Can you make money in Real Estate in the Philippines

Jack Rat
2 hours ago, GBT62 said:

Looking around here for a while - I realised paint companies here would not be an investment.

Not sure I will want to paint when I buy a place - it'd probably announce the place as a kano-target. That is despite the fact I cringe when I see some houses here and wish I had a paint can and brush.

Might be better to cover the walls in election posters and Globe tarps - and just keep the insides well painted :)

On average, do properties here appreciate in value over time and are actually worthwhile as an investment ?   It might seem like an odd question, but second-hand properties are "bad luck" in places like Japan and therefore drop in value over the years - so upkeep there is also minimal, if at all.  

Have you noticed many Filipinos have no colour sense when it comes to painting and tiling the interiors of their homes? 

• Like 3
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Dafey

• GBT62

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Davaoeno Your's is a little different than ours...

We found Dutch Boy paint here locally. Pretty happy with it.

Nobody is into preventive maint. I hate broken stuff 

Posted Images

Davaoeno

This is the first house I sold here . 4 floors [ 5 total levels] with a pool attached to the house at the 2nd level .  Inside the 2nd level was a large koi pong and a waterfall. The house was featured on ABS-CBN  . I still have a dvd of the tv show it was featured  on ]

The pool was quite small compared to what we are used to- but big enough to be able to advertise " house for sale with pool ! "  hehe

Royal Pines april 2012 041.JPG

Royal Pines april 2012 044.JPG

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

@Davaoeno Your's is a little different than ours...

San Jose 044 01-15-2012.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Jack Rat said:

Haa Haa...I have owned a few homes with a pool..I spent many wasted hours cleaning the leaves and bugs from them.  

ughhhhh exactly - not to mention the trips to the pool store for a never ending range of chemicals after every huge summer downpour that made it overflow.

Once the internet/apps/online gaming arrived - my kids no longer bothered to leave their rooms (well the ducted A/C was a mistake too). Being the only one using the pool it wasn't a difficult choice to downgrade to a place with AC and no pool. Though the money I saved in power and chemicals was quickly rerouted to my Ex's handbags/makeup/shoes ..... Imelda was a lightweight by comparison ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Davaoeno

So the  painter- who does excellent work - knows that I am going for a nice clean looks like new look with the house.  As i mentioned it is on a fairly busy road  but I have a row of trees  so I dont have to see the road from the staircase. Anyway the painter decided that  in order for the house to look neater and cleaner he would remove all the branches from the trees !  He got 8 trees denuded before the other painter told him " Sir is going to kill you !! "  hehe

001.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
3 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

Have you noticed many Filipinos have no colour sense when it comes to painting and tiling the interiors of their homes? 

So talking to my MIL, she claims that the colors are good luck for different kinds of prosperity, i.e. the pale green we see so often is for "long life"

• Thanks 1
smokey

Nobody is into preventive maint. I hate broken stuff 

• Like 3
RogerDat

The paint here is sub standard, or as locals say Filipino standard. Acrylic is the only paint I use when possible.

Davaoeno
12 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

The paint here is sub standard, or as locals say Filipino standard. Acrylic is the only paint I use when possible.

I use a lot of Sun and Rain paint. It costs 495 a gallon up to 795 a gallon [ US gallon , not a real gallon lol ]

Most of the paint i buy is around the 500- 525 peso a gallon range

I certainly don't consider the paint to be substandard- and I have bought a shit load of it . . It is however about 1/4 of the paint I used to buy from Benjamin Moore !!

This job alone will be about 60000 in paint and  related items .

Davies Sun and Rain

Davies Sun And Rain

100% Acrylic Odourless Elastomeric Paint
Davies Sun & Rain is an odourless self-priming and water-proofing Low Sheen Elastomeric Paint. Unlike ordinary elastomeric paints, Davies Sun & Rain Odourless Elastomeric Paint utilizes 100% Acrylic Technology that gives excellent UV and water resistance resulting to a more durable and attractive paint finish. It covers hairline cracks due to its high elasticity, thus it is recommended for exterior and interior concrete walls. Choose among the 80 attractive and ready to use colors of DAVIES Sun & Rain! Special colors can also be formulated using our fully computerized tinting machines, in order to give an almost perfect color match. Give your wall a colorful, seamless and long lasting paint protection.
  • Like 2
RogerDat

I was referring to what is commonly used here, not what you use. I use that rain or shine on steel mesh fences as it flexes instead of cracking, have never used it on walls.

cookie47
I would have no problem investing in Boysen Paint !

In its July 2010 Issue, Coatings World ranked BOYSEN Paints as the 51st largest paint company in the world. BOYSEN was one of only two paint companies from the ASEAN region and the only Filipino company to make the list. BOYSEN Paints is also recipient of the Reader’s Digest Most Trusted Brand for seven straight years since 2006, the Platinum Status makes it one of only two paint companies in the Asia-Pacific region given the distinction.
Don't know much about paint, in fact i personally try to keep away from it.
Not very artistic.
However all the houses in my Subdivision (90)including ours have been painted with BOYSEN paint.
Looks ok now, will report back in 10 years if I'm still breathing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Davaoeno
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Looks ok now, will report back in 10 years if I'm still breathing

That's the problem with that substandard paint- you have to redo it every 15 years or so !! 

• Like 1

Except painting, do you have more plans, to give this property the wow factor?

Since kitchen already painted, that leaves out kitchen remodelling. Any upgrade to stainless steel appliances and a kitchen island,?  Seems so popular on tv shows flipping house.  Or remove interior wall, to make the kitchen open into living area, if possible?

Davaoeno

What sells in the West does not necessarily sell here .  Many [ most?] pinoys given a choice between quality and price will usually chose price !  In my experience anyway . 

The stainless steel 2 door inverter refrigerator 19 cu ft is only 4 months old 

The stove is stainless steel 7 burner Glem gas stove from Italy 

My wife just put an island into her new condo but I am not . But I will offer any prospective buyers the choice of me putting one in for them . 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
smokey
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

That's the problem with that substandard paint- you have to redo it every 15 years or so !! 

Every 5 years you mean i see it all the time the painters water it doen so it will apply easy .... Big mistake i bite the bullet and primed. The house then versa tex then 2 coats now 6 years later still looks good but like painting.3 times 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1