret seem to be the most popular  stolen.

Another identifier tip - Vietnam era only again - not sure about today - ask a Green Beret if they were on the  C team - the one that did all the fighting? If they don't understand the question = fake

To understand the question

https://www.quora.com/What-function-did-the-green-berets-play-in-Vietnam

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/20thcentury/articles/greenberets.aspx

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

There is a difference when someone crosses the line. Wear the uniform without serving or not as you state you are a bad impressionist. I am appalled but see no crime. It is when you gain something by it you are a thief. Gaining a job, salary, perks of service or respect as an employee. They should be jailed because they are  thieves.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

There is a difference when someone crosses the line. Wear the uniform without serving or not as you state you are a bad impressionist. I am appalled but see no crime. It is when you gain something by it you are a thief. Gaining a job, salary, perks of service or respect as an employee. They should be jailed because they are  thieves.

That is the law as it is now.

Not sure about respect as an employee,  unless employer uses that for promotions / pay, then actionable.

Burning the flag was the initial expansion of 1 St Amendment rights to include reprehensible  (to some) acts,  Stolen Valor is the further opening of Pandor's Box

Seems to not extend to claiming to be black, American Indian  - which has been recently  used for material gain

• Haha 1
Headshot

This topic comes up in the forum once every two or three years when somebody drags up the same old tired videos about idiots who thought they were fooling somebody with their badly done uniforms. If somebody does this, laugh at them and tell them they are full of it. They will be embarrassed, and maybe they will not do it again. If somebody is using their lie for financial gain, then report them. The authorities will take care of them. That is just common sense (something that is common to very few). Beyond that, I find it tiresome to repeatedly read the same old stories over and over again.

Those of us who served know the experiences that we all shared, but then even there, many of us had experiences not shared by all. For instance, only a small percentage of those who  served have actually been in combat (and those combat experiences can vary wildly). Most of the time, those who fake service know nothing about the military experience beyond what they may have read. They soon "out" themselves, so it isn't usually necessary for anybody else to "out" them (unless maybe you get a thrill out of humiliating others). The exception to that is if they break the law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe  part of the problem for those who do feel strongly is twofold.

The first is being told by those who don't feel the same "why make a big deal of it - it means nothing" when it is obvious  to them it does. Same as telling a religious person "you're an idiot for believing in Christ, etc.) If they want to feel strongly about it - that's up to them - don't and that's also up to them.  I am not insinuating you are part of that group.

Same as desecration of the flag to me, on that I do have very strong feelings.

The other is that these fakes are believed by the public in general who don't know the difference. Therefore they are taking credit for what you, they, their friends, relatives did, were willing to and what too many did sacrifice.

Claiming an unearned  PHD - every time it's done it diminishes the accomplishments of those who did earn it.

14 hours ago, fred42 said:

I dont believe a word of what I see or hear on CNN...It`s all FAKE NEWS.
If someone is doing something illegal...Call the Police..Whats wrong with that?
These days everyone wants to be a Policeman and have a Youtube channel to make them selves famous whilst making money from adsense!!

Believe it or not the US has become a Police State..Of course CNN is a propaganda station, but unfortunately some of the gullible public are sucked in and believe FAKE NEWS.

RogerDat

Mandaue has a young man, (I suspect  retarded) that dresses in Cami, boots, gear belt, and helmet. I saw him come out of a junk store with a Cami shirt he had found. He was beaming! Reminds me of when I was  kid and played Army. Our squadron in Florida had a young Airman that wore  Colonel Eagles on his blues when he went on leave, when he returned to our barracks with the brass still on, he caught hell for it. 

Soupeod
16 hours ago, Headshot said:

I really couldn't care less if somebody wants to make a fool out themselves by wearing military badges or decorations (or bragging about something they didn't really do) to try to fake service. Most of those guys are so stupid they just get laughed at.

As far as I'm concerned, stolen valor only becomes a problem when somebody tries to make money from their fakery. Until then, it is just somebody humiliating themselves by trying to be somebody they are not. If they try to get financial benefit from faked service, then there are already sufficient laws to punish them that I don't need to worry about it.

Hell, I used to go to mountain man rendezvous and dressed up like a mountain man (even though I was never a mountain man). I even won the dutch oven cooking contest at the Fort Bridger rendezvous in Wyoming. Lots of people escape into fantasy for amusement purposes. Slipping back in time at rendezvous was a lot of fun. Then again, most people who participated in rendezvous KNEW that it was fantasy. Do you guys think that is wrong too?

Granted, some of those who fake military service forget where they left reality, but for most they stop short of committing a crime. As long as they do, I ignore them.

Off topic, I am a member of the High Mountain Freetrappers! /salutes

• Like 1
Soupeod

I have donated many military uniforms I had to strip of rank and insignia to homeless folks. Not a problem for them to wear those items in my mind.  

Now those to dress up on purpose to defraud folks, that is a different story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, soupeod said:

I have donated many military uniforms I had to strip of rank and insignia to homeless folks. Not a problem for them to wear those items in my mind.  

Now those to dress up on purpose to defraud folks, that is a different story.

Definitely - strip any identifiers and they are just pieces of clothing.

Headshot
3 hours ago, soupeod said:

Off topic, I am a member of the High Mountain Freetrappers! /salutes

It is a small world, isn't it?

• Like 1