London warns vs. travel to Mindanao, southern Cebu

Soupeod

Soupeod

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1757953?rss=1

London warns vs. travel to Mindanao, southern Cebu

77464.jpg

MANILA. British nationals are advised against traveling to areas marked in red. Only essential travel is advised for yellow areas. (Map grabbed from gov.uk)

August 14, 2018

THE British government on Tuesday, August 14, issued an updated travel advisory advising its nationals against traveling to Palawan because of a heightened risk from kidnapping.

In a statement posted on its official website gov.uk, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) also advised against all travel to western and central Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago because of terrorist activity and clashes between the military and insurgent groups.

Except for "essential travel," British nationals are also discouraged from traveling to southern Cebu, "up to and including the municipalities of Dalaguete and Badian, due to the threat of terrorism."

London also warned its citizens that "there's a high incidence of street crime and robbery throughout the Philippines. You should take sensible precautions."

The statement warned that prison sentences in the Philippines are severe.

"The judicial system can result in long-term detention until a court hearing takes place. Detention facilities are far below UK standards. Don’t become involved with drugs of any kind. Penalties for importing and using illegal drugs are particularly severe," it added.

The British government noted that martial law is in place in Mindanao until end-2018 while a "state of national emergency emergency on account of lawless violence" remains in place across the rest of the country.

"Expect random checkpoints, security patrols and a more visible routine security presence. You should cooperate with the Philippine authorities and allow extra time to pass through security checks. Make sure you carry a form of identification with you," the advisory stated.

British citizens were warned that terrorist groups have continued to plan attacks "anytime and anywhere in the country," including in Manila.

"There’s been an increase in kidnapping of foreign nationals, including attacks targeting foreigners and tourists since late 2015. Terrorist groups continue to plan kidnap operations against western nationals in the Philippines," the British government stated.

"This threat extends throughout the Philippines, both on land and at sea, but is particularly acute in the southern Philippines (Mindanao, Palawan and central Visayas, including Siquijor and Dumaguete)," it added.

The same advisory noted, however, that most of the visits by British nationals to the Philippines have been "trouble-free." Around 154,000 British nationals visited the Philippines in 2015. (SunStar Philippines)

Edited by soupeod
  • Like 2

I am currently living in my house at Dalaguete. I can advise the British Government from first hand experience that all is safe and well here. No Police checkpoints or Army security patrols. Calm, peaceful and overall a very nice place to live. I wish these Government travel warnings would get their act together. Were do they get their information from? 

Maybe they should also warn their countrymen / woman, about the danger of living in England,  just this morning on the new, it show a guy running down pedestrians and bicycle riders,,  it was said to be terrorist related..

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45180120

• Like 1
musicman666
34 minutes ago, noddle said:

Maybe they should also warn their countrymen / woman, about the danger of living in England,  just this morning on the new, it show a guy running down pedestrians and bicycle riders,,  it was said to be terrorist related..

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45180120

I assume the uk do it because when their citizens get into trouble in the phillipines it’s quite often a total royal pain in the ass  for them to deal with ....when Filipinos get into trouble in the uk it’s no great drama at all....maybe their embassy won’t even hear about it.

• Like 2
BossHog

There are sometimes travel insurance issues associated with warnings like these.

The fine print in some travel insurance policies says they'll disallow a claim if an incident occurs in an area that has a travel advisory/warning issued by the country where your policy originated. Something to be aware of and ask about when getting your travel insurance.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
TequilaSunset

GF's family is in Alegria, so I guess I am fuked, nice knowing all of you! :tease:

jtmwatchbiz
4 hours ago, hydro said:

Were do they get their information from? 

i understand your point as you yourself live in that area but i'm sure the UK intelligence services get inside information just as the USA foreign services do.  there is no doubt that Philippine intelligence is in contact with foreign intelligence services resulting in these updated warnings.   i highly doubt the Philippine intelligence officers would knock on your gate to inform you in person on what sensitive info they have gathered that might be of interest.  terrorists don't usually have name tags or wear a specific uniform so it's understandable that you might not have spotted them.   

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
battleborn

I'm traveling to that Red Zone next week. Will let you know what I experience.

TequilaSunset
I'm traveling to that Red Zone next week. Will let you know what I experience.
I'm broke...just saying

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
TequilaSunset

Just spoke with GF, a friend of her niece (Bamboo Telegraph) just had a house near hers raided, a couple arrested as Abusayaf. Now she is hearing more talk about Alegria being a target are.  Rut Roh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
profits101

I guess there was something to this story... well, this guy is age 70 (actually, I've also seen 68 and 69 ha), but he had a pretty decent stock of weapons... https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1758277/Cebu/Local-News/Suspected-Abu-Sayyaf-member-nabbed-in-Carcar-Cebu

DktJqipUUAAVKyG.jpg

DkrpAszUcAAxW1G.jpg

Edited by profits101
Soupeod
On 8/15/2018 at 8:27 AM, hydro said:

I am currently living in my house at Dalaguete. I can advise the British Government from first hand experience that all is safe and well here. No Police checkpoints or Army security patrols. Calm, peaceful and overall a very nice place to live. I wish these Government travel warnings would get their act together. Were do they get their information from? 

Yea, OK LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
TequilaSunset

Found out the arrest my GF spoke of was in Cebu City.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz
12 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

Found out the arrest my GF spoke of was in Cebu City.

it still was basically reliable info. 

• Like 1