Salty Dog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

billy

She shouldn't have said anything and just have him arrested for fraud

• Like 7

Semper paratus

I think having one is a great idea now-a-days. Does anyone know where in Dumaguete I can buy one, and what brand ?  Any other hints on use etc. ?   Thanks

• Like 2

Semper paratus

Thanks, but I am looking for a local source in Dumaguete.

A_Simple_Man
11 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

Thanks, but I am looking for a local source in Dumaguete.

Roberts Auto near the airport sold and installed one for me.  I am not as thrilled having a dash cam as I thought I would be, but it does have and SD card to save the video, front and back.  What I don't like is that the screen is the size of my phone and I don't want to have to concentrate on that tiny screen when backing up but it would be fine for recording events.

It was marketed as a "backup cam" but it has a split screen that shows in front and behind when the vehicle is in drive.  Cost about 4K including installation and only took an hour or so to install it, including the backup cam.  They advertise a cheaper one and it sounds good until the installer says "Yeah but there is no monitor with that one so you have to upgrade or supply a monitor".

• Thanks 1

GBT62
34 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

I think having one is a great idea now-a-days. Does anyone know where in Dumaguete I can buy one, and what brand ?  Any other hints on use etc. ?   Thanks

Sorry - can't help you with  Dumaguete stores (only know the Cebu places) - but when you are looking - consider the one that is a rear vision mirror replacement/slip-on. 

Rather than another thing on a suction cup that might fall off in the heat (like my cell phone does) - it slips over your mirror - and displays the front and rear views in a window in the mirror. 

The display can be set to fade after a time so you have a full view mirror (no real need to watch it - it is recording anyway).

This style - taken from a Lazada advert ...

image.png.4ef54e464aaeb81eadb14478d039fa67.png

• Thanks 1

cookie47

Have had a couple in Australia over the last 5 years

Would be one of the first accessories I'd fit however (now in Cebu with no vehicle).Mines currently in a Balakbayan box.. Mine has a small screen with AV out and supposedly will drive a bigger screen.

Most run off cigarette lighter plug which is ok but problematic for poor connection and most if not all cigarette lighter plugs switch off with ignition off. (This is an ADR..... Australian design rule)

Some high end ones you can hard wire.( much better)

Get one that's is movement activated, no need to worry about forgetting to turn it on.. However i used to leave mine on manually in a shopping center to see who was about the vehicle as MY mount could be swivelled to observe the drivers door. They can also be used with swivel mount to record interaction with the police, HOWEVER I'm NOT going to advocate that at all (see youtube).

Most run on a loop, mine is 20 minutes then starts over.
There are versions that take up part of the rear vision mirror. These are ok but are not as versatile as a stand alone rubber mount on windscreen.I Used mine one day to view behind a dashboard (put it on a stick).

Hope this is of some help, but cant help with Dumagete purchase..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

cookie47

Further to my advise,Windscreen Cam

I would have to agree with GBT62 that the rubber sucker on windscreen mount is a bit of a pain when hot, mine wasn't too bad even in 44 degrees in Western Australia, it would last up to three weeks sometimes? but in reality was easily reattached. There's nothing wrong with replacement or over the original mirror design.I went in one direction (stand alone) and others went with center mirror design.

• Like 2

Woolf
4 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Most run off cigarette lighter plug which is ok but problematic for poor connection and most if not all cigarette lighter plugs switch off with ignition off. (This is an ADR..... Australian design rule)

Some high end ones you can hard wire.( much better)

I see no problem cutting off the cigarette plug and then hard wire it, should not be that difficult

2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I would have to agree with GBT62 that the rubber sucker on windscreen mount is a bit of a pain when hot, mine wasn't too bad even in 44 degrees in Western Australia, it would last up to three weeks sometimes? but in reality was easily reattached.

let the suction cup lay in the sun so it heats up

then give it a little spray with silicon, clean with alcohol the spot where you want to mount it 

that should let it sit stuck for a while

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 4

cookie47
let the suction cup lay in the sun so it heats up
then give it a little spray with silicon, clean with alcohol the spot where you want to mount it 
that should let it sit stuck for a while
Yep,

that's the way to go, just be aware that in my case the power cable was in fact a very fine Coaxial, (i guess to protect for interference.) and thus a little bit of a pain to solder/reconnect but certainly doable if one wants to go down this path?. It depends however how much "fiddling" around the OP wants to take on. A newish car with a clean cigarette lighter receptacle is generally fine.

• Like 1

Woolf

If the cigarette plug is in fact a power supply  converting 12v to 5v, well then you can not cut it

but then get something like the one pictured below

Billedresultat for cigarette plug

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1

Goetz1965

You shold buy one with a GOOD NIGHTVISION - otherwise its totally useless here !

https://dashcamtalk.com

• Like 1

cookie47
If the cigarette plug is in fact a power supply  converting 12v to 5v, well then you can not cut it
but then get something like the one pictured below
s-l300.jpg&key=d8214e860fb665ad2cb22724ffbc3e2ca2baa1f10d0c0ec9899207ba33bf77be
The cigarette lighter plug IS the power supply @12 volt

There is was NO voltage conversion involved whatsoever in my case, but each product may differ. I guess with the popularity of usb that "some" later versions could run on 5 volt.

As i said the OP doesn't really want to stuff around as i have done for many years, probably just wants to "Plug and play" and get on with it. I only mentioned different options in passing....