Sign in to follow this  
rainymike

Social Security Benefits for Dependents

Jawny

"If you are a U.S. citizen, you may continue to receive payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible for payment and you are in a country where we can send payments."

This quote is from the reference above.  From what I can see, the publication is guidance for non-USA citizens.  

Headshot

Well, I emailed SSA for clarification. I'll let you know what they say.

• Like 1

SkyMan
54 minutes ago, Headshot said:

NO. They do NOT automatically know that a dependent is a US citizen. There are MANY dependent children of US citizens who never receive US citizenship (for whatever reason). I personally know guys who have elected not to apply for US citizenship for their children. Yes, they are stupid, but they think their reasons are good. Those kids still qualify for SSA benefits IF they fall under the rules of the section you referenced. It sounds like their world falls apart if their father dies.

I think the more common case for this would be non-US citizens who have worked in the US long enough to receive SS benefits who have returned to their home countries.

46 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

Just think about how this rule stops guys from having a zillion kids on SSA roles.  

What stops this is that there is a limit to the total amount.  C1 gets something but if there's a C10 then each child gets 1/10th of the maximum amount, not 10 X the C1 amount.

• Like 1

Salty Dog
16 minutes ago, Jawny said:

From what I can see, the publication is guidance for non-USA citizens.  

It's guidance for anyone who receives SS and residing outside of the US, regardless of citizenship.

This is from the publication:

Your right to Social Security payments when you are outside the United States. If you are a U.S. citizen, you may continue to receive payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible for payment and you are in a country where we can send payments. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must meet one of the conditions for payment described in this publication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

USMC-Retired

Ok so I called my collegue who reviewed it.  I am WRONG.  However, am corrrect if you die. Then the whole alien thing applies.  Do not die with out her having the ability to be a rep-payee.   Took a while. 

You legally collect if you are a US Citizen even if the child is not.  Up to the family max amount.

Sorry my fault.  I even had someone review it.  Not going to them again.  At least I tried to be helpful.  Instead screwed the pooch. 

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Jawny

https://blog.ssa.gov/social-security-benefits-u-s-citizens-outside-the-united-states/

This blog may provide some guidance on the topic.  It’s tiresome reading as many posts are off topic.  

Not sure how a US citizen beneficiary who lives overseas would be considered  ineligible when the SSA regularly sends notices for the Payee Representative (living overseas with the beneficiary) to confirm the individual remains eligible and the benefits are being used on their behalf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, USMC-Retired said:

Ok so I called my collegue who reviewed it.  I am WRONG.  However, am corrrect if you die. Then the whole alien thing applies.  Do not die with out her having the ability to be a rep-payee.   Took a while. 

You legally collect if you are a US Citizen even if the child is not.  Up to the family max amount.

Sorry my fault.  I even had someone review it.  Not going to them again.  At least I tried to be helpful.  Instead screwed the pooch. 

Thanks for the added research.  The guide you posted is rather confusing and could be taken either way.

I guess if the citizen is still alive they are the one that matters and they are the beneficiary even for the child or spouse support.

Edited by SkyMan

Jawny

Something I’ve noticed in SSA documents is that a person with entitlement may be a citizen, or not.  Even in the internal SSA documents the use of NH is common, referring to the "number holder". 

I am pretty sure the number of beneficiaries in the Philippines is predominately Filipinos, either dual citizen, green card holder or Filipino. The entitlements may come from working and earning their own benefits after ten years of employment.  As well, widows or dependents and so forth.  

It makes sense there is a fairly large SSA staff in the Manila Embassy. Lots of beneficiaries. 

If you have a bit of time, the SSA blog referred to above has some amusing queries. Many deal with the "are you alive" form and having entitlements stopped.  However, the more amusing posts are from individuals who are planning to retire and want advice.  Even advice on which countries are good to retire in and near a beach with low cost housing.  I’m not joking. 

BTW there is an outreach in Tacloban soon and they will have an open hotline to speak with SSA in Manila. Isn’t that sweet?

Bama
8 minutes ago, Jawny said:

BTW there is an outreach in Tacloban soon and they will have an open hotline to speak with SSA in Manila. Isn’t that sweet?

Please clarify. Is SSA opening an office in T Town or simply a temporary question and answer seminar?

Jawny

Every once in a while the US Embassy sends staff out to various locales for a one or two day outreach.  They notify people who receive the STEP emails from the Embassy.

I don’t have the date or time, but the latest STEP message a week or so ago said an outreach would be in Tacloban.  I deleted the message  

STEP can be signed up for at the US Embassy website.

• Thanks 1

smokey

An alien i was told can collect on their own acct. Like a green card holder who works in us and never becomes a citz but all other bennies we were told like her collecting at 62 on my acct. said she must be citz

Headshot

Just as an update, SSA finally got back with me. As long as the child is a US citizen, they will receive benefits until they are 18 regardless of where they live in the world. They said SSA does not refer to US citizens as aliens, so the paragraph does not apply to any child who is a US citizen. I know that Tim already researched this further and came to this same conclusion, but since I said I would write to SSA, and since they finally got back to me, I thought it would be good to reaffirm this.

• Thanks 3

Chris24

I hope this thread keeps going for a few more years as a prompt to get my < 2months SS for my son.  Actually good info here as many are not aware of this benefit.  

SkyMan
On 11/4/2018 at 7:55 AM, Bama said:

Please clarify. Is SSA opening an office in T Town or simply a temporary question and answer seminar?

An Outreach is just a one or two day visit to perform limited functions. 

Headshot
12 hours ago, Chris24 said:

I hope this thread keeps going for a few more years as a prompt to get my < 2months SS for my son.  Actually good info here as many are not aware of this benefit.  

If I remember correctly, this topic is already pinned, which means it will stay toward the top of the list in the Social Security forum. If not, then it would be a good idea to pin it. Of course, that won't help you unless you go into that forum to look.