Corvette

Where are all you Cebu expats?

Corvette

Where are all Cebu expats?

After a longer relationship and living in the province, im now back in the city and single. 2+ years ago, expats usually met up at Ayala, Gilligans for the thirsty ones, Tgi fridays for the hungry ones, and people watching. I miss the weekends then, when we were 30++ in the weekends at gilligans and fridays  Since then, Ayala went no smoking, and seems quieter than ever. Friday's used to have a smoking area in the bar, moved to hallway next to the bar, but that came to a end few weeks ago. Social on the top floor was very quiet as well. The new smoking cage near Social, reminded me about a laundry cage. Guess majority of you don't smoke, but for us stupid smokers, it ain't fun anymore.

So I went to mango, first time in years, and all was gone. Good old Beat that was very popular in the past, was replaced with 7 Eleven, and the rest of the area are now only sales boots and barbecue night market. Maybe a few disco in the corner, but thats it. Irish pub near bookstore was open with only 5 punters. Guess nightlife is on its very last breath in Cebu, atleast if one passed 50. Mango was totally deserted, except people there for dining, and no need for another visit there. Bought a SML at 7 Eleven and went outside, just to be told by a security guard that drinking in public was a offense and people got arrested / fined for it. A evening to remember.

So, where are you Cebu expats? All live in luxury mansions in Maria Luisa, or out in the province? No more informal daily weekly meet-up in the malls, daytime or evenings? I need to catch up, so feedback appreciated.

• Like 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, Corvette said:

After a longer relationship and living in the province, im now back in the city and single. 2+ years ago, expats usually met up at Ayala, Gilligans for the thirsty ones, Tgi fridays for the hungry ones, and people watching. I miss the weekends then, when we were 30++ in the weekends at gilligans and fridays  Since then, Ayala went no smoking, and seems quieter than ever. Friday's used to have a smoking area in the bar, moved to hallway next to the bar, but that came to a end few weeks ago. Social on the top floor was very quiet as well. The new smoking cage near Social, reminded me about a laundry cage. Guess majority of you don't smoke, but for us stupid smokers, it ain't fun anymore.

So I went to mango, first time in years, and all was gone. Good old Beat that was very popular in the past, was replaced with 7 Eleven, and the rest of the area are now only sales boots and barbecue night market. Maybe a few disco in the corner, but thats it. Irish pub near bookstore was open with only 5 punters. Guess nightlife is on its very last breath in Cebu, at least if one passed 50. Mango was totally deserted, except people there for dining, and no need for another visit there. Bought a SML at 7 Eleven and went outside, just to be told by a security guard that drinking in public was a offense and people got arrested / fined for it. A evening to remember.

So, where are you Cebu expats? All live in luxury mansions in Maria Luisa, or out in the province? No more informal daily weekly meet-up in the malls, daytime or evenings? I need to catch up, so feedback appreciated.

For the most part, those frequenting Mango were NOT the Cebu expats that I know, so I guess I don't know where those you are referring to have gone. I mean ... jtmwatchbiz is still around ... but you probably wouldn't recognize him in drag anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Enuff

I meet up regularly for coffee with a few at Cebu Pension Plaza's eBay Cafe.

Also have lunch a few times a month but most I focus in around Parkmall. Ayala is ok but I live in Liloan, transport is easy to Park Mall, J Centre Mall, Robinson Galleria and SM.

J Centre Mall is really starting to get a nice line-up of finer dining establishments. Worth a look into.

I think the smoking ban is working if it was meant to stop large groups of men from assembling for daytime drinking.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Corvette

I refering to all kind of expats, not the alcoholics. I can assure you, that many prominent high profile married expats business men have been at mango in the past. So what? Maybe not acceptable for a few narrow minded, for the rest, it was just a place in the past to have a few beers, before go home, alone. Mango was not really the main thing here. Just a indication that expats is nowhere to be seen, compared with pre-smoke ban.

@Enuff, thanks for useful info. Will check out next time I go for visa extension.  The few I know in the city who smokes and like a afternoon pilsen, now stay mostly at home, where they can enjoy their sig and a beer, without problem. 

• Thanks 1

Headshot
23 minutes ago, Corvette said:

I refering to all kind of expats, not the alcoholics. I can assure you, that many prominent high profile married expats business men have been at mango in the past. So what? Maybe not acceptable for a few narrow minded, for the rest, it was just a place in the past to have a few beers, before go home, alone. Mango was not really the main thing here. Just a indication that expats is nowhere to be seen, compared with pre-smoke ban.

@Enuff, thanks for useful info. Will check out next time I go for visa extension.  The few I know in the city who smokes and like a afternoon pilsen, now stay mostly at home, where they can enjoy their sig and a beer, without problem. 

You're absolutely correct. Most guys have been to Mango (or places like it) at some point in their life. It's just that most guys who end up staying long-term find other things to do over time. Once you have enough posts that I can PM you, I will send you information on Cebu Expat, which is an organization of expats living on Cebu. We go out to eat once a month at nice restaurants (usually buffets), meet with old friends and make new ones. It is a place where you can meet a good cross-section of expats living here (all nationalities, walks of life and interests).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

savarity

I live in that area, yes it is rather dead now, but has been heading that way for years. Some expats sit around the boring bars, looking very bored, LOL.

Places such as, el Gekkos, Time-Out, All-Stars, and there seem to be some at Joker's Arms.

I don't personally go to any of those places.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Enuff
Another to try is The Park Social in IT Park.

It's open air venue with a relatively close smoking section.

I wish they would give a few special permits to allow a couple bars to allow smoking again.its just not the same.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

Goetz1965

Why should I go to those bars ? Too see ugly fat guys drinking beer al day and boast with their young girlfriends ?
I prefer a regular life, I choose my friends very wisely because I am sick of people that wanna become my friends just because they need an entertainer because their life s boring and they always complain about everything.
Why you hang around in bars and drink beer ? Get yourself a hobby and do something meaningful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Corvette

Who hang around in bars? Asked where expats meet these days, daytime. In the past, Ayala mall was the place. Not anymore. Nothing to do with bars really.

• Thanks 2

easy44

Eurohub in Talamban is a gathering place for expats living out that way. That's where I would go if I was still living in Cebu. A big part of of the problem is traffic has gotten so bad that many are sticking closer to home.

Driving to Talamban used to be no big deal. These days it can take an hour at the wrong time of day.

• Like 2

the.lone.gunman
14 hours ago, Corvette said:

So I went to mango, first time in years, and all was gone. Good old Beat that was very popular in the past, was replaced with 7 Eleven, and the rest of the area are now only sales boots and barbecue night market. Maybe a few disco in the corner, but thats it. Irish pub near bookstore was open with only 5 punters. Guess nightlife is on its very last breath in Cebu, atleast if one passed 50. Mango was totally deserted, except people there for dining, and no need for another visit there. Bought a SML at 7 Eleven and went outside, just to be told by a security guard that drinking in public was a offense and people got arrested / fined for it. A evening to remember.

I used to enjoy going to Gliigans Ayala for dinner and a bucket of beers and a few smokes. When the non smoklng rules took effect places like Starbucks, Bo’s , Gilligan’s etc.seemed to lose a lot of customers, esp. foreigners who had money to spend. I moved down to TGIF which still had a small smoking area and i got by with that. With the smoking area at TGIF now gone that leaves only the Social upstairs which I don’t care for at all. It seems like a lot of the eating/drinking establishments at Ayala have lost a lot of customers since the no smoking rules took effect. Where do people go now to shop, people watch, have dinner, hang out, and have  a few beers and a smoke ?

• Thanks 1

Malibu

+1

Ayala is empty now. Few Koreans, far between any foreigners. Like its a big holiday and people have gone to the province. That fridays who have permit from city hall, was told to close their small smoking room by center management is just unbelievable. They lost even more customers lately, say the staff. Where are people?

• Like 1

easy44
2 hours ago, Malibu said:

+1

Ayala is empty now. Few Koreans, far between any foreigners. Like its a big holiday and people have gone to the province. That fridays who have permit from city hall, was told to close their small smoking room by center management is just unbelievable. They lost even more customers lately, say the staff. Where are people?

Too many malls, not enough customers.

• Like 2

RogerDat

90% of all malls here are women's clothes, shoes, and makeup. In SM, ACE, French Baker, and ? are the only stores I go in there now. Have not been to Ayala since the hobby shop closed.