Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Mosquito Repelant

Dafey

It's been a while since anyone has done an update on Mosquito repelants. With Dengue a serious threat it's wise to stay up to date. In the US they recommend DEET be an active ingredient but the the bugs there are different. Should we still be looking for DEET? What about Skin so Soft by Avon. We swore by this stuff in the backwaters in Florida.

Here is an interesting article for 2018 but also interested in input from any expert Entemologists.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-mosquito-repellents

Asking for a friend 

• Like 1

RogerDuMond
34 minutes ago, Dafey said:

It's been a while since anyone has done an update on Mosquito repelants. With Dengue a serious threat it's wise to stay up to date. In the US they recommend DEET be an active ingredient but the the bugs there are different. Should we still be looking for DEET? What about Skin so Soft by Avon. We swore by this stuff in the backwaters in Florida.

Here is an interesting article for 2018 but also interested in input from any expert Entemologists.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-mosquito-repellents

Asking for a friend 

I use OFF! with Icaridin as the active ingredient, it works well for me. The only thing that works better is to have my wife with me. When she is around the mosquitoes flock to her and don't bother with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dafey

Which brings up a good point...some people are more attractive to mosquitoes than others.

• Like 2

cookie47
Which brings up a good point...some people are more attractive to mosquitoes than others.
That's so true, my wife will be slapping and wriggling and I'd be saying "what's" the problem.
Then I'd get that look...........

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cookie47

I must say that I'm taking this post seriously.
I've got two family members that have had Denge.(teenagers) Both hospitalised.
One was residing is Daanbantayan, one now in Lapu2. I've never been one to apply anything including Australia.
Have i been lucky, or or just plain dumb ? . But I'm now more more careful in my older years.

• Like 1

colemanlee
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

What about Skin so Soft by Avon. We swore by this stuff in the backwaters in Florida.

As did I, many hours fishing for Speckled Trout and Reds....but not sure you can even find it here

• Like 2

Dafey
34 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

not sure you can even find it here

Honestly I haven't looked but everybody and their mom is an Avon Dealer. worth looking into

Dafey
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I've got two family members that have had Denge

I also have 3 family members that have had Dengue. 2 were contracted in Cebu City. The oldest one in his 60s was getting no relief from the hospital but his lola made tea from papaya leaves which he claimed eased his fever and symptoms. Lola was very specific when she told me to use the older leaves not the young tender ones.

I'm not even sure what kind of mosquito carries Dengue. 

• Like 3

colemanlee
Dafey

That's the lotion...we used to use the oil. Don't know if it makes a difference.

colemanlee

guess for 300p its worth a try if you have a problem

• Like 1

Dafey

Just found out my MIL is an Avon rep....go figure. I'll see if I can throw her some business.

Headshot
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

Just found out my MIL is an Avon rep....go figure. I'll see if I can throw her some business.

If she can't find it in the Avon catalog, there is a real Avon store on Escario (not far from where jtmwatchbiz lives). My wife has gone there for some hard-to-find Avon items.

Me, I stick to 100% DEET liquid that I brought from the US.

Edit: My bad. That store has closed, but there are four other Avon stores in the Cebu metro area, if you look on Google Maps. The downside is that the only Skin So Soft product it appears they sell is the glutathione lotion.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Busted Dick

I use Human Nature Bug Shield Deet-Free Oil.  Contains lemon grass and a few other natural things.  It works.  I do need to disclose that my asawa sells it so I have an interest though, but it does work.

• Like 4

cookie47
As did I, many hours fishing for Speckled Trout and Reds....but not sure you can even find it here
A Ahhhh,,,,, don't get me off topic about fishing, one of my other loves that's needs to be revisited......

• Like 1