JohnSurrey

Grade 1 Mother Tongue ?

JohnSurrey

The book is called

Inang Wika

Mother Tongue-Based Multilingual Education Series in Binisaya Muticultural Worktext

By James M Gaje

And it seems that all the parents are struggling to help their children with this subject - some are even looking at alternative schools in order to avoid the subject altogether...

Anyone know what the problem is with it?

When I ask my wife all I get is it's like "DEEP Visaya" ... it's really hard..

to_dave007

my two sons in grade 1 and 2 at central elementary school in town are not having any problems with it, and seem to be enjoying it.  It's part of the required curriculum this year so I thought all schools are supposed to offer it.  I suspect that some teachers better at it than others.  My sons speak Visayan as first language and English as second language so far.  We are in province where my sons have family members who still speak deep Visayan, and multiple teachers within the family.

As near as I can tell "deep visayan" means old or traditional visayan.  These days the language is eroding in the cities especially, though it survives well in the more remote rural areas.  I understand it was added to curriculum as a response to this perceived threat to the language. Same in other parts of the Philippines with other "mother tongue" to teach.

I come from Canada, where the French in Quebec felt it necessary to enact laws (Bill 101 and others) to strengthen the French language in Quebec..  which they felt was under threat in a sea of English..  Plus you can be sure they teach French before English in schools.  It's their province..  their culture..  and their language..  and seems reasonable to me.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

noddle
11 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

The book is called

Inang Wika

Mother Tongue-Based Multilingual Education Series in Binisaya Muticultural Worktext

By James M Gaje

And it seems that all the parents are struggling to help their children with this subject - some are even looking at alternative schools in order to avoid the subject altogether...

Anyone know what the problem is with it?

When I ask my wife all I get is it's like "DEEP Visaya" ... it's really hard..

When my GF kids done these she said it was hard for them, and her, because it was a  "DEEP Visaya",  what she meant was, it was what older people from Cebu region would use,  not what she, or her kids would use or learnt, living in Davao

Edited by noddle
  • Like 1

JohnSurrey

14 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

my two sons in grade 1 and 2 at central elementary school in town are not having any problems with it, and seem to be enjoying it.  It's part of the required curriculum this year so I thought all schools are supposed to offer it.  I suspect that some teachers better at it than others.  My sons speak Visayan as first language and English as second language so far.  We are in province where my sons have family members who still speak deep Visayan, and multiple teachers within the family.

As near as I can tell "deep visayan" means old or traditional visayan.  These days the language is eroding in the cities especially, though it survives well in the more remote rural areas.  I understand it was added to curriculum as a response to this perceived threat to the language. Same in other parts of the Philippines with other "mother tongue" to teach.

I come from Canada, where the French in Quebec felt it necessary to enact laws (Bill 101 and others) to strengthen the French language in Quebec..  which they felt was under threat in a sea of English..  Plus you can be sure they teach French before English in schools.  It's their province..  their culture..  and their language..  and seems reasonable to me.

Good for you!

Can you or any of your family provide a link to something online ?

I cannot find anything... however if I search for "French" I get many results ?

MickyG
4 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Good for you!

Can you or any of your family provide a link to something online ?

I cannot find anything... however if I search for "French" I get many results ?

I think he may be referring to Quebecquois?  a sort of french that the French just love to correct:))

• Like 1

Davaoeno
52 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Quebecquois

Quebecois  are the people who live  in Quebec 

The language they speak is called " French "

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2