Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

Staying on Topic - Yes or No

Salty Dog

One of the major complaints from members is being told to stay on topic or having a post hidden for going off topic...

What are your feelings on letting participating members in a thread decide what is and isn't on topic via the use of the report function? We don't need members trying to moderate in the open on a thread, so the report function would be the desired method. Also, would a post being reported for being off topic, automatically be deemed off topic just by the fact that someone else felt it was?

Some have even suggested that they should be allowed to post anything they want.  Of course attacking, inappropriate, offensive or threatening posts wouldn't be tolerated.

:idontknow:

• Like 1

softail

Staying on topic in my opinion is very important. Without neutral moderators sorting this out and keeping the thread on topic there is total chaos.  As far as having other participants in the thread able to hide posts, this could be used as a weapon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Salty Dog
5 minutes ago, softail said:

Staying on topic in my opinion is very important. Without neutral moderators sorting this out and keeping the thread on topic there is total chaos.  As far as having other participants in the thread able to hide posts, this could be used as a weapon.

I find myself agreeing with you. Will wonders never cease...:biggrin_01:

Other participants still wouldn't be able to hide a post. They would just be reporting what they thought was off topic. The staff would still be the ones doing the actual moderating/hiding of posts.

Of course some feel the staff shouldn't be the ones to decide either..

One of the common decisions for staff to make, is when someone makes a humorous post in response to a previous post. Like my first sentence for example. In this case, most of my post was on topic and I don't think any staff member would have found the post off topic simply for making a humorous statement. Even when the entire post is meant to be humorous, it most often is still on topic. Of course when the next 5 posts are also humorous just for the sake of one upping the previous post, well you can see where that might lead...

• Like 2

Headshot

It takes no more work on the mod's part to split posts off into their own topic than to hide them when posts stray off-course and start talking about another topic. I would suggest that mods start splitting threads rather than hiding posts in these cases. Posts that need hiding are those that threaten or attempt to intimidate or demean other members. Those posts that inject bits of humor into topics should just be ignored by mods. They don't hurt anything (unless they cause the thread to veer off-topic, and then they should be split off like any other posts that go radically off-topic). Humorous posts can lighten the mood in topics that have become too serious and argumentative.

Of course, maybe you should ask whoever owns LinC Forums this week to tell you what they want to see in the forums. I was under the impression that the new owner (after Paul) wanted to see less moderation and more freedom (within civil limits) in individual discussions. But then, we have no idea who the owner is or if the forums have been sold again or how many times.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

royman
11 minutes ago, Headshot said:

It takes no more work on the mod's part to split posts off into their own topic than to hide them when posts stray off-course and start talking about another topic. I would suggest that mods start splitting threads rather than hiding posts in these cases. Posts that need hiding are those that threaten or attempt to intimidate or demean other members. Those posts that inject bits of humor into topics should just be ignored by mods. They don't hurt anything (unless they cause the thread to veer off-topic, and then they should be split off like any other posts that go radically off-topic). Humorous posts can lighten the mood in topics that have become too serious and argumentative.

Of course, maybe you should ask whoever owns the forum this week to tell you what they want to see in the forums. I was under the impression that the new owner (after Paul) wanted to see less moderation and more freedom (within civil limits) in individual discussions. But then, we have no idea who the owner is or if the forums have been sold again or how many times.

Yes...good points.

Also, there seems a hint of favoritsm....some members can ridicule posts and members and get away with it whereas some members have posts deleted

• Like 2

Salty Dog
42 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Of course, maybe you should ask whoever owns LinC Forums this week to tell you what they want to see in the forums. I was under the impression that the new owner (after Paul) wanted to see less moderation and more freedom (within civil limits) in individual discussions. But then, we have no idea who the owner is or if the forums have been sold again or how many times.

We split posts (plural) into a new topic when appropriate. However splitting a single off topic post into another thread would be a bit of an overkill. 

The current owner for the time being is pretty much hands off and doesn't want to be involved in the day to day operations or interpersonal relationships.

As for less moderation. You might have noticed that many of those currently complaining are newer members who for whatever reason aren't happy with some aspects of how the forum is run or some of the members who were allowed back after being banned in the past on more than one occasion. Many older members have mentioned that they like the way things have loosed up. There hasn't been a warning issued in nearly 2 months and no one has been banned other than some new members, mostly scammers for at least 6 months.

Headshot

Well, I'm not a new member, and I think moderators are hiding too many posts. Seldom does a single post get hidden for going off-topic. Almost always there are follow-on posts that take the topic for a ride into the off-topic zone. Otherwise, there would be no sense in doing anything about a single off-topic post. If it doesn't drag other members off-topic as well, then it hasn't disrupted anything.

• Like 1

royman
6 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

As for less moderation. You might have noticed that many of those currently complaining are newer members who for whatever reason aren't happy with some aspects of how the forum is run or some of the members who were allowed back after being banned in the past on more than one occasion.

Are these complaints in a thread / topic designed for such complaints?

royman
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Well, I'm not a new member, and I think moderators are hiding too many posts. 

And I am aware of a whole topic that was deleted  which even had the original title changed by a moderator before being deleted

• Confused 1

savarity

Could do with less hand slapping for going a bit off topic.

Sometimes feels like walking on egg shells on here. Many times I don't post lest I say something 'wrong.'

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

royman
3 minutes ago, savarity said:

Could do with less hand slapping for going a bit off topic.

Sometimes feels like walking on egg shells on here. Many times I don't post lest I say something 'wrong.'

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Agree....well said. Makes you wonder sometimes if it's about living in Cebu or living in KGB Russia

• Sad 1

Headshot
36 minutes ago, royman said:

And I am aware of a whole topic that was deleted  which even had the original title changed by a moderator before being deleted

Was it deleted or just moved to the CR? If you don't have membership in the CR, then both options appear the same. Topics are generally moved into the CR when the discussion becomes controversial or political ... though it is always possible that one or more may have just been deleted.

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, royman said:

some members have posts deleted

No posts are ever deleted by staff.

• Thanks 1

Salty Dog
44 minutes ago, royman said:

Are these complaints in a thread / topic designed for such complaints?

Not normally. There really isn't a topic just for people to complain in. That's not a hint to start one either...:rolleyes:

Such things should be addressed to a member of the staff via a PM. Not on the open forum.

38 minutes ago, royman said:

Threads and posts are hidden not deleted. The only way an entire thread could be deleted is if it were merged into a new thread...

Titles are changed to correct spelling, make it more comprehensible or in the case of a news article to match the title of the article.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:40 AM, Salty Dog said:

When posting a new thread in the News, Headlines & World Events Forum, please make an appropriate title. Usually you can't go wrong using the title of the article your posting, unless maybe it's too long or has spelling errors. Titles like "wow look at this" or "here it comes", give people no idea what the thread is about. Such titles may be okay for other forums, but not in the News, Headlines & World Events Forum.

4 minutes ago, royman said:

Agree....well said. Makes you wonder sometimes if it's about living in Cebu or living in KGB Russia

Do you feel such statements are constructive...

• Like 3

Headshot
3 minutes ago, royman said:

Has anybody showed up at your residence and smashed your door to get to you? No? Then you can pretty much bet that Putin has nothing to do with LinC Forums.

1 minute ago, RogerDuMond said:

No posts are ever deleted by staff.

Well, to be fair, the average member cannot tell the difference between "deleted" and "hidden", and plenty of posts are hidden.

• Like 1