Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Mosquitoes - How Much of a Threat Are They?

Ozepete

Anything with the UN attached to it is usually bullshit! Banning DDT was typical of those idiots. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

max111
10 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

Anything with the UN attached to it is usually bullshit! Banning DDT was typical of those idiots. 

Sure. Take a drink of DDT then.....

lamoe
3 hours ago, max111 said:

Sure. Take a drink of DDT then.....

Take a drink of

Bleach'

Drano

Windex

gasoline

Paint

Turpentine

Tar

Etc. want to ban them also?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

max111
53 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Take a drink of

Bleach'

Drano

Windex

gasoline

Paint

Turpentine

Tar

Etc. want to ban them also?

And YOU Lamoe is the only one in this world that use those products to kill bugs that are destroying the crops etc

lamoe
6 hours ago, max111 said:

And YOU Lamoe is the only one in this world that use those products to kill bugs that are destroying the crops etc

Mosquitoes don't destroy crops, just people and animals.

You missed the point

Each of those serves a purpose and if mishandled can cause harm / death.

By the way each CAN be used in a pinch and I have used several when no bug spray around.

Particularly WD-40 flame thrower - great for tree worms and roaches (almost burned our hooch down once)

• Like 2

Dafey
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Each of those serves a purpose and if mishandled can cause harm / death.

By the way each CAN be used in a pinch and I have used several when no bug spray around.

Agree with Lamoe...we're talking about mosquito control not spraying crops. Used properly DDT could be effective. Now if we could only find some local pesticide peeps to 'use it properly'.

• Haha 1

A_Simple_Man
19 hours ago, Headshot said:

Hospitals here do NOT have a good track record for eliminating mosquitoes on their own properties, so you will likely see them flying around inside the hospitals. I once saw mosquitoes flying around inside an elevator at Chong Hua Hospital when we were going to visit a friend who had Dengue Fever. Since mosquitoes have to first bite somebody who already has the disease before they can pass it on, the Dengue ward provides a ready supply of infected blood for them.

Interesting point.  Too bad you haven't convinced Bama, who still believes:

12 hours ago, Bama said:

Most mosquitoes are outdoors I'm pretty sure.

Goetz1965

Mosquitos love me - I hate them but they don't care - so I get around 3-4 sting per week ....

3 years ago in Bohol I felt a little like having a light cold - so went to the doc - wow had dengue ... LOL

With 3-4 stings a week over now 4 years I sure must be dead alrady if I believe what all the news tell about the dangers of mosquitos ... yeah when I look at my profile picture ... LOL

Headshot

DDT was banned in developed countries because it was wiping out the birds on Earth. Unfortunately, for those arguing that it should be restored to use against mosquitoes, mosquitoes have already developed a resistance to DDT. Birds, on the other hand, have not. DDT is still used in much of the third world, including the Philippines, with diminishing results. Maybe that is one reason why every year we see less and less birds here.

I think a better solution is where they change mosquitoes genetically so they can't carry the parasites and viruses that spread the diseases in the first place. They have already distributed the genetically engineered mosquitoes to select study areas to see how well the program works. The mosquitoes that are genetically changed then breed with the wild mosquitoes and pass on their genes, which stops the ability to pass the diseases to humans. If mosquitoes can be changed so they can no longer be disease vectors, then they will just be a nuisance rather than a threat to mankind.

• Like 2

lamoe
54 minutes ago, Headshot said:

DDT was banned in developed countries because it was wiping out the birds on Earth. Unfortunately, for those arguing that it should be restored to use against mosquitoes, mosquitoes have already developed a resistance to DDT. Birds, on the other hand, have not. DDT is still used in much of the third world, including the Philippines, with diminishing results. Maybe that is one reason why every year we see less and less birds here.

I think a better solution is where they change mosquitoes genetically so they can't carry the parasites and viruses that spread the diseases in the first place. They have already distributed the genetically engineered mosquitoes to select study areas to see how well the program works. The mosquitoes that are genetically changed then breed with the wild mosquitoes and pass on their genes, which stops the ability to pass the diseases to humans. If mosquitoes can be changed so they can no longer be disease vectors, then they will just be a nuisance rather than a threat to mankind.

Not being a nah sayer but I get this image of a mosquito that 6 feet long 

" Mosquitoes carrying such arboviruses stay healthy because their immune systems recognizes the virions as foreign particles and "chop off" the virus's genetic coding, rendering it inert. Human infection with a mosquito-borne virus occurs when a female mosquito bites someone while its immune system is still in the process of destroying the virus's harmful coding.[6] It is not completely known how mosquitoes handle eukaryotic parasites to carry them without being harmed. Data has shown that the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum alters the mosquito vector's feeding behavior by increasing frequency of biting in infected mosquitoes, thus increasing the chance of transmitting the parasite.[7]"

RR3

Roundup now on sale. Mosquitos have no place to land and rest so they fly till drop dead 

royman

Need a solution to avoid mossie bites?  Stop breathing.....mossies do not see people...they are attracted to us by the carbon dioxide CO2 we exhale...   ?

Headshot
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

I get this image of a mosquito that 6 feet long

Actually, the mosquitoes that are the most dangerous here in the Philippines are tiny, and they fly very close to the ground (seldom more the a foot off the ground), and you will seldom feel their bite because their proboscis is so thin. Does that mean you are safe on the 17th floor of a condo building? No. As I mentioned before, they ride elevators.

Wear mosquito repellent if you want any protection from mosquitoes.

45 minutes ago, royman said:

Need a solution to avoid mossie bites?  Stop breathing.....mossies do not see people...they are attracted to us by the carbon dioxide CO2 we exhale...   ?

Sorry, but mosquitoes do have eyes, and they are attracted to movement as well as CO2 and other chemical compounds that our bodies produce.

Edited by Headshot

lamoe
5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Actually, the mosquitoes that are the most dangerous here in the Philippines are tiny, and they fly very close to the ground (seldom more the a foot off the ground), and you will seldom feel their bite because their proboscis is so thin. Does that mean you are safe on the 17th floor of a condo building? No. As I mentioned before, they ride elevators.

Sorry, but mosquitoes do have eyes, and they are attracted to movement as well as CO2 and other chemical compounds that our bodies produce.

Yep  about the elevator - have a bug zapper in bedroom

got  over 50 bites first time in Bohol

Feel successful if only get 10 when we visit

royman
20 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Yes, they do, but not eyes that see but eyes that give thermal sensory information to detect body heat