Sign in to follow this  
RogerDat

Has Cebu turned into a ‘criminal city’?

RogerDat

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/opinion/has-cebu-turned-into-a-‘criminal-city’/ar-BBLjeH9?li=BBr8Mkn&ocid=mailsignout

CEBU Mayor Tomas R. Osmeña himself has branded the city he leads as a “criminal city” following the series of killings involving local government, drug agency, and police officers. Mr. Osmeña told reporters that he agrees with the description made by one of his critics, Councilor Pastor M. Alcover Jr. “They say Cebu is safe. It’s not safe. I told you that already. It’s not safe. Something is wrong. Something is out of place,” Osmeña said. Mr. Alcover earlier expressed his frustration over the spate of unresolved killings and urged the mayor to do something to ensure peace and order in the city. “Cebu City is no longer Queen City of the South. It’s now a criminal city…How can we attract investors? I challenge the mayor to do something to preserve peace and order in the city,” Mr. Alcover told local newspaper The Freeman. Mr. Osmeña, meanwhile, said he will give Cebu City Police Office Director Royina Garma a chance to solve all the killings, especially the alleged involvement of police officers. “My priority, I will not compromise the safety of the city. Right now, let me just read the cards before I make a move. My move right now is let (Ms.) Garma answer for all of these,” he said. — The Freeman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
36 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

let me just read the cards before I make a move.

Tarot cards turn their mystical powers to municipal decision making.

• Like 1

Soupeod
7 hours ago, RogerDat said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/opinion/has-cebu-turned-into-a-‘criminal-city’/ar-BBLjeH9?li=BBr8Mkn&ocid=mailsignout

CEBU Mayor Tomas R. Osmeña himself has branded the city he leads as a “criminal city” following the series of killings involving local government, drug agency, and police officers. Mr. Osmeña told reporters that he agrees with the description made by one of his critics, Councilor Pastor M. Alcover Jr. “They say Cebu is safe. It’s not safe. I told you that already. It’s not safe. Something is wrong. Something is out of place,” Osmeña said. Mr. Alcover earlier expressed his frustration over the spate of unresolved killings and urged the mayor to do something to ensure peace and order in the city. “Cebu City is no longer Queen City of the South. It’s now a criminal city…How can we attract investors? I challenge the mayor to do something to preserve peace and order in the city,” Mr. Alcover told local newspaper The Freeman. Mr. Osmeña, meanwhile, said he will give Cebu City Police Office Director Royina Garma a chance to solve all the killings, especially the alleged involvement of police officers. “My priority, I will not compromise the safety of the city. Right now, let me just read the cards before I make a move. My move right now is let (Ms.) Garma answer for all of these,” he said. — The Freeman

Sure seems that way, with the news reporting drugs, killings etc... everyday.

imho not a place I want to live.

• Thanks 1

Headshot

It was exactly this same sort of challenge that prompted Tommy to form the vigilantes (who summarily executed numerous criminals) the last time he was the mayor of Cebu City. There is nothing new here. Cebu City has always had a bit of a criminal edge to it. Basically, what goes around, comes around.

Edited by Headshot

smokey

Well last year of the old vigilante i think it was 185 killed huum good thing gun permits are hard to get

Cgu
On 8/2/2018 at 5:05 PM, Headshot said:

There is nothing new here. Cebu City has always had a bit of a criminal edge to it.

That was never my feeling. I always felt safe in Cebu and also had "stability", power shifts occurred, but controlled.

But in the last year or 6 months or so, I must say criminality really skyrocketed, especially violent crime.  

Headshot

Though Liloan is part of the Cebu metro area, it is NOT part of Cebu City. Cebu City, itself, has a definite underbelly where crime has always been present. There are entire barangays where poverty is the norm. How much crime there is has always been cyclical, with ebbs and surges in the amount of crime at any given time. However, if you talk to those who were around during Tommy's first stint as mayor of Cebu City, you will quickly discover that crime was MUCH worse than it is today, which was why Tommy loosed the vigilantes on the criminals in the first place. Teams of assassins roamed around the city hunting down known criminals and killing them without compunction ... and they DID kill a lot of criminals ... thousands. No warning was given, and known criminals were killed on sight. Now, to be sure, this method of getting rid of undesirable elements wasn't invented by Tommy. Hit-men have been a part of life in the Philippines for as long as there has been a Philippines. It's just that Tommy took it to another level. And it DID have an impact on crime in Cebu City. It didn't take criminals to figure out that if they stayed, they died, so many left.

• Like 1