Sign in to follow this  
Davaoeno

Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

Cgu
58 minutes ago, billy said:

Buying at 52 week highs? It doesn’t sound good to me. I’d rather buy good company’s at close to there 52 week lows. But that’s only my perspective. 

Good luck.

I bought APPL, AMZN in 2010 at 52 week high, Berkshire in 2012. Domino's Pizza in 2015

This year once they hit 52 week high I bought high REGI, Boston Beer, Royal Unibrew. 

Of course you do not buy every stock that hits 52 week high (need a few more indicators, not only momentum and a strategy), but every stock that made huge gains and made people rich hit 52week highs after high (see APPL, AMZN - these stocks made 52 weeks highs nearly every week over years - and I am happy).

In contrast a 52 week low mostly will go lower and lower - of course you can wait for a reverse. 

But your call - my motto is different - do not lose money - so you might never buy a leader (like APPL, AMZN, AMD, GOOG etc. - these will hardly hit 52 week lows)

Edited by Cgu

billy
6 hours ago, Cgu said:

Good luck.

I bought APPL, AMZN in 2010 at 52 week high, Berkshire in 2012. Domino's Pizza in 2015

This year once they hit 52 week high I bought high REGI, Boston Beer, Royal Unibrew. 

Of course you do not buy every stock that hits 52 week high (need a few more indicators, not only momentum and a strategy), but every stock that made huge gains and made people rich hit 52week highs after high (see APPL, AMZN - these stocks made 52 weeks highs nearly every week over years - and I am happy).

In contrast a 52 week low mostly will go lower and lower - of course you can wait for a reverse. 

But your call - my motto is different - do not lose money - so you might never buy a leader (like APPL, AMZN, AMD, GOOG etc. - these will hardly hit 52 week lows)

This is a very unusual time with tech stocks never in history has it been like this. 

In this case you seem to be correct. I’m into dividend paying stocks. Slow and steady is fine for me. 

Cgu
22 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

OK  lets see how my stock picks have performed.  I will post my original prices plus current prices:

ALI -  Ayala Land Inc.   currently at  37.65 Php  currently 44.50

MBT -  Metropolitan Bank and Trust Company   currently about  70.30  currently 73.25

RLC-  Robinson Land Corporation   currently about  19.70   currently 21.30

By any standards, these are very good performances.

The PSE good beaten up this year and there are surely opportunities. I am just risk averse towards the Peso. I hold what I can in USD due to exchange rate pointing down ( as well as the current inflation), interest rate (around 3%net - calculating the inflation is negative). So I keep the liquid "Pesos" I need in USD giving a little interest (1.4%) plus the exchange rate gains. Will see if the sentiment in emerging markets changes.   

• Like 1

Contango

My PH stocks are going sideways, have been for 3 years, many good stocks cheap since May, been a bit of a bounce since early August.

PSE the stock that owns the exchange is cheap, monopoly business with big cash flows in a growth market, as the locals get richer and look for returns they are attracted to the local market, pays a dividend every year with current yield at about 4% ~ the only way is up.

billy
6 hours ago, Contango said:

My PH stocks are going sideways, have been for 3 years, many good stocks cheap since May, been a bit of a bounce since early August.

PSE the stock that owns the exchange is cheap, monopoly business with big cash flows in a growth market, as the locals get richer and look for returns they are attracted to the local market, pays a dividend every year with current yield at about 4% ~ the only way is up.

Your doing great if your stocks are going sideways in a down market

liquido

How about trying to get some insider information on who the new 3rd Telcom company might be? Or is that illegal here?

Contango
5 hours ago, liquido said:

How about trying to get some insider information on who the new 3rd Telcom company might be? Or is that illegal here?

There will be no 3rd player...mystery solved.

Cgu
10 hours ago, billy said:

ur doing great if your stocks are going sideways in a down market

Not really a down market... say a little dip. Since July 2009 the PSE is in upward market and still is. People should be able to make money (in Peso terms - not so much much in USD terms). 

9 hours ago, liquido said:

No money in these telco stocks. You better off buying the index....with a third player (as with Sun/Digitel) you would have made little or no money. A third player might be however beneficial to consumers,.

Contango
9 hours ago, Cgu said:

Not really a down market... say a little dip. Since July 2009 the PSE is in upward market and still is. People should be able to make money (in Peso terms - not so much much in USD terms). 

No money in these telco stocks. You better off buying the index....with a third player (as with Sun/Digitel) you would have made little or no money. A third player might be however beneficial to consumers,.

The PSEI was 9000+  in Jan and fell to a bit below 7000 in June, a 23% drop over 5 and a half months - thats a substantial dip.

Buying the index? the only ETF that covers it dosen't pay dividends, the PSEI is a non accumulation index, go figure. The non listed funds all charge a management fee of about 1% for a fund that covers 30 stocks - its ridiculous.

Cgu
1 hour ago, Contango said:

Buying the index? the only ETF that covers it dosen't pay dividends, the PSEI is a non accumulation index, go figure. The non listed funds all charge a management fee of about 1% for a fund that covers 30 stocks - its ridiculous.

Hmmm. are you sure? An accumulation ETF would not pay out "income" (or dividend), but your are saying this is a non-accumulation (or distribution) ETF, so it should pay out. Which one are you looking at (EPHE?) I prefer accumulation if possible.

1% is actually quite low - it does not matter how many stocks a managed fund holds. However, there is a trend in funds, where they charge between 5-15% on the gains as fee. I quite like this system and hope more funds are going in this direction (Usually I never buy funds, but maybe some of these "new" funds might be interesting in the future)

Soupeod
On 7/18/2018 at 9:58 AM, Davaoeno said:

I have always played the stock market. I have made a lot of money. I have also lost a lot of money ! lol

I have been buying stocks here thru BPItrade although I see BDO has recently started touting their services also 

I have 3 recommendations .  Watch them and see me get rich - or lose my shirt !! 

ALI -  Ayala Land Inc.   currently at  37.65 Php

MBT -  Metropolitan Bank and Trust Company   currently about  70.30

RLC-  Robinson Land Corporation   currently about  19.70

All are currently fairly close to their 52 week low, but have rebounded in the last 2 weeks.  

Does anyone else have any favorites ?

Yea US based Vanguard investments...not here.

Rexsmith

I am still not clear on whether a Philippine brokerage/bank can allow me to buy foreign stocks (primarily US) I want to open an account here. The HSBC said I can not. Even though I am linked to the HSBC in my home country. I have HSBC accounts also. Thanks

Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

I am still not clear on whether a Philippine brokerage/bank can allow me to buy foreign stocks (primarily US)

BPI Trade is the fully-integrated online trading platform of BPI Securities, the stock brokerage arm of the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI). It enables clients to post online orders to the Philippine Stock Exchange, offers real-time stock market quotes and comprehensive research. Make well-informed investment decisions anytime, anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

I want to open an account here. The HSBC said I can not.

Well obviously then you can not open an account here through HSBC.

Whether or not you can open an account with other banks has already been answered

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, Cgu said:

Hmmm. are you sure? An accumulation ETF would not pay out "income" (or dividend), but your are saying this is a non-accumulation (or distribution) ETF, so it should pay out. Which one are you looking at (EPHE?) I prefer accumulation if possible.

1% is actually quite low - it does not matter how many stocks a managed fund holds. However, there is a trend in funds, where they charge between 5-15% on the gains as fee. I quite like this system and hope more funds are going in this direction (Usually I never buy funds, but maybe some of these "new" funds might be interesting in the future)

Trades on regular stocks [ not mutuals]:

BPI brand: Over 161 years of leadership. 
BPItrade.com benefits from the expertise, leadership and resources of one of the largest 
and most trusted financial institutions in the country.
• Unparalleled end-to-end convenience. BPItrade.com clients can experience seamless 
movement of funds between their BPI banking and BPI trading accounts.
Transact for only 0.25% of the traded amount for online trades. 
That's the LOWEST commission rate allowed by the Philippine Stock Exchange.

Cgu
8 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Transact for only 0.25% of the traded amount for online trades. 

I do not exactly know why you quoted my post, by I assume it is about the fees. What we are referring is the management fee or for ETF the expense ratio (TER). This fee is "charged" annually. It is not the commission or transact cost.

The transact cost (commission) comes always on top for buying and selling (normally no transact cost for funds). This would be the 0.25% (but in the Philippines you have to add also the 12%VAT so its really 0.28%  - plus 0.5% on top on the sales transactions). Compared to online brokers worldwide this is rather on the top side.