EOMFD464

NFL

HeyMike

I thought the Chief's player did line up in the neutral zone when I was watching the game. It certainly looked like it from the replay. I can't tell anything from the video posted above, but I believe it may have been the right call. The pass interference call on Brady was totally bogus though.

SkyMan

He was lined up offsides and I have no knowledge of a ref telling a player they are offsides.  It's really not their job and I'd be surprised if they have done that.  That would open up a whole list of complaints....why didn't you tell me we had an illegal formation?  Why didn't you tell me the play clock was running down?  Why didn't you tell me there were already 11 in the huddle?.......

For all  the ref knows, it's part of their defensive plan to make the QB think they have a free play and then he's going to jump back on side just before the snap.  Then the QB makes a risky throw and there's no penalty.

But as far as averaging out, didn't the Pats jump offsides on 4th and short allowing the KC drive to continue right after that?

Edited by SkyMan

SkyMan

5c453a162bdd7f1f0074d765-750-375.jpg

The blue line is not official but it does bisect the ref.  In fact, the ref is a little behind the blue line but his placement doesn't necessarily indicate the line either.  If Ford wasn't offsides, why were all the other Chiefs so much farther back?  Don't get me wrong, I'm no Pats fan either.

HeyMike

It seems obvious that the offsides penalty call was the correct call by the ref (above).

Salty Dog

Bottom line, if New Orleans had played a better game they would have won regardless… 

• Like 1

SkyMan
14 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Bottom line, if New Orleans had played a better game they would have won regardless… 

I'd be more likely to agree if this was a regular season game and some cellar dweller managed to pull off an upset because of a bad call. But a conference championship is, theoretically anyway,  the best two teams in the conference so there is little room for error.  Additionally,  these games are supposed to have all-star officiating crews. And in many instances, with only 7 refs on the field, there will be things missed but usually away from the play. In this case there was one if not two specifically assigned to watch the action receivers downfield.  I'm not a fan of either team but I like to watch good football and this was bad football. 

EOMFD464

Found this on a friends page.  I didn't see the game.

50732320_2324559004257441_519433001180856320_n.jpg

• Haha 1

EOMFD464

• Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, soupeod said:

Found this on a friends page.  I didn't see the game.

50732320_2324559004257441_519433001180856320_n.jpg

Well, there is that.  Hahaha  1st one is only a penalty if he holds on so we'd need a video to be sure.  2nd also looks bad but would also need a video, it could be his foot doesn't even touch him and the pic just happens to be in front of the helmet in that frame.  Even so he could be trying to avoid so again we need a video.  3rd needs a video too.  If the snap is at the 00 mark they usually let that one go.  The ball could be moving already.  I think they should have a horn at the zero mark like basketball and/or a high speed photo down the line like horse racing, reviewable of course.  4th, yeah, 15 yards added.

Quite likely a similar collage could be made by the Saints too.

I did notice quite a bit of uncalled facemasking in both games this weekend. It's quite dangerous so the NFL should warn the refs for the SB because right now both teams probably are thinking they can get away with it.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, soupeod said:

Good discussion there.  I agree with both sides on the 1st down.  I think the play called was reasonably high percentage.  Sometimes a pass on an obvious running down works well or vice versa because it's not expected which is why faked punts can work.  And sometimes when you do the expected it gets blown up and goes badly.  If Breezy throws a better pass or they run the ball it's likely GO and the DPI is never a factor.

• Like 1

SkyMan

I read some quote from Coleman where he admitted screwing up and having to interfere to prevent the TD.  He heard the crowd and assumed he'd be flagged but the ref said incomplete and told him the pass had been tipped which would make it incomplete but I watched again and there's no way it was tipped.  Anyway, it's in the books now.

• Like 1

Headshot

I seriously doubt there has ever been an NFL game that had no disputed calls in it. This was just one more. Big deal. The Rams won, and they are going to the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

SkyMan

For Boys fans:

Tony Romo Realizes He Should Have Used Ability To Read Defenses Back When He Was Still Playing

image.png.bb95e9aa6e1ec2cf1a5393e7ce4cd046.png

ATLANTA—Admitting that relying on the skill set was fairly obvious in hindsight, CBS commentator Tony Romo realized Friday that he probably should have used his ability to read defenses back when he was still playing. “Aw, jeez, you know, being able to determine whether the secondary was staying in man or dropping into zone would have been super helpful back when I was under center,” said Romo, who acknowledged for the first time that his aptitude for identifying blitz packages and dissecting coverage schemes would likely have improved his play at quarterback. “Honestly, it’s kind of a shame I didn’t take the things I learned from watching all those hours of tape and apply them to the actual games—because it turns out, knowing exactly what the other team is going to do is a pretty big advantage. Gosh, I probably could have even avoided a bunch of those sacks and injuries that forced me into early retirement.” Romo added that in retrospect, it easily could have been him catching Patriots cornerback Jason McCourty without safety help over-the-top on the second play from scrimmage next week.

KID

Anyone watcging the pro-bowl ?

KID

:D:biggrin_01::biggrin_01:

• Haha 1