Sign in to follow this  
cookie47

Philippine Electrical

cookie47

Help please.....

Although not qualified I'm ok with Australian 230 volt wiring (Australian colours and systems ) HOWEVER,

We have just moved into a new house and purchased new appliances. (Fridge, water cooler, microwave) The house has all three pin sockets (with round earth pin).

The appliances all have TWO pin PLUGS plus a completely separate green earth WIRE Attached to the chassis of the appliances .I asked the electrician through my wife what's the method of connecting the earth wire.

He says drill hole in wall and use screw, REALLY,!!!!.ON A NEW HOUSE.

I also asked him if the house had a safety switch= "RCD" he said what's a safety switch??.

None of the fuses are marked btw.

And no safety switch visible in fusebox. X2

The sockets do not have in built safety rcd/earth leakage device either. (as seen in the U.S on YouTube).

I've also looked outside the house for an earth stake (As expected in Australia) I can see one at the pole but is this related to my house. and in fact ARE the sockets earthed at all. I haven't bothered to investigate.

So back to these earth wires.

There only a meter long max. I've been to some houses and seen this wire not used particularly on fridges , but is this acceptable. I think not, because if the appliance became faulty no earth to stop you getting zapped...

Am i missing something here.

Thanks.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Woolf

putting a screw in the wall for the ground wire is just as effective as putting a knitting pin in a flower pot and connect the ground wire to it

It is not normal in philippines to use 3 pin socket, I would try to take one the sockets off the wall and check if a 3rd wire is connected

if you have the 3rd wire, change the plugs on your appliances to 3 pin, connect the green/yellow wire to the ground pin 

I had then install 3 pin sockets in my house and the ground pin is connected the rebar at one the main support pillars 

RCD,s are practical unknown in PH

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Am i missing something here.

I suggest the only thing your missing is an acceptance of "This is Philippines and that is how it is done here".  Just take a good look at the wiring on everyone else's appliances and outlets and you will see the similarities.  The foreigners who build their own houses often do the wiring according to code.  Very few others do. 

• Like 3

RogerDat

Mactan Island MECO requires a RCD in new construction as of 2017 when I did my garage plans.

What do you mean by "new" house? Where do you live. It is fairly easy to retrofit a RCD in a house fuse box. Work around, ALWAYS wear shoes inside, as well as outside here. We have that rat disease here that will kill you, keep out of standing water.

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 1

cookie47
Mactan Island MECO requires a RCD in new construction as of 2017 when I did my garage planes.
What do you mean by "new" house? Where do you live. It is fairly easy to retrofit a RCD in a house fuse box. Work around, ALWAYS wear shoes inside, as well as outside here. We have that rat disease here that will kill you, keep out of standing water.
Modena Sub division Consolacion.
Brand new house

Veco in the power company

RogerDat

See your seller, AND VECO to find out if required there.

• Like 1

Woolf

I made the below drawings a few years back

post-6705-0-73504900-1371253287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Woolf

Woolf

Notice that in VECO area you have 2 hots

light switches are single pole, so even with switch turned off you still have 1 hot at the lamp socket

always turn off  breaker when working on electricity 

if you do not know what breaker to turn off

take the main one

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 5

SkyMan
6 hours ago, Woolf said:

Notice that in VECO area you have 2 hots

light switches are single pole, so even with switch turned off you still have 1 hot at the lamp socket

always turn off  breaker when working on electricity 

if you do not know what breaker to turn off

take the main one

Come on, a little 110 won't kill you...

Woolf
9 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

maybe not, but falling down the ladder hitting your head on the tilled floor could

• Like 3

lamoe
9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

True but a little bit of amps will  - 0.1 / 0.2 A- Been hit with 80,000,000 (daughter's Jolt stun / flashlight) - 80 mil is the claim - comes with disclaimer that it's not easy to prove - ??

Something to be aware of - as was said  - single pole devices ALWAYS have hot side on Veco.

Had touched outside of old clothes washer with hand when off - no sensation - was wearing shorts - leg touched - definite sensation

smokey

So lets see as usual so many experts 220 the way to go 110 rules different strokes 

cookie47
I suggest the only thing your missing is an acceptance of "This is Philippines and that is how it is done here".  Just take a good look at the wiring on everyone else's appliances and outlets and you will see the similarities.  The foreigners who build their own houses often do the wiring according to code.  Very few others do. 
Yes, I take your point.
I have been a visitor for over 30 years (one every 1 or two years) whereas before i didn't take much notice of "How things worked"(as long as i didn't get electrocuted) because it didn't concern me. However, as a home owner and full time resident now, my interest and involvement have changed.,But are very comfortable how "things" are done in the Philippines

• Like 1

Woolf

@cookie47

I have a question

You said it is a new house, are the breaker the type shown below ?

Billedresultat for eu breakers

cookie47
[mention=18904]cookie47[/mention]
I have a question
You said it is a new house, are the breaker the type shown below ?
R8496531-01.jpg&key=e8fec8546f6d10b7830a4633f94a04924af297d202aebc0034a3e333d3786e79
Woolf: Thanks for your interest and followup.

Yes its a new house, however i failed to mention a very important point in my first post.
Although we have access to the house ( during the day when the workers are around) we have not moved in as VECO has not connected the power, Supposedly on the list for next week. Its funny because we had a "handover" but no power (only in the Philippines moment)

There is a "space" left in the fuse box that I'm lead to believe is for a safety switch, somewhat like your picture.
"I'm told" this by neighbors that this is the final component that is fitted when VECO have done there site safety inspection and when happy, fit/or the electrician fits the safety switch. This all makes sense in reality and seems to be supported by the neighbours.
I'm guessing that the question ask to the electrician was "lost in translation". Your picture shows a safety switch that I'm totally familiar with in Australia.

Woolf

the one shown in the picture is NOT a safety switch (RCD or what ever its called)

below is one

Eaton HPFI 2 polet 40A

• Like 2

smokey
53 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Woolf: Thanks for your interest and followup.

Yes its a new house, however i failed to mention a very important point in my first post.
Although we have access to the house ( during the day when the workers are around) we have not moved in as VECO has not connected the power, Supposedly on the list for next week. Its funny because we had a "handover" but no power (only in the Philippines moment)

There is a "space" left in the fuse box that I'm lead to believe is for a safety switch, somewhat like your picture.
"I'm told" this by neighbors that this is the final component that is fitted when VECO have done there site safety inspection and when happy, fit/or the electrician fits the safety switch. This all makes sense in reality and seems to be supported by the neighbours.
I'm guessing that the question ask to the electrician was "lost in translation". Your picture shows a safety switch that I'm totally familiar with in Australia.

Not moved in ? A local would have moved in as soon as the roof was almost on and Veco has temp power already wait till you get your first bill 

• Like 1

cookie47
the one shown in the picture is NOT a safety switch (RCD or what ever its called)
below is one
eaton-hpfi-2pol.jpg&key=2942b0f0eed98fc7b000ad70c2cc9294f5ab4955ba85d57da921ecb74650d90d
Yes correct got that, should have looked closer .

Fyi, All new houses in Australia and any older dwelling that requires electrical work involving work on a fuse box must by law be retrofitted with a safety switch...... "generic name" ( Well defiantly in the state of Victoria). I found this out on a 30 year old house that i had an airconditioner fitted and the electrician would not proceed with said work. And no he wasn't looking to increase the cost.....

cookie47
Not moved in ? A local would have moved in as soon as the roof was almost on and Veco has temp power already wait till you get your first bill 
Yes,

well to update the thread, we HAVE moved in this afternoon . We "spat the dummy" with Veco (which to be fair is probably not their fault).I think it was miss communication from the seller, So, I'm writing this post by emergency lamps including some used for camping in Australia that arrived in our Balikbayan boxes recently.
We are otherwise ok and finding it quiet interesting with water and street lighting, in fact no worse than Escalante Negros 35 years ago, the difference then were Petromax lamps.The guard at the Guardhouse has been charging our phones.

Will keep you posted as they say...

• Like 1

noddle

you need some small solar setup,  to charge your phones,  and maybe a LED light or 2

• Like 2

cookie47
you need some small solar setup,  to charge your phones,  and maybe a LED light or 2
Yes agree,

Our emergency lamps are solar/220 volts so have been getting relatives to charge.One operated for 16 hours so quite happy. I do have a nephew that has a "small" solar business but we didn't think we would be put in this position. We do have gas and water and battery radio, AND to be honest i haven't missed the TV.

lamoe
12 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Yes agree,

Our emergency lamps are solar/220 volts so have been getting relatives to charge.One operated for 16 hours so quite happy. I do have a nephew that has a "small" solar business but we didn't think we would be put in this position. We do have gas and water and battery radio, AND to be honest i haven't missed the TV.

Got two of these about 1,500 P - 1 for here in Cebu and one for Bohol when we visit

The flashlight (torch?) on side is very good and camp light on front very bright

>>AM/FM/SW1-2 4BANDS RADIO

>>USB/SD/TF(MP3)  PLAYER 

>>BUILT-IN RECHARGEABLE BATTERY 8V 4000MAH

>>SOLAR PANEL 12V-3W WITH 3 METER CABLE

>>LED LIGHT

>>TRAPPING LAMP

>>POWERFUL SPEAKER 3INCH *2PCS

>>TWO LED BULBS /3W

>>USB 5V OUTPUT JACK

>>AUX IN JACK

>>DC 9V JACK

>>AC:110V/220V (AC ONLY FOR CHARGE)

>>DC:6V(UM-1*4)

image.png.f631162840ea15a7e34c3eff261103cd.png

• Like 1

cookie47
Got two of these about 1,500 P - 1 for here in Cebu and one for Bohol when we visit
The flashlight (torch?) on side is very good and camp light on front very bright
 >>AM/FM/SW1-2 4BANDS RADIO
>>USB/SD/TF(MP3)  PLAYER 
>>BUILT-IN RECHARGEABLE BATTERY 8V 4000MAH
>>SOLAR PANEL 12V-3W WITH 3 METER CABLE
>>LED LIGHT
>>TRAPPING LAMP
>>POWERFUL SPEAKER 3INCH *2PCS
>>TWO LED BULBS /3W
>>USB 5V OUTPUT JACK
>>AUX IN JACK
>>DC 9V JACK
>>AC:110V/220V (AC ONLY FOR CHARGE)
>>DC:6V(UM-1*4)

image.png.f631162840ea15a7e34c3eff261103cd.png
I like that very much.

I've bought so many torches/lamps over the years that my wife says I need serious help , haha....

cookie47

That price is amazing for the features.

We were lucky, we got two for one deal at ACE,, Normally single price p900 (apparently). Its a lantern type with dimmer controller /solar and usb. I found the usb out a bit useless to charge my Android phone but brightness fabulous.

A_Simple_Man
52 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

we didn't think we would be put in this position

You have more patience than me.  Put in that situation I would be looking to hook up to temp power (which must have been available to build the house) or heading to the hardware store for a cheap generator to run a fan, lights, laptop, Internet and (with luck) a ref.  It will come in handy for future brownouts anyway.