Sign in to follow this  
Enuff

Waze vs. Google maps

A_Simple_Man
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

GPS Accuracy.

Is Waze based on GPS or triangulation using multiple cell towers? 

• Like 1

cookie47
Good question, i don't exactly know however i am guessing a combination of both.

AS...

Waze doesn't have maps stored on the devise natively (however there is a Google map workaround for this) if one wants to try it. ( See Dr Google)

My understanding is that..........

It just downloads the maps on demand for the AREA of operation based in the GPS location/or tower?? triangulation at the time up to and including the destination selected. How much AREA OF data it accually downloads I'm not sure, But does require a mobile signal to do this at start up which will give you all the local traffic issue's that Waze users have inputed

This is why Waze is not good (in my opinion) for remote or weak signal areas (which may well apply to parts of Cebu Island ) As.....
IF your mobile signal is lost the resulting user input and experience info is lost and inaccurate Untill signal is re-established. It might work for a while using previously downloaded stored data but in. my opinion will eventually run out of data.

This is why living in the Outback of Australia Waze was of no help if/when phone signal was lost, (which can be 500 km or more ) without a signal.

But Waze was the best in a city area.

In our case we needed maps loaded onto the device and just a Satellite/GPS signal to work. Just needed an old phone without a SIM as long as it had GPS and downloaded maps. For those that might be in Australia and interested, HEMA was the best (for us, but there are others ) and showed many unnamed tracks on our cattle station.,however its NOT a voice guided application.

I know this is a long winded answer but I've been farting around with GPS for ever, but may not have answered exactly the Posters question. Lastly before writing this i turned Data off on my phone and WAZE Wouldn't talk to me or open.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lamoe
3 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Erased

Edit: didn't see what was written - saw what was read.

Edited by lamoe