Davaoeno

Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

Davaoeno

I have always played the stock market. I have made a lot of money. I have also lost a lot of money ! lol

I have been buying stocks here thru BPItrade although I see BDO has recently started touting their services also 

I have 3 recommendations .  Watch them and see me get rich - or lose my shirt !! 

ALI -  Ayala Land Inc.   currently at  37.65 Php

MBT -  Metropolitan Bank and Trust Company   currently about  70.30

RLC-  Robinson Land Corporation   currently about  19.70

All are currently fairly close to their 52 week low, but have rebounded in the last 2 weeks.  

Does anyone else have any favorites ?

profits101
Posted (edited)

Wow, this makes both RLI and ALI penny stocks....

If you want ETF exposure, EPHE and PIE provide that. Their charts look like several other emerging market charts - major 40-50% drops (USD strength, internal debt loads priced in dollars, political instability, etc), with recent bounces of 10%+. I traded many Brazilian stocks recently that had these characteristics. Still, my view on the Philippines economy is that it's... terrible. Growth is slowing, Duterte may be the people's choice, but has no economic chops, and foreign investment here has dried up since Marawi, China, and his taking office and telling most countries to F-off. Having said all that, since I love trading, I would take a shot at any of these, but maybe more from a technical perspective because I doubt it's possible to get a really good handle on the genuine fundamentals... family dynamics, manipulation etc. I trade the US market late at night... it opens here at 9:30pm (when Daylight Savings not in effect, then its omg 10:30pm), stay up to about 1am if things are going good and then maybe wake up enough to catch things going into the close at 4am time here... Doing well with IQ, BILI, HUYA... take shot at EROS ("Netflix of India"), and heavy heavy heavy into CZR based on call activity....

I think there is some kind actual Philippine stock exchange facility located here on V. Rama before you get to the Capitol. Always wanted to walk in and see whats up... but guessing guards would frown on that... 

Edited by profits101

MickyG

Foreigners buying on the local exchange are subject to tax on proceeds Some are taxed on worldwide gains like USA and others.  Some are exempt from tax if they use offshore exchanges to buy stocks like ASX  and LSE etc

Would residency not be a factor for some investors. Hate to see proceeds of risk being subjected to tax.

Davaoeno
4 hours ago, MickyG said:

Foreigners buying on the local exchange are subject to tax on proceeds .

Profits made on the local exchange are not subject to income tax but are subject to some kind of tax. 

fivestarph

Suggest you look at AP(Aboitiz Power) and ATI or ICTSI.

This country is always going to need power and port infrastructure.

Davaoeno
44 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

This country is always going to need power and port infrastructure.

And your analysis shows that their stocks are currently undervalued ?

• Like 1

fivestarph
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

And your analysis shows that their stocks are currently undervalued ?

In my view Yes, but that is my view.

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)

Of course ALL recommendations are just our own views .   

Edited by Davaoeno

fivestarph
Posted (edited)

hahaha, the problem is getting hold of these shares.

Edited by fivestarph

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

hahaha, the problem is getting hold of these shares.

I buy thru BPIOnline. They hold the shares. I have never asked them to give them to me !

Edited by Davaoeno

Cgu
Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 3:58 AM, Davaoeno said:

ALI -  Ayala Land Inc.   currently at  37.65 Php

MBT -  Metropolitan Bank and Trust Company   currently about  70.30

RLC-  Robinson Land Corporation   currently about  19.70

All these stocks can be traded on the NY Stock exchange - so you are better off trading them via IB, your commissions are much lower (1USD / transaction) and also you will surely get better rates. 

I personally would never trade at the PH-Exchange directly. Also, they might be at 52W low for a reason - not cheap, but maybe still too high - better take a hit at companies making 52W high. Never had a good experience with companies near at 52 low - but everybody should "pay" to get their own experiences. 

19 hours ago, fivestarph said:

They might always need power, but it is a regulated industry (DOE). I haven't seen any growth in these stocks-

On 7/18/2018 at 8:48 AM, profits101 said:

Doing well with IQ, BILI, HUYA... take shot at EROS ("Netflix of India"), and heavy heavy heavy into CZR based on call activity....

I agree ( even as of now they all take a big hit). I have them all on my watchlist and took at any of them a "swing" trade shortly after their IPO (the pattern was that all Chinese IPO's took off like rockets - I had to set always a trailing stop loss of 10% and got stopped out eventually, after they made one high after another). However, these are all Chinese based IPO and their numbers are still "vague" - no earnings reported yet and Chinese numbers must be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe will take another stake once they make 52W high again.

I agree also with you regarding country exposure through ETFs and also your view on the Philippine economy. There are much better emerging markets, like you mentioned Brazil, hell even Argentina, India or South Africa.

But why not combine your fun and investments? 2 of my investments are in beer :)  (Boston Beer - SAM) and Royal Unibrew (RBREW), which I bought Jan and Feb (after big sell off signal and 52W high - so it cleared the sky to go higher :)). Haven't been stopped out yet! So maybe even more in it....

Edited by Cgu

Davaoeno
6 hours ago, Cgu said:

All these stocks can be traded on the NY Stock exchange - so you are better off trading them via IB, your commissions are much lower (1USD / transaction) and also you will surely get better rates.

Ithink you neglected to read the thread title - its :  Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

and again , your reading comprehension is lacking when you say "  There are much better emerging markets, like you mentioned Brazil, hell even Argentina, India or South Africa."   This thread is about  Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

• Like 3

Cgu
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Ithink you neglected to read the thread title - its :  Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

and again , your reading comprehension is lacking when you say "  There are much better emerging markets, like you mentioned Brazil, hell even Argentina, India or South Africa."   This thread is about  Stock recommendations - Philippines Exchange

No. These stocks are listed on the PH exchange, but can be traded on the NY exchange as ADR's. You listed these.

Many stocks are listed on several exchanges, but is up to you paying more fees - good luck.

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, Cgu said:

but can be traded on the NY exchange

Can they be traded in pesos or do i have to get my pesos exchanged for USD and then back again when I sell the shares ?

Cgu
37 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Can they be traded in pesos or do i have to get my pesos exchanged for USD and then back again when I sell the shares ?

Yes, you have to convert to USD and then back, as IB does not offer PHP as base currency yet (IB is available in the PH).

Philippines ADR are not exposed to currency pair USD.PHP risk (as they will move accordingly). So if you mostly are fully invested in PH Stocks your exposure can be neglected.  Your transaction fees are still much lower (i.e. 10'000USD transaction < 0.02%). In the PH to the additional broker fees you have exorbitant sales fee (if think it is 0.5 - 0.6%). Sou your "roundtrip" fees will be over 1%, as the lowest allowed broker fees are 0.25% (compared with IB "rountrip" cost of  < 0.1%). If you trade up to 10K USD you can take the hit, but after that, it becomes rather expensive.