Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

Homework for Grade 1...

JohnSurrey

Am I being unreasonable thinking that 1 hour is enough at Grade 1 or is that not how it works here?

Our son (5 nearly 6) starts at 7:00 am and finishes at 4:30 pm each day

A_Simple_Man
15 minutes ago, JohnSurrey said:

What do they do during all that time?

JohnSurrey

I dunno - maybe the teacher marks the homework...

Actually they do have the Flag ceremony each day, 2 twenty minute recesses and an hour and a quarter for lunch.

Edited by JohnSurrey

Headshot
2 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Am I being unreasonable thinking that 1 hour is enough at Grade 1 or is that not how it works here?

Our daughter had between 1 and 3 hours of homework most evenings last year when she was in first grade. Whether or not it is worth it, I guess, depends on what your child is learning. Our daughter learned many things in first grade that I didn't get until third or fourth grade, and she learned some things that I never encountered in school. To me, it was well worth it, but every parent has to answer that question for themselves.

• Like 1

Enuff
What do they do during all that time?
My 12 yr old, grade 7, goes to a private school. Tuesday thru Saturday 7an to 430pm. They must also "work" on tutoring younger neighborhood children on Tuesdays and Thursdays 6pm to 8pm. They have 1 hr of physical training each morning, snack breaks and lunches. Absolutely no BS like dance and singing, all work. They have weekly requirements and if needed they attend a Monday class. It's hard work yes but idle minds learn nothing.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MickyG

Our neighbours have two kids the youngest is Grade 1, started on Monday, (their school is trying to align to northern hemisphere schedules and appears to be stuck in the middle!!).  They are up at 05:00 for school at 06:30. Finishes at 11:30.  Assignments if given are pretty short but do need parental help as reading the instructions can be a problem.  

I found this out when paolo, the father asked if I could ask my wife to help, she is the teacher. I asked what is the problem? he said i do not understand the question, so how is my son going to do this?

I said I be happy to have a look. He gave me the text book, looks like an over size kiddies colouring book. The question was totally meaningless, the Ingrish was all over the place!! So i gave him  interpretation of what I believe they were asking.  I thumbed through the book and was very pleasantly surprised to find that there were few mistakes, if any, other than the one we just put right. I was taken by the depth of reading knowledge that would be needed in English to be able to answer. Orally it would be more straightforward.

I asked about how often they get assignments and was told sometimes every day sometimes nothing for a week.!!

I tried to recall what i was doing at 5 going on 6

Ahh surfing on Manly  beach cutting classes and generally having fun. Today, grade 1 is way ahead of what I was doing, yet no where near as much fun.

• Like 2

RogerDat

our local kids also start early, because not enough class rooms. High school has 3 shifts same reason.

• Like 1

MickyG

I suppose Grade 1 being the issue it looks like assignments, what they call homework is as many hours as you wish

i cannot see a grade 1 doing multiple hours assignments with out falling asleep, they seem to get up so early. I would think 1 hour a day is plenty for grade 1

• Like 1

Enuff

Grade 1 was extremely difficult for me

Eventually I moved on but still it was the toughest 4 years of my childhood

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1