FOXSSLOTS

220v to 110v transformer needed

Woolf
4 hours ago, FOXSSLOTS said:

2000 w not recommended - i was told to double my requirement - so 3000 w would be min.  

The heating element in a coffee maker is a pure resistive load ( not a motor load)

also the heating element is not on for that long

so if you are going to use the trafo for the coffee maker only 

I see no problem using a 2000 watt transformer

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

And that does not strike you as a little odd?

No it doesn't . Now if when I had turned the blender on it had blown the fuse I would have given the matter some thought . Things that work the way they are supposed to rarely cause me to stop and think about them  

I did try it the first time with a 100W transformer and it blew the fuse, so I bought a 150W and have never looked back !! hehe  Not even when I  have bogged my blender down with too many ice cubes .

Edited by Davaoeno

smokey
9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Highly recommend transforming ourselves into using electric equipment designed for the country we are in rather than transformers - besides removing the ground safety factor they are a huge energy waste, extremely heavy, take up space, unsightly and in general is real PIA.  As almost everything will get plugged into a 230v outlet at some point and be destroyed believe it better to buy new and avoid all those issues - plus the chance of a transformer caused fire (they are normally very cheaply made and overrated).   

really I did not know that having my 110 electric stuff from best buy and home depo plugged in all these years I find the stuff in the usa even same brand is better quality ... like my best buy Samsung refrigerator that's 15 years old and 110  also you can get from veco a whole house transformer if you want just saying

Edited by smokey

Dafey
11 hours ago, Enuff said:

I use the car battery type 5000w step-up/step-down transformer.

I don't think I'll ever need 5000w but I'd hate to buy a 2000w and need more juice.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Gives your coffee that new car aroma?

rep1
11 hours ago, Headshot said:

I got mine at True Value Hardware in Ayala.

I bought from True Value and it seems to get burned about one year later. Bad smell.

I only used it to charge the toothbrush UV cleaner, little power.

lopburi3
1 hour ago, smokey said:

really I did not know that having my 110 electric stuff from best buy and home depo plugged in all these years I find the stuff in the usa even same brand is better quality ... like my best buy Samsung refrigerator that's 15 years old and 110  also you can get from veco a whole house transformer if you want just saying

Have spent only 6 years in USA since 1960 and found US products to be cheap - but also to be made to sell cheap.  When 115/230 volt models were standard in the world the USA would only have 110v models with cheaper transformers.  Price point is a major factor in USA - where quality was less of a concern than in Europe.  I do understand that Philippines is not a prime market and many items are US models and often not of the highest quality and with little or no service facilities.  And yes I have used transformers and large UPS systems and motor generators in my work life but would still advise not using in home.  Most people will have family/servants and they will get plugged into 230v at some point.  As for Samsung refrigerator can say for fact they made four different models of the unit I have in Thailand for sale in different areas of the world.  The strongest units were designed for this area as normal room temperature will be much higher than in cooler or air conditioned countries.  I admit that my prejudice is increased by being in Thailand where it is 50Hz power (which often overheats US internal transformers even when converted to 120v).  Best not to have this extra thing to worry about - the typhoons are enough.  ?

Edited by lopburi3
  • Haha 1

Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

they will get plugged into 230v at some point

After multiple helpers etc no one has ever plugged my blender into the wall . Maybe it is because i taped the blender plug into the transformer rather than leaving it lying around as some kind of target for people to plug in .  Cost of tape- 10 pesos .  Cost of peace of mind- priceless.

People - feel free to steal my earth shattering idea about taping your 110 plug into the transformer !! 

lopburi3

Tried that at one point but rather nasty looking and too much wire on counter.  And at the price of electric in the Philippines any transformer loss is a hit in your pocket.