Philippine Electrical

cookie47

Woolf
30 minutes ago, Janneo said:

Question for the experts: Does that method really work?  I do get a buzz sometimes when i touch the back-plate of my computer, maybe a screw in a wall can fix that, but would it be enough if there is a real electrical fault?

I am pretty sure that a screw in the wall, will kill the IMI leakage current, put a wire from the metal part of your computer to the screw in the wall any thin wire will be ok

or to a metal stick rammed in the earth outside

will it be enough for a real electrical fault ?     NO WAY

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookie47

• Woolf

• Steven Mactan

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Notice that in VECO area you have 2 hots light switches are single pole, so even with switch turned off you still have 1 hot at the lamp socket always turn off  breaker when working on elect

I suggest the only thing your missing is an acceptance of "This is Philippines and that is how it is done here".  Just take a good look at the wiring on everyone else's appliances and outlets and you

maybe not, but falling down the ladder hitting your head on the tilled floor could

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I am pretty sure that a screw in the wall, will kill the IMI leakage current, put a wire from the metal part of your computer to the screw in the wall any thin wire will be ok

or to a metal stick rammed in the earth outside

will it be enough for a real electrical fault ?     NO WAY

Got it. Thanks Woolf.   I will try the screw in the wall for now.  I will need to research how to properly ground my appliances.

B.t.w. This IMI leakage current is it in any way bad for the computer?

Electricity is pure witchcraft to me :(

Woolf
14 hours ago, Janneo said:

B.t.w. This IMI leakage current is it in any way bad for the computer?

All computer power supplies have an IMI filter build in

If your electricity supply is 1 hot and 1 neutral the chassis will be at 60 volts for 120 volt supply and 120 volt for a 240 volt supply

that is if  the chassis is not grounded, the current will be a max of 0,15 mA for 240 volt  and half for 120 volt

it will NOT kill you

Americans have never noticed it, as the outlets there are grounded via the 3rd leg on the outlet

With the hot + hot supply  the center point at the IMI capacitors should be at  0 (zero)

but it the equipment has a single pole on/off switch well  you will have 120 volt at the chassis when switch is off, if not grounded

that is if the on/off switch is before the IMI filter

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cookie47
All computer power supplies have an IMI filter build in
If your electricity supply is 1 hot and 1 neutral the chassis will be at 60 volts for 110 volt supply and 120 volt for a 240 volt supply
that is if  the chassis is not grounded, the current will be a max of 0,15 mA for 240 volt  and half for 120 volt
it will NOT kill you
Americans have never noticed it, as the outlets there are grounded via the 3rd leg on the outlet
With the hot + hot supply  the center point at the IMI capacitors should be at  0 (zero)
but it the equipment has a single pole on/off switch well  you will have 60 or 120 volt at the chassis, if not grounded
Well explained. Thanks again.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
Woolf

It is EMI not IMI