fred42

We just extended our building upwards here in Bohol and had the Fire inspection for occupancy permit..They pretty much passed the building but casually said we just need 2 fire hose cabinets hooked up to a stand pipe for the fire dept. water truck.. They gave us a number for a local "authorized" company to install it..
Just got the quote.. 152,000!!! lol..
After a quick look online,I can get a complete fire hose cabinets for 8K a set..With 1.5" G.I pipe and brass fittings we could install it our self for about 35k... Problem is though,will they let us? 
Probably not..

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Another 5K to the Fireman Inspectors fund should seal the deal

• Haha 1
to_dave007
17 minutes ago, fred42 said:

We just extended our building upwards here in Bohol and had the Fire inspection for occupancy permit..They pretty much passed the building but casually said we just need 2 fire hose cabinets hooked up to a stand pipe for the fire dept. water truck.. They gave us a number for a local "authorized" company to install it..
Just got the quote.. 152,000!!! lol..
After a quick look online,I can get a complete fire hose cabinets for 8K a set..With 1.5" G.I pipe and brass fittings we could install it our self for about 35k... Problem is though,will they let us? 
Probably not..

I also had problems getting occupancy permit for the house.  Fire department wanted us to have fire extinguisher..  from "authorized" vendor..  but that was only 2500 peso not 152,000.  Ours is single story Class II structure (concrete).  But even after I bought the fire extinguisher they delayed and delayed and delayed..  There was one man at LGU in particular who just resisted ALL efforts to get the permit.  I'm positive he was waiting for me to offer money for him to expedite the permit.   Finally I waited until his staff said (yet again) that he wasn't around, and I paid visit to mayors assistant.. without any anger..  very politely..  to say " am leaving soon to go back to Canada and trying to get occupancy permit done so my wife doesn't have to deal with it while I am away.  But Dexter (the missing man) isn't around..  and it's taken 3 months.. so who is the best person to speak to get it done".  Like magic..  I had the permit in a week.

I wonder why my building needed only a fire extinguisher and yours needs 2 fire hose cabinets.  Is there a real regulatory requirement for this?  Where does it come from?  anyone here know?

Lastly..  what's your water source..  do you have good pressure?  would be a complete waste of time out here in Tuburan for ANYONE in town to put in a firehose on the water supply.  Some times in the day the pressure drops to near zero..  At my place, with my own water supply and a gravity tank, the hose might shoot 5 feet..  Kind of pointless.  

• Like 2
Enuff
I also had problems getting occupancy permit for the house.  Fire department wanted us to have fire extinguisher..  from "authorized" vendor..  but that was only 2500 peso not 152,000.  Ours is single story Class II structure (concrete).  But even after I bought the fire extinguisher they delayed and delayed and delayed..  There was one man at LGU in particular who just resisted ALL efforts to get the permit.  I'm positive he was waiting for me to offer money for him to expedite the permit.   Finally I waited until his staff said (yet again) that he wasn't around, and I paid visit to mayors assistant.. without any anger..  very politely..  to say " am leaving soon to go back to Canada and trying to get occupancy permit done so my wife doesn't have to deal with it while I am away.  But Dexter (the missing man) isn't around..  and it's taken 3 months.. so who is the best person to speak to get it done".  Like magic..  I had the permit in a week.
I wonder why my building needed only a fire extinguisher and yours needs 2 fire hose cabinets.  Is there a real regulatory requirement for this?  Where does it come from?  anyone here know?
Lastly..  what's your water source..  do you have good pressure?  would be a complete waste of time out here in Tuburan for ANYONE in town to put in a firehose on the water supply.  Some times in the day the pressure drops to near zero..  At my place, with my own water supply and a gravity tank, the hose might shoot 5 feet..  Kind of pointless.  
I went to our fire Dept to get them to sign off. Inspector/Marshall/in-charge said it would be a few days for him to come inspect.

I asked why? If there is a fire will you come. He asked where it was and I explained I'm 250m from anyplace you can park a fire truck and there ain't no water there, so unless you got a pumper truck and 250m of hose it's pointless. That's why I have 6 commercial fire extinguishers.

Everyone in his office heard the conversation so he had no where to go. Asked me to pay some p85 inspection fee and signed off right there.

If there is a fire I expect no one but me and maybe 1 halfwit family member to respond. Although I'm not sure how quickly concrete burns but the only wood is 5 doors. I think we will be ok with the extinguishers.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Goetz1965
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

I live in a small subdivision in cebu-city - 10 townhouses - 6 are 3 stories 4 are 2 stories high.
None of them have any fire hose cabinets nor even fire extinguishers !

The company that build the subdivision is MD Dreambuilders - and the D stands for the Durano family ... one of the richest here in Cebu.
That for sure explains why ....

Headshot

Mandaue City required that we install a large accessible cistern under our yard to catch all of the rainwater from the roof. They said all new construction requires the same. The water goes from the downspouts to the cistern, and then the overflow goes from the cistern to the storm drain. Mandaue City has pumper trucks, but no fire hydrants in most neighborhoods. Having an accessible cistern gives them a place to from which to pump water. I would think that most fire departments here have the same situation.

Edited by Headshot
SkyMan
15 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Mandaue City required that we install a large accessible cistern under our yard to catch all of the rainwater from the roof.

How large? Do you recall?

• Like 1
to_dave007
18 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Mandaue City required that we install a large accessible cistern under our yard to catch all of the rainwater from the roof. They said all new construction requires the same. The water goes from the downspouts to the cistern, and then the overflow goes from the cistern to the storm drain. Mandaue City has pumper trucks, but no fire hydrants in most neighborhoods. Having an accessible cistern gives them a place to from which to pump water. I would think that most fire departments here have the same situation.

Hmm..  Seems like a sensible requirement from several points of view.  Would also reduce flooding, and I would assume most people would draw water from that cistern for some uses (watering plants) around the house so should reduce municipal water requirement.  How big a tank did you need to install?.

Making it waterproof might be a bigger issue.  And keeping vermin and mosquitos out of it.  How often do you clean it out?

Edited by to_dave007
Davaoeno

Things in Davao were pretty lax re fire safety with SOP being a regular occurrence  for those who either didnt want to comply or couldnt comply .

One of those requirements was sprinklers for larger buildings. It turns out that it took the death of 38 people at the NCCC Mall fire recently for the government to find out that the sprinklers [ while present] were not hooked up and that the inspection reports had been fabricated. I believe there are something like 21? people facing criminal charges as a result of all the code infractions [ and the bogus inspections ]

Now the fire department has gotten much stricter.  And SOP is no longer the way to do things [ for most anyway ].  They just made me install not only sprinklers but also a fire alarm system in my boarding house.  Of course the Fire Department guided me to their preferred contractor - who gave me a bid of 1.35 M .   I managed to get an engineer [ with the right qualifications ] to do it for 950K. But they are still holding the process up waiting for a " contribution"  until I do some totally unnecessary changes lol 

* SOP means Standard Operating Procedure . It is the local term for a bribe 

Headshot
42 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

How large? Do you recall?

The inside of the cistern is 4'x 4'x 7'. I'm not sure how many liters that is. We don't use the water from the cistern (since it is for fire protection), so we don't worry about cleaning the cistern or filtering the water. We have a metal roof, so the biggest pollutant would be fallout from the diesel soot in the air that lands on the roof (that is what settles on our car every night). That soot is buoyant, so it is likely that it would be pulled out through the overflow pipe into the storm drain. Whatever dust might be on the roof (that isn't soot) will likely settle out to the bottom of the cistern. The cistern is only accessible by lifting a concrete access cover, so there isn't much chance of mosquitoes breeding there (and even if they did they couldn't get out). Besides, I live next to the Lion-Tiger coil factory. There are seldom any mosquitoes in our neighborhood.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
to_dave007
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The inside of the cistern is 4'x 4'x 7'. I'm not sure how many liters that is.

112 cubic feet, 3171 liters, 838 US gallons

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The inside of the cistern is 4'x 4'x 7'. I'm not sure how many liters that is.

4'x 4'x 7' = 112 cubic feet  =  3171.48682 liter

to_dave007  beat me 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
to_dave007
1 minute ago, Woolf said:

4'x 4'x 7' = 112 q feet  =  3171.48682 liter

damn it ..  you is slow.

• Haha 1
smokey
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

My wife got all our permits she sat in the engineers office staring at him for over 1 hour finally he said to her.    Mam i am so busy maybe you like to. Come back another day.      She   Said i have no job  come here every day till you have time to sign.    He signed saved 35.000 peso

Edited by smokey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3