Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

It stopped working today!

JohnSurrey

There was a little bang at the plug and then nothing - changed the fuse in the plug and nothing again - think it is likely to be the power box which I replaced about 7 years ago - The machine originally came with Windows Vista installed on it - so I'm guessing it is 10 or 11 years old. I've been using Windows 7 on it for as long as I can remember.

My question is - if I take out the bootable HDD (SATA - which I'm reasonably confident will still be working) can I just put it in a new box, push start and expect it to all be ok ?

Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks

• Like 1

bkb1

If it's the same model of computer that the hd came out of chances are it will work. If its not the same type it might be ok if you do a windows repair from a bootable cd. If all that fails you can still put that hd in a external enclosure and get all the info off it through a usb port...

• Like 1

Goetz1965

I dont think it was the fuse - often this small BANG comes from a blown capacitor - fuses usually melt and dont bang.

If its a capacitor you can bring the powerbox to a repair shop and they fix it for some pesos.

• Like 2

Woolf

@JohnSurrey

A new standard ATX power supply does not cost that much

pick one here https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=atx+power+supply&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4l.home.search.go.239e6ef0llRJEn

If you want to buy a new computer anyway, just have the old disk installed as second drive and you will have access to all your data

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

rizla

If the HD is old it is unlikely the connections will be the same,newer machines use very different connections for drives, easier to get the PSU repaired and back up your old drive to a new machine, also the OS will be different (win 10) and different drivers in a new machine, you cannot move a drive from an old computer to a new computer and expect it to work as before.

• Like 1

Woolf
6 minutes ago, rizla said:

If the HD is old it is unlikely the connections will be the same,newer machines use very different connections for drives,

The OP already said that it is a SATA drive, nothing newer than SATA interface for disk drives

rizla
48 minutes ago, Woolf said:

The OP already said that it is a SATA drive, nothing newer than SATA interface for disk drives

which version of SATA? there are 3 and not upwards compatible a 9 year old SATA I will not work correctly with a 2017 SAta III

The drive may work but is will run slow and would be unlikely to boot up due to incompatible drivers.

Edited by rizla

GBT62

Like someone said - there's external USB-connected SATA enclosure cheap enough (if you want to permanently use old drive as a data drive....not to boot off).  Otherwise, there's also handy external HDD docks like these - to do the transfer, provided the drive is not at fault. I have one I could loan you is you were in Cebu , except I am back in AU for a while.

image.png.04b4452b4ecbbd5cc72a8c48ca598486.png

Having said that - if you throw a new Power Supply in the PC - you may not need to do any disk-related work....

Well, there are newer drive interfaces than SATA - like the FC drives (native and FC-SATA) in enterprise systems, but not really for general home use (but I do run a few on older traded in models :) ).  SATA was our second tier option in those. 

Edited by GBT62

HeyMike

If the bios is set to boot to the external drive first, won't the external drive boot up with the operating system on that external drive?

GBT62
1 minute ago, HeyMike said:

If the bios is set to boot to the external drive first, won't the external drive boot up with the operating system on that external drive?

TBH - it may depend on the age of the PC and it's BIO/UEFI - as well as OS version. I'd use external only as a stop-gap for recovery really. It'll most likely be slower if it is possible to boot at all.

HeyMike
1 minute ago, GBT62 said:

TBH - it may depend on the age of the PC and it's BIO/UEFI - as well as OS version. I'd use external only as a stop-gap for recovery really. It'll most likely be slower if it is possible to boot at all.

I agree. Even if it did work, I think it would be too slow.

JohnSurrey

Hmmm... I think what I did last time was install the OS again on the new HDD and then connect the old drive to the MOBO... and copy all my stuff over that way... 

I think the problem is the boot up process and windows - as bkb1 said might be able to do it if same model etc... but it never seems to work out that way for me...