Sign in to follow this  
Davaoeno

Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

Rexsmith

It is my understanding that foreigners can not open a stock trading account with a local bank/brokerage. Ideally I would like a local brokerage that can trade North American stocks. 

Not interested in a internet brokerage located in another country.

What banks/brokerages can someone suggest? Thanks very much.

RogerDuMond
10 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

HSBC

Rexsmith

I went there to the HSBC and told I can not open a trading account. That was two months ago.

RogerDuMond
29 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

I went there to the HSBC and told I can not open a trading account. That was two months ago.

I don't have the ability to trade online, but all I have to do is call my financial advisor.

Ian here is a list of currently undervalued stocks in the Philippines.

https://dailypik.com/undervalued-stocks-in-the-philippines-latest-list/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rexsmith

Thanks. I went to the HSBC and discussed this in person. I am a foreigner and they said I can not open a trading account and trade stocks. Were they wrong? Are you trading with HSBC and are you a foreigner? Further, if you are a foreigner and trading stocks are you trading US stocks? Thanks

Edited by Rexsmith

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Rexsmith said:

It is my understanding that foreigners can not open a stock trading account with a local bank/brokerage. Ideally I would like a local brokerage that can trade North American stocks. 

Not interested in a internet brokerage located in another country.

BDO and BPI  online trading accounts .

Rexsmith
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

BDO and BPI  online trading accounts .

Thanks, I will go there tomorrow.

RogerDuMond
3 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

Are you trading with HSBC and are you a foreigner?

I am an American living in the Philippines and have interconnected accounts at HSBC both here and in the US. Yes I have a managed investment account with HSBC.

Davaoeno
16 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

Thanks, I will go there tomorrow.

I have trading accounts at both

Cgu
2 hours ago, Rexsmith said:

Further, if you are a foreigner and trading stocks are you trading US stocks? 

As far as I know with online brokers like BDO and BPI you can only trade local shares (I inquired around 2 years ago just for curiosity - would never do it here..., but could have changed in the meantime - will be curious to hear)

As for HSBC (we are talking about HSBC in the Philippines not having another account in some other part of the world) they only offered my bills/bonds, no stocks (I will ask next time about stocks as well - that would be new to me). However, their offer is way worse than others (they are more interested in selling life insurance)

Ah, and be prepared to fill out tons of forms and papers.....

Edited by Cgu

RogerDuMond
49 minutes ago, Cgu said:

As for HSBC (we are talking about HSBC in the Philippines not having another account in some other part of the world) they only offered my bills/bonds, no stocks (I will ask next time about stocks as well - that would be new to me).

No, actually the question that I answered was about purchasing North American  stocks.

4 hours ago, Rexsmith said:

I would like a local brokerage that can trade North American stocks.  

And I do it through HSBC with interconnected accounts in both countries.

57 minutes ago, Cgu said:

Ah, and be prepared to fill out tons of forms and papers...

I opened all accounts in both countries at the same time from one HSBC branch in the US.

Cgu
49 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

No, actually the question that I answered was about purchasing North American  stocks.

So you trade US Stocks through HSBC Philippines (I assume Cebu) branch? 

Even if these are "interconnected" accounts, these are still separate banks (I have HSBC accounts in the Philippines and oversees...but the advantage is that there are no fees and the transfer is the same day. However, you cannot transfer from a PHP to USD account, only USD-> USD or USD-PHP)

3 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

I don't have the ability to trade online, but all I have to do is call my financial advisor.

So you call your advisor at HSBC (I assume again Cebu branch) and tell him the order to buy at PSE and/or US exhanges?

(I must call him next week, he only offered me fixed income)

billy

I had a brokerage account in the philippines with col financial. The commission is about 1.25% total for the buy and sell. So when you buy something your down from the start. I wouldn’t suggest anyone to buy stocks in the Philippines. It’s also not liquid so if you buy even as little as 10,000 dollars in some stocks if you want to sell you might take a big hit. Now in the U S some brokers offer free trading.  Besides the U S stock market is doing the best in the world. Even a top bank in Asia HSBC is at its lows for the year. Save your money and buy good dividend paying stocks in the US...

billy
On 7/19/2018 at 4:05 PM, Cgu said:

All these stocks can be traded on the NY Stock exchange - so you are better off trading them via IB, your commissions are much lower (1USD / transaction) and also you will surely get better rates. 

I personally would never trade at the PH-Exchange directly. Also, they might be at 52W low for a reason - not cheap, but maybe still too high - better take a hit at companies making 52W high. Never had a good experience with companies near at 52 low - but everybody should "pay" to get their own experiences. 

They might always need power, but it is a regulated industry (DOE). I haven't seen any growth in these stocks-

I agree ( even as of now they all take a big hit). I have them all on my watchlist and took at any of them a "swing" trade shortly after their IPO (the pattern was that all Chinese IPO's took off like rockets - I had to set always a trailing stop loss of 10% and got stopped out eventually, after they made one high after another). However, these are all Chinese based IPO and their numbers are still "vague" - no earnings reported yet and Chinese numbers must be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe will take another stake once they make 52W high again.

I agree also with you regarding country exposure through ETFs and also your view on the Philippine economy. There are much better emerging markets, like you mentioned Brazil, hell even Argentina, India or South Africa.

But why not combine your fun and investments? 2 of my investments are in beer :)  (Boston Beer - SAM) and Royal Unibrew (RBREW), which I bought Jan and Feb (after big sell off signal and 52W high - so it cleared the sky to go higher :)). Haven't been stopped out yet! So maybe even more in it....

Buying at 52 week highs? It doesn’t sound good to me. I’d rather buy good company’s at close to there 52 week lows. But that’s only my perspective. 

Davaoeno

OK  lets see how my stock picks have performed.  I will post my original prices plus current prices:

ALI -  Ayala Land Inc.   currently at  37.65 Php  currently 44.50

MBT -  Metropolitan Bank and Trust Company   currently about  70.30  currently 73.25

RLC-  Robinson Land Corporation   currently about  19.70   currently 21.30

• Like 1