Sign in to follow this  
Enuff

Waze vs. Google maps

Enuff

Yesterday we tried an experiment with Waze. Followed it completely from Bajac, Liloan to Cabancalan, Mandaue. Typically at least 1 to 1/2 hrs on a good day. Followed through Canduman but instead of turning where my driver wanted we took an alternative route. Arrived in less than 45 mins total with very little traffic.

Later on I used Google maps to locate a stop we had in Pakna-An, Mandaue. When Google said turn there was no road (later found out it is a road but 1 way out only and would have had to do an illegal uturn). Immediately turned on Waze and followed into Pakna-An, no issues.

I know Waze uses Google maps so I thought maybe Google needed to be updated. Not the case. Not sure how Waze is doing it better but they are.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SkyMan

Waze uses traffic patterns to determine faster routes.  If other Waze users stop or slow down it can send you another way if there is one.  The more people that use it the better it is but you need mobile internet.

Enuff
Waze uses traffic patterns to determine faster routes.  If other Waze users stop or slow down it can send you another way if there is one.  The more people that use it the better it is but you need mobile internet.

I've heard before that both are identical, because Waze uses Google maps.

Biggest difference is the hazard and red light camera alerts

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Goetz1965

Maybe I give Waze a try again - but last time I wasnt pleased with the usability of that app.

A_Simple_Man
2 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

last time I wasnt pleased with the usability of that app.

I hate it when the Mobile Data Internet goes out or I run out of coverage area when depending on Waze.  It just goes dead and if a person is depending on it then it leaves ya hanging.

SkyMan
5 hours ago, Enuff said:

They may use the same maps but Waze uses input from other Waze users which may be active (inputting where a cop is or a stalled vehicle) or passive (how fast other Wazes connected users are moving on a stretch of road.)  If a bunch of Wazers stop you might be routed around although there are limited alternates on Cebu.  It was nice to use my last trip to the US because even if you got stuck in traffic, Waze would estimate the time through the blockage so you could decide if you wanted to exit or just wait it out.

• Like 3

Dafey

I've been using Waze for several years and it keeps getting better. As SkyMan said the traffic maps are updated by Waze users, real time. they can physically input information or the App tracks their progress and shows when they are slowed or stopped. 

That being said it isn't perfect and you still need to use common sense. If the street sign says One Way, make sure you are going the correct way.

• Like 1

T.S.
On 7/11/2018 at 8:51 AM, Enuff said:

Biggest difference is the hazard and red light camera alerts

Different maps as far as I'm aware. Google bought Waze after it was already an established company/app. Waze users can login and update/edit Waze maps for everybody in places the app has tracked them traveling, I updated a closed road in my old home town before. Waze also uses live data from all of the other people with the app open, how fast they are moving, etc.

A_Simple_Man
16 minutes ago, T.S. said:

Google bought Waze

I did not know that.  Thank you.  It led me to a search as to why.  Forbes lays it out in this old news article

Four Reasons Google Bought Waze

1. Waze's user engagement

2. Keep Waze from Facebook, Apple

3. Waze adds features that Google Maps lacks

4. Use Waze as an alternative to Google Maps

Of course, there is the 5th reason of adding to the growth of Google's worldwide monopoly over everything Internet.  It has got to the point where there is a new game out.  Instead of Monopoly, it is Googleopoly

• Like 1

cookie47
I've been using Waze for several years and it keeps getting better. As SkyMan said the traffic maps are updated by Waze users, real time. they can physically input information or the App tracks their progress and shows when they are slowed or stopped. 
That being said it isn't perfect and you still need to use common sense. If the street sign says One Way, make sure you are going the correct way.
Add me to these comments. We've been getting a lot of Taxis lately, most use Waze. Nearly 100% in Singapore. Returning to Consolacion the other night an alert popped up re an accident Although it didn't help our situation we new why we were not moving.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

cookie47
Add me to these comments. We've been getting a lot of Taxis lately, most use Waze. Nearly 100% in Singapore. Returning to Consolacion the other night an alert popped up re an accident Although it didn't help our situation we new why we were not moving.

Edit, should have said Grab car not taxi

Busted Dick

I use Waze and find it very good although a good data connection is required which isnt always possible here. I cannot comment on Google Maps because I have never used it for navigation.

cookie47
A chap shouted at me one day and said. "mate this street is one way"

I shouted back "I'm only going one way" ............ " Aussie humour" you gota laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cookie47

Re GPS Accuracy..

I met a chap at a BBQ once. He was a very experienced in Gps technology.
He was an installer if those massive dishes at military bases in Australia.
He said : The American Military own the satellites.
The general public just get a "free ride" on the technology.

The military " used" to change the accuracy of the the system from say 2 meters on ground to 250 mts, ON OCCASION "

I said "why"

He said "because they CAN. They own it.
This was around 2002 when i had my" First" Garmin in car GPS.

He said.....

250 meter on ground accuracy is not real flash for a moving car GPS.

I did experienced overshooting road junctions when the "lady" inside said "turn left it was far tooooo late. My wife used to be in hysterics laughing at the inaccuracy of that" woman" inside ". Then she would say" do a "u" turn (not my wife),, when firstly its illegal and from local knowledge i new strait ahead was correct.

Anyway maybe someone can throw more light onto this, or is it just a load of horse sh....... It.???.