Thai Kids in a cave

Watching the local Thai tv news, i got this. 

At the time the boys entered the cave, cave was still officially open.

The boys entered the cave alone, without any adult. He followed later, while he was looking for them.

120 million liters of water have been pumped out so far, sadly a big amount of that water ran back in, due to a mistake among the rescuers.

At present, 1 tv station reported that even 4 million liter is pumped out per hour, water level is still increasing very slowly. Not decreasing.

Divers from 7 nations are assisting the locals, in this rescue.

Thai Navy Seal and Thai Army Frog group, together with divers from 7 other nations, are working 24/7.

The boys are 4 km deep inside the cave.

The boys have received treatment from doctor, and food supplies.

Temperature inside the cave is 18 degrees Celsius.

Air quality is a possible big problem soon.

Soft type lime stone rocks, make drilling from other side really risky.

Some diver reported, due to the cave is less than 1m wide many places, to get to the boys take very long time. One tv station said 7 hrs, another tv station said it take a diver 11 hrs to reach the boys. For the same reason, even the boys get dive training, at present they are to weak, to even think about diving soon. When they are strong enough, the muddy water, and tight spaces will require the boys to dive alone at some distances.  In almost totally dark and possible claustrophobia - this rescue is extreme difficult.

Don't shot the messenger. Just inform whats on the Thai tv news.

• Thanks 3
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lopburi3

• Malibu

• Richard K

• Oz Jon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue is the Thai boys in the cave. Stop arguing and let the readers decide who they will listen to. If you have a personal issuer take it to PM or involve a Mod. Other than that....nobody cares!

Actually the UK divers have had the lead in this from early on as they have the most cave diving experience and have a strong team on site volunteering their services.  They found the children and mak

Sorry! - I believe that "TIT" comment is quite unjustified. The Thai management of this rescue certainly appears to me to have been excellent (according to Aus TV reports and pictures - particula

Posted Images

lopburi3

One 38 year old former Thai Navy Seal team member (volunteer) has died this morning while placing oxygen tanks along the expected evacuation route.  It is extremely dangerous in very confined areas in total darkness and water that is so muddy with extreme current that nothing can be seen.  And the areas above water are now losing fresh air supply.  

Kreole

How the hell did these kids and their team leader get so far into the cave, such that they cannot get out the way they came in?  Some of the descriptions portray the cave as very difficult to pass through.  I have to assume that the group entered during a low water period and found themselves stranded when the water began to rise.

lopburi3

Because the dry ground way in flooded with water cutting off exit due unusually early heavy rainfall that they were not aware of.  The water current was compared to Colorado River white water rafting by an American cave diver among the rescue team and so strong that the best divers in the world could not swim it for a week (until July 1).   That it takes the best conditioned divers about 7 hours to make the 4km trip gives some indication of just how difficult it is.  Not our morning mall walk.  

• Like 1
liquido

Hats off, Kudo's to any cave diver...Im not that comfortable in water anyways but even thought of doing something like that gives me  Claustrophobia ....

Flakes
5 hours ago, Malibu said:

Watching the local Thai tv news, i got this. 

At the time the boys entered the cave, cave was still officially open.

The boys entered the cave alone, without any adult. He followed later, while he was looking for them.

120 million liters of water have been pumped out so far, sadly a big amount of that water ran back in, due to a mistake among the rescuers.

At present, 1 tv station reported that even 4 million liter is pumped out per hour, water level is still increasing very slowly. Not decreasing.

Divers from 7 nations are assisting the locals, in this rescue.

Thai Navy Seal and Thai Army Frog group, together with divers from 7 other nations, are working 24/7.

The boys are 4 km deep inside the cave.

The boys have received treatment from doctor, and food supplies.

Temperature inside the cave is 18 degrees Celsius.

Air quality is a possible big problem soon.

Soft type lime stone rocks, make drilling from other side really risky.

Some diver reported, due to the cave is less than 1m wide many places, to get to the boys take very long time. One tv station said 7 hrs, another tv station said it take a diver 11 hrs to reach the boys. For the same reason, even the boys get dive training, at present they are to weak, to even think about diving soon. When they are strong enough, the muddy water, and tight spaces will require the boys to dive alone at some distances.  In almost totally dark and possible claustrophobia - this rescue is extreme difficult.

Don't shot the messenger. Just inform whats on the Thai tv news.

Some seems to be manipulated fake news

one adult did went in the cave together with the kids thats the assistant coach..

Parents began worrying and called the head coach he went to the cave but already was unable to enter due too the rising water levels he alarmed the police then .. So the kids and the assistant coach were trapped only thing to do for them is to go deeper inside the cave looking for higher grounds or another way out.

its not 9 hours to reach them that’s back and forward.. so its abouy 4-5 hours to get in or out with current water levels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Richard K
On 7/5/2018 at 12:32 PM, MickyG said:

Th Uk does not have seal teams

SBS and SAS.

The British civilian guys are highly qualified cave divers which is why they had all the equipment needed.

This is true. Almost every year there is a competition..not sure of the specifics, with the USA Special forces and Navy Seals and the Uk's SAS and SBS... the USA has hardly ever won...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
samatm
5 hours ago, Richard K said:

This is true. Almost every year there is a competition..not sure of the specifics, with the USA Special forces and Navy Seals and the Uk's SAS and SBS... the USA has hardly ever won...  

cause its rigged!.......      (just kidding)   :) 

• Haha 2
MickyG
11 hours ago, samatm said:

cause its rigged!.......      (just kidding)   :) 

tying their webbed feet together has always been seen as fair.Some of the Us and other overseas special forces also do training in the Uk at the SAS bases in Hereford. The brecon Beacons are not the rockies, yet still seem to provide a real challenge to all. 

Back to topic. I do not know of a tougher scuba technical requirement than cave diving.

many years ago a very experienced  group got them selves into trouble. One who did not make it managed to scratch into his dive cylinder  ''sorry mom''

SkyMan

I've been in some small caves diving with good visibility and even that is quite unnerving.  It takes some concentration to stay under control.  I can't imagine going miles in a murky confined space like that.  If my own child were in there I might be able to attempt it but I would be quite happy to let more experienced divers go ahead.

Boys Should Come Out Today: Official

CHIANG RAI — The boys should be brought out of the cave today, the head of the rescue operation said Saturday.

Divers are becoming faint inside the cave where 13 people are trapped as falling oxygen, rising carbon dioxide and an expected surge in water levels pose potential disaster to the cave rescue effort.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046895-heavy-rains-may-force-early-extraction-of-survivors/

Kreole
On 7/6/2018 at 12:56 PM, lopburi3 said:

One 38 year old former Thai Navy Seal team member (volunteer) has died this morning while placing oxygen tanks along the expected evacuation route.  It is extremely dangerous in very confined areas in total darkness and water that is so muddy with extreme current that nothing can be seen.  And the areas above water are now losing fresh air supply.  

Again, I am questioning how the boys could travel 4+ kilometers into the cave without being able to see, since I keep reading about the total darkness.  And then how could the coach catch up with them in total darkness, of course?  Most certainly at the beginning, someone had a flashlight, probably more than one, but to go that deep into a cave, the lights must have begun to dim before they reached  the end of their ability to see.  

And, if the cave was "officially open" why were there no experienced guides to lead them, especially with the evident danger of such an exploration.  Normally at such popular caves there are numerous guides and information, notices of precautions and dangers.  Some things just don't make sense.

Edited by Kreole
lopburi3
3 minutes ago, Malibu said:

Boys Should Come Out Today: Official

CHIANG RAI — The boys should be brought out of the cave today, the head of the rescue operation said Saturday.

Divers are becoming faint inside the cave where 13 people are trapped as falling oxygen, rising carbon dioxide and an expected surge in water levels pose potential disaster to the cave rescue effort.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046895-heavy-rains-may-force-early-extraction-of-survivors/

That is not the quote on Thaivisa.com article linked.  In fact report was from early this morning and said there would not be any such attempt today as students are not ready and conditions continue to improve - rain is forecast for Sunday night so they may indeed be forced into action but at this point are holding off.  Oxigen tanks have been opened in the area kids are located and is being pumped into the caravan 3 control center via hose.  Water level increased 10cm in 12 minutes when pumps were turned off as a test.

lopburi3
2 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Again, I am questioning how the boys could travel 4+ kilometers into the cave without being able to see, since I keep reading about the total darkness.  And then how could the coach catch up with them in total darkness, of course?  Most certainly at the beginning, someone had a flashlight, probably more than one, but to go that deep into a cave, the lights must have begun to dim before they reached  the end of their ability to see.  

And, if the cave was "officially open" why were there no experienced guides to lead them, especially with the evident danger of such an exploration.  Normally at such popular caves there are numerous guides and information, notices of precautions and dangers.  Some things just don't make sense.

This is a local cave system in one of the remotest areas of Thailand.  It was not a tourist attraction at all.  The kids and assistant coach had lights with them and entered together by all viable accounts.  When unable to exit couch had them use only one light until not work to provide longer use.  

Lopburi3 Look the screenshot. Then read!  I never alter what I post. I  only copy paste.

Edit: Owner Thaivisa posted this around 13:30 Thai time today

Screenshot_20180707-141941_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Malibu
Edit added time