Sign in to follow this  
Davaoeno

Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

Contango
21 hours ago, Cgu said:

Hmmm. are you sure? An accumulation ETF would not pay out "income" (or dividend), but your are saying this is a non-accumulation (or distribution) ETF, so it should pay out. Which one are you looking at (EPHE?) I prefer accumulation if possible.

1% is actually quite low - it does not matter how many stocks a managed fund holds. However, there is a trend in funds, where they charge between 5-15% on the gains as fee. I quite like this system and hope more funds are going in this direction (Usually I never buy funds, but maybe some of these "new" funds might be interesting in the future)

An index tracking fund is not a managed fund, it tracks - thats it, no management required. in the US and Aus the index trackers charge less than 0.04% and they still make money, in the PH its between 1 and 2% ~ there is ONLY 1 PH listed index tracking ETF  firstmetroetf.com.ph

Cgu
3 hours ago, Contango said:

An index tracking fund is not a managed fund, it tracks - thats it, no management required. in the US and Aus the index trackers charge less than 0.04% and they still make money, in the PH its between 1 and 2% ~ there is ONLY 1 PH listed index tracking ETF  firstmetroetf.com.ph

No, there is EPHE (iShares MSCI Philippines - you are fully exposed to the PSI (unhedged). But up to you ....

Well, 0.04% is a little low (maybe a few), even the QQQ / SPY have 0.2% resp. 0.09%. Most are around 0.2%-0.6%, depending what they track.

Contango
On 9/6/2018 at 7:45 AM, Cgu said:

No, there is EPHE (iShares MSCI Philippines - you are fully exposed to the PSI (unhedged). But up to you ....

Well, 0.04% is a little low (maybe a few), even the QQQ / SPY have 0.2% resp. 0.09%. Most are around 0.2%-0.6%, depending what they track.

EPHE is domiciled in the US  trades on the NYSE and uses the USD as a currency base and doesn't track the PSEI. - the subject of this thread is Philippines stocks trading on the PSE.

Cgu
1 hour ago, Contango said:

EPHE is domiciled in the US  trades on the NYSE and uses the USD as a currency base and doesn't track the PSEI. - the subject of this thread is Philippines stocks trading on the PSE.

Iit is tracking absolutely the PSEI..It is UNHEDGED (so it does not matter what currency it trades..rubel, rand, heck even pesos). Secondly it invests physical (not synthetic), so it owns the actual shares in the Philippines (so actually 12% of NAV are invested in SM Prime Holdings if it would divest it would surely move the stock). So what more is it than trading in the Philippines SE..Who cares if the company is located in the Philippines or no, or what currency I need to buy myself in (I do not go and pick a local company if I want to invest in South Africa or for that fact in the US..as long as get the shares I want and the exposure to that market, sometimes hedged and sometimes unhedged).

Btw this is the analytics insight:

EPHE is the only ETF focused exclusively on the Philippines, and it's a good one. It holds exactly the same stocks as our benchmark basket.

https://www.etf.com/EPHE#overview

billy
On 9/5/2018 at 4:15 AM, Cgu said:

I do not exactly know why you quoted my post, by I assume it is about the fees. What we are referring is the management fee or for ETF the expense ratio (TER). This fee is "charged" annually. It is not the commission or transact cost.

The transact cost (commission) comes always on top for buying and selling (normally no transact cost for funds). This would be the 0.25% (but in the Philippines you have to add also the 12%VAT so its really 0.28%  - plus 0.5% on top on the sales transactions). Compared to online brokers worldwide this is rather on the top side.

Total fees to buy and sell 1.25% which is to high. When you buy your losing if your stock goes up 1.25% you haven’t made any money. Plus the Philippine Stock Exchange is illiquid in most stocks if you trade more then 5,000 dollars

Cgu
1 hour ago, billy said:

Total fees to buy and sell 1.25% which is to high

Totally agree!!

Davaoeno
On 7/18/2018 at 9:58 AM, Davaoeno said:

I have always played the stock market. I have made a lot of money. I have also lost a lot of money ! lol

I have been buying stocks here thru BPItrade although I see BDO has recently started touting their services also 

I have 3 recommendations .  Watch them and see me get rich - or lose my shirt !! 

ALI -  Ayala Land Inc.   currently at  37.65 Php

MBT -  Metropolitan Bank and Trust Company   currently about  70.30

RLC-  Robinson Land Corporation   currently about  19.70

All are currently fairly close to their 52 week low, but have rebounded in the last 2 weeks.  

Does anyone else have any favorites ?

I sold all of my stock holdings a few months ago because I needed the money to buy a property .  Since then the prices went up a little and then have plunged lately [ especially the last 2 weeks all over the world ]

currently:

ALI-  39.30

MBT- 66.00

RLC-19.90

I also like EW, BDO and BPI , all of which are currently down in the dumps .  As soon as I sell the property I will get back into the market 

Cgu
8 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I sold all of my stock holdings a few months ago because I needed the money to buy a property .  Since then the prices went up a little and then have plunged lately [ especially the last 2 weeks all over the world ]

currently:

ALI-  39.30

MBT- 66.00

RLC-19.90

I also like EW, BDO and BPI , all of which are currently down in the dumps .  As soon as I sell the property I will get back into the market 

Good on you! 

Cannot comment on any of these stocks, as I would not know how and where to get "good" figures in the public domain in the Philippines  (and off the public domain is not possible - yes - I speculate, but not just because prices are down or up...need a little more to go). In other parts of the world (US/Europe even some in China), I could give you my opinion in less than a minute...but here..

I can only recommend to stay in properties, once you sold - if the market goes in this direction - buy again properties. With interest rates rising, which normally is not good for the property market, it makes it very hard for property investor to get a good return (I am only talking about "property investors").  So if you time the cycle good, you can make above normal profits ( it has been the same way for the last 20+ years. It took over a decade or more to recover from the last big crisis - per example it took nearly up to 2012 to recover to the same prices from the asian crisis in 1997 - some made money, some...as it is:).

• Like 1

yingy52

If that's your deal have fun. I'm done trying to make more money cuz I'm happy with what I have.

It all sounds too confusing to even make me think about getting involved with something I don't understand.

• Like 1

rfm010

First moved here in 92 and noticed that after every presidential election at least certain stocks would do well,  pldt, abscbn, jollibee for example.  This behavior continued for several election cycles, maybe hasnt stopped.  I havent checked since at least the pnoy election.  Maybe something to look into for those not wise enough to sell the farm and put all the proceeds into amrn (u.s. stock).  Steal the neighbor's farm and put that money in as well.

Davaoeno
5 hours ago, yingy52 said:

I'm done trying to make more money cuz I'm happy with what I have.

It all sounds too confusing to even make me think about

So not only do you have soooo much money you don't want any more but you are also so confused you can't think about it !

• Like 2

yingy52
17 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

So not only do you have soooo much money you don't want any more but you are also so confused you can't think about it !

No. Just too tired of working for all those years. Just want to relax now. That's all.

• Like 2

yingy52
19 hours ago, rfm010 said:

First moved here in 92 and noticed that after every presidential election at least certain stocks would do well,  pldt, abscbn, jollibee for example.  This behavior continued for several election cycles, maybe hasnt stopped.  I havent checked since at least the pnoy election.  Maybe something to look into for those not wise enough to sell the farm and put all the proceeds into amrn (u.s. stock).  Steal the neighbor's farm and put that money in as well.

Take a wild guess who's retaking Makati this election. The Binay's of course. If the brother won't win the sister will..sigh. 

rfm010
13 hours ago, yingy52 said:

Take a wild guess who's retaking Makati this election. The Binay's of course. If the brother won't win the sister will..sigh. 

Either way rest assured daddy wins.