Sign in to follow this  
Soupeod

More blood pressure, heart failure medications added to FDA recall

Soupeod

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/health/more-blood-pressure-heart-failure-medications-added-to-fda-recall/63-583362518

More blood pressure, heart failure medications added to FDA recall

Check your medicine cabinets.

Author: KSDK Staff
Published: 7:10 PM CDT August 12, 2018
Updated: 7:10 PM CDT August 12, 2018

More companies have been added to an FDA recall of blood pressure medicine containing a possible carcinogen.

Click or tap here to see the updated list, which expands upon the original valsartan-containing drugs to at least 40 products with varying pill counts.

An impurity called N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) was found in the drugs. NDMA is classified as a probable human carcinogen based on lab tests.

Valsartan products subject to the recall 8.8.18.pdf

Edited by soupeod
  • Like 1

A_Simple_Man

Many expats here take Losartan, which is very similar to Valsartan.  You may be asking yourself if you should keep taking Losartan and if it is affected by the recall.  Here is what I can see about that:

Neither losartan nor any other ARBs are affected by the valsartan recall.

That's good news for me as Losartan is cheap and effective.

• Like 2

Jack Rat
19 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Many expats here take Losartan, which is very similar to Valsartan.  You may be asking yourself if you should keep taking Losartan and if it is affected by the recall.  Here is what I can see about that:

Neither losartan nor any other ARBs are affected by the valsartan recall.

After a surprising reading of 230/128 B/P a few years ago my doc immediately recommended 100mg of Losartan ( generic) daily. Losartan combined with generic Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg to help flush salt from the body is currently keeping my B/P at an acceptable level of around 126/82, my average heart rate reading is around 62bpm. I also take a 250mg Magnesium tab daily as it seems to work well with the combination of my B/P medication. I'm 70 plus and still doing 35-45 minutes gym daily, and have never felt better.

• Like 2

Lordblacknail

Why magnesium and not potassium? Diuretics flush potassium when you take them, throwing the balance of sodium and potassium out of balance.

Asimov said the death of mankind could  be because of flush toilets, remember?

lamoe
52 minutes ago, Lordblacknail said:

Asimov said the death of mankind could  be because of flush toilets, remember?

Kind of a misquote - what he actually said was

"NOT flushing the toilet will be the death of a man when his lady finds out"

Take 5 mg of Lisinopril - last time in US got 60 tabs of 40 Mg - same cost as 5 Mg  - cut into 8 pieces

Edited by lamoe

Enuff
Kind of a misquote - what he actually said was
"NOT flushing the toilet will be the death of a man when his lady finds out"
Take 5 mg of Lisinopril - last time in US got 60 tabs of 40 Mg - same cost as 5 Mg  - cut into 8 pieces
I got super lucky, I'm on the linsopril 12.5 and my last visit I asked my Dr for years prescription. He said most won't fill over 90 days but he knows Walmart are robots and fill almost anything. Went to Walmart next day and picked up my prescription. 365 pills $40.40 without insurance.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Contango
On 8/13/2018 at 7:16 PM, A_Simple_Man said:

I recently found out my mother in law in Bohol needs to take this, where can i buy them cheap in bulk?

• Thanks 1

A_Simple_Man
9 hours ago, Contango said:

where can i buy them cheap in bulk?

Many pharmacies set their own prices which will vary from place to place, as will availability of the product you are looking for.  As a guideline, I buy Losartan 100 mg for 9 pesos per pill at Generika Drug Store.  The 50 mg pill is available for about half that price.  There is no discount for quantity buying.

• Like 1