White Castle Sliders Recipe

• 2 months later...
DeezNuz

Why do they call them Sliders? B)

Bob Ward

You obviously have not been to a White Castle or the southern semi equivalent which is Krystal in the south at 2:30 am after imbibing for 6-8 hours. They slide down pretty well about then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

they're small so they slide right down

DeezNuz
they're small so they slide right down

Thanks...I guess they had to come up with a catchy name for them.

Come to think of it...'Sliders' sounds more like something you would call some kind of Oyster snack. Like steamed oysters in a shot glass. Slider Shot. :P

Edited by CebuSportFishing
Cebuned
Thanks...I guess they had to come up with a catchy name for them.

Come to think of it...'Sliders' sounds more like something you would call some kind of Oyster snack. Like steamed oysters in a shot glass. Slider Shot. :P

Hey Rob,

There actually is a place in the USA, in North Carolina, where my Dad lives, that does just that. You can order your oysters steamed from Rare to Medium. And at the bar itself, you can order a round of Oyster Shooters, to go down with a nice cold beer....Oyster Shooter = Steamed or Raw Oyster, served in a shot glass, usually accomanied with a cold beer to follow it down! :lol:

Real WC's are cooked with dehydrated onions. The onions are rehydrated in a 3 gallon bucket with water. Before 1970's they used to add "spice packet" to the mix but now just salt the burgers on the griddle. THE SPICE PACKET TASTED BETTER.

Steaming is the key and the rehydrated onions are floating in water. They used to say an average of 17 onion pieces to each burger was optimum. If you use fresh onions I'd recommend adding a little water to make steam.

Nothing in the above recipe says anything about placing the bun on top of the cooking burger. This seals in the steam and also heats the bun. White Castle burgers are not flipped.

A "Master" griddle man laces the bun tops across the adjacent burgers, sealing in the steam, flavor and goodness.

Don't forget the pickle!

How do I know so much about White Castles hamburgers? It was my first job in 1967 and I worked there 2 years, becoming a shift manager in one year.

We once had an African Prince come in and order 700 to go. He was planning on taking them back to his village to give out to his people. It took us 45 minutes to fill the order, which became 745 before he was done. I can only imagine the smell on that plane.

Sorry, Krystal hamburgers are a weak imitation to the real thing.

Willie

Back in the day I never heard them called sliders. In Indiana we called them maggot muffins.

last time I ate there they slide out just as easy afterwards:blink:

sam12six
You obviously have not been to a White Castle or the southern semi equivalent which is Krystal in the south at 2:30 am after imbibing for 6-8 hours. They slide down pretty well about then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

LOL. That's funny, I always thought it was because of how easily they slide back out half an hour after that 2:30AM Krystal run...

EDIT: Sorry Kaloy, I didn't even notice your post.

Edited by sam12six
DeezNuz
Hey Rob,

There actually is a place in the USA, in North Carolina, where my Dad lives, that does just that. You can order your oysters steamed from Rare to Medium. And at the bar itself, you can order a round of Oyster Shooters, to go down with a nice cold beer....Oyster Shooter = Steamed or Raw Oyster, served in a shot glass, usually accomanied with a cold beer to follow it down! :)

Cebuned...Yeah man, I'm an Oyster fan. I prefer them raw versus steamed, but would eat it regardless. Slimey and delicious!

sam12six and kaloy regarding the White Castle and Krystals burgers. I know excatly what you're talking about. Even though the repurcussions of eating their burgers could be hideous. There is something addicting about those little burgers.

Back in my University days, me and my friends would always hit Krystals (down in Florida) after a night of partying. There's something about them burgers where you consume them after a night of heavy drinking where you don't get a bad hangover the next day. Back in the day, I remember consuming more than 12 of those things!

hoz...if I worked in White Castle, they'd end up going out of business due to money lost from me eating all their food. If I remember correctly, the last time I was in Los Angeles I was getting some groceries and saw heat-n-serve White Castle burgers in the frozen food section of the gorcery store.

hoz...if I worked in White Castle, they'd end up going out of business due to money lost from me eating all their food. If I remember correctly, the last time I was in Los Angeles I was getting some groceries and saw heat-n-serve White Castle burgers in the frozen food section of the gorcery store.

hehehehehe, yeah they sell em in the frozen food section now.

When I first started at WC (1966) I was 17 and they offered free food when you were on shift. I ATE 34 THAT FIRST DAY!

Now that I'm almost 60 I still love 'em, but can only handle 4 at one sitting.

DeezNuz

Dammit...I'm getting hungry again.

post-5388-1246972381_thumb.jpg

Living in Memphis we have Krystals. Krystals were one of the first franches that would stay open 24 hours a day. Anytime after 11 pm to 5 am you would see cars lined up for the little 'critters. ' at the drive thru windows.

I gave up on them as I got older due to the fat content. One krystal has 10 gram of fat, (about the same as a candy bar.) They are great when they are served hot and you are a little drunk..lol...

I always felt that Krystals missed the boat due to their fat content. They are steamed so they should be able to make them almost fat free. They could have sold a lot of krystals if they got their cal/fat content lower. I was surprised that they never attempted to market that feature. O well that is why I am a poor man.

I think there is more to it than just cutting them in squares and poking holes in them. There are so many variations online.

There was a place called Coney Island Joes downtown on Sangcianko Street that used to sell real White Castles.

They did'nt stay in business too long. :huh: