Sign in to follow this  
wolfcreek

Book stores (other than National)??

wolfcreek

Are there any book stores in the Cebu area other than the National Book Store chain??

• Like 1

xylo7

I always wonder why they wrap the books with plastic and who would buy the books when they can't be sampled first. Can't browse anymore like the good old days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

lamoe
4 hours ago, xylo7 said:

I always wonder why they wrap the books with plastic and who would buy the books when they can't be sampled first. Can't browse anymore like the good old days.

Talked to a store owner about that.

People had a tendecnty to over bend the books as if they wanted them to lie flat - creasing  hard cover spines and destroying soft covers.

Most not as well made as before.

Note: Barnes and Noble in US / Rockford doesn't BUT if one of the roving spotters sees you doing it you bought it.

Edited by lamoe

Dafey
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

People had a tendecnty to over bend the books

I think it's a younger generation thing not just found in the Philippines. I have many hardcover books that are prized possessions and I'm very careful with the binding. Once the binding is broken the book is worthless.

We got a new karaoke machine a while back with a hardcover book with the songs, very nicely done. took all of 12 seconds for them to break the binding.

I read a lot on my Kindle and even when I look to buy I can almost always get a sample of the book on Kindle so I can have a taste of the author's style before buying a hardcover. 

• Like 1

mikewright

There's a good second-hand bookstore in Robinsons Mall Fuente.  Can't remember its name, but its on the first floor, left hand side as you get off the escalator.

trevorclap007

Book Sale, a used book chain. There's one in Parkmall and SM City.

A bit of topic, there's an ongoing booksale right now till July 23 at the IEC Convention Center, located at the back of Landers.

https://www.bigbadwolfbooks.com/ph/

• Thanks 1

lamoe

I believe E mall top floor near phone kiosks

xylo7
Talked to a store owner about that.
People had a tendecnty to over bend the books as if they wanted them to lie flat - creasing  hard cover spines and destroying soft covers.
Most not as well made as before.
Note: Barnes and Noble in US / Rockford doesn't BUT if one of the roving spotters sees you doing it you bought it.

I still wonder how any of the physical stores can make money these days, cellophane wrapping around the books or not.

One of my favorite weekday activities was going to B&N or Borders in the early afternoon getting a big cup of coffee and while away the afternoon reading skews of books at the in-store Cafe. About 20%of the time I'd buy a book.

Doing this activity these days is going the way of the phone booth. And impossible in Cebu, yes?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kreole
3 hours ago, mikewright said:

There's a good second-hand bookstore in Robinsons Mall Fuente.  Can't remember its name, but its on the first floor, left hand side as you get off the escalator.

I have been there numerous times but stopped going because it is so difficult to locate a good read as they are stuck among the thousands of useless romance and Clancy novels.

• Like 1

mikewright
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

I have been there numerous times but stopped going because it is so difficult to locate a good read as they are stuck among the thousands of useless romance and Clancy novels.

I know what you mean. But if you look hard enough you can locate a Jane Austin or two among all the Barbara Cartlands ?. And they do a pretty cheap price on some of the older prints.

I've been going there for years. Admittedly, they use the Halo-halo system rather than the Dewey system for filing their books, but I have usually managed to find a handful of hidden gems, sometimes in the unsorted books in the boxes under the shelves.

I wonder how long shops like this will continue, though, with e-books and kindle moving into their space. A while back I posted on this forum that i had about 70 books to give away if anyone wanted them. No takers here, but my neighbors were very happy to have them

lamoe
5 hours ago, xylo7 said:

I still wonder how any of the physical stores can make money these days, cellophane wrapping around the books or not.

Good question

Would go to B&N scope out the SiFi books I wanted  put in request t -  library  usually granted in a couple of weeks

Staff said I was one of the few who used that service and was responsible for increasing the SF section as that it was .science Fiction rather that heavily Science & Fantasy

Since I still pay real estate taxes can use online e-book portal.

xylo7

Has anybody been to a real public library in the Cebu City area? Does that exist? I'm sure it's not up to us standards, but there must be something.

• Like 1

lamoe
43 minutes ago, xylo7 said:

Has anybody been to a real public library in the Cebu City area? Does that exist? I'm sure it's not up to us standards, but there must be something.

Osmena  right side - down from Escario - open 24 / 7

OR left side up from Colon ?

About what you'd expect from a  US small city

Dress code enforced

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Enuff
Osmena  right side - down from Escario - open 24 / 7
OR left side up from Colon
About what you'd expect from a  US small city
Dress code enforced
Mayor Osmena made the library 24/7 after requests from students about 3 months ago.

He had gotten a lot of heat for acting so quickly, less than a week from idea to reality.

Now he often posts pictures of a full library, says he is opening more.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

xylo7

I don't mean to get too off topic, but I feel it's related to libraries and bookstores, but are there any coworking centers in Cebu?