Thai Kids in a cave

Richard K

Anyone watching this... what a dilemma..
It's not like a kitten in the tree...
I am glad they are ok.. and with Seals at it?.. I am confident.
But this is some weird shit... way bigger than a puppy down a well...

• Like 2
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lopburi3

• Malibu

• Richard K

• Oz Jon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue is the Thai boys in the cave. Stop arguing and let the readers decide who they will listen to. If you have a personal issuer take it to PM or involve a Mod. Other than that....nobody cares!

Actually the UK divers have had the lead in this from early on as they have the most cave diving experience and have a strong team on site volunteering their services.  They found the children and mak

Sorry! - I believe that "TIT" comment is quite unjustified. The Thai management of this rescue certainly appears to me to have been excellent (according to Aus TV reports and pictures - particula

Posted Images

M.C.A.

When it broke yesterday they found the kids the message of rescue sure seemed doomed but it sounds like today the message and resolve might be more immediate due to the flooding and more rain coming so hopefully they get these kids out as fast as possible but understand the many challenges.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Like 2
Richard K
35 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

When it broke yesterday they found the kids the message of rescue sure seemed doomed but it sounds like today the message and resolve might be more immediate due to the flooding and more rain coming so hopefully they get these kids out as fast as possible but understand the many challenges.

I am hopeful...as is everyone
I will say this.. you get the Seals involved?.. don't get much better.. if it can be done they will find a way..much confidece in them

• Like 3
lopburi3

The problem is that there is extreme current, even now with lower water, and sections that only one person can get through underwater so other drivers will not have direct control and visibility is zero even with lights as water full of mud.  It takes profession seal divers 3 hours to make the trip from entrance and it is almost all under water.  That the kids are team players and have experienced extreme conditions and servived is a positive factor in them probably being a lot more able to cope that most inexperienced divers - but even in a swimming pool it can be a safety issue for new divers.  And these conditions are just about the worst any divers have ever seen from reports of UK team members who found them.

• Like 2
Richard K

This is some hairy shit really...places that even if they learn to scuba... that tanks won't fit and they have to actually rock climb.. un-real.. some of these kids don't even know how to swim

• Like 1
lopburi3
9 minutes ago, Richard K said:

This is some hairy shit really...places that even if they learn to scuba... that tanks won't fit and they have to actually rock climb.. un-real.. some of these kids don't even know how to swim

But currently the only viable alternative is about 4 months in the cave (end of rainy season) with little or no outside contact before the water level will likely allow non suba exit.  Even if supplies could be placed in cave the area seams very small and unstable so might crumble or go below water level.  Indeed it appears will have to be a least worst choice decision call. 

Richard K
6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But currently the only viable alternative is about 4 months in the cave (end of rainy season) with little or no outside contact before the water level will likely allow non suba exit.  Even if supplies could be placed in cave the area seams very small and unstable so might crumble or go below water level.  Indeed it appears will have to be a least worst choice decision call. 

It's bad.. no question.. I read they were talking drilling?...
Man... this is some bad shit.. I do not throw blame... but.. in retrospect...bad idea that.. taking that trip

lopburi3

Drilling requires you know where and have access - both factors that are not currently present and there has been extreme fear any such action could cause collapse of actual cave as it is soft limestone.  The normal closed season on signs is July-November and they went there in June so likely did not expect any problem.

• Like 1
lopburi3
1 minute ago, Flakes said:

Funny there is also a Pattaya beach in Chiang Rai?..

Just a play on the name as it is a sandbar in a water area cavern which they hoped would be dry and they would find them - it was flooded and they were found 400 meters further into the cave.

Flakes
25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Just a play on the name as it is a sandbar in a water area cavern which they hoped would be dry and they would find them - it was flooded and they were found 400 meters further into the cave.

Yup??

badian
5 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

When it broke yesterday

what do you mean, 'yesterday'. 

in Thailand itself, this had already been a long running, and a massive news story for about a week, while these young lads were only missing and it was not known, if they were dead or alive. There were these vigils where lines of youngsters prayed for their deliverance. Schoolgirls waved the boys' pictures that they'd printed out in internet cafes even though the girls lived hundreds of miles away from Chiang Rai. i wouldn't be surprised if the 12 year old lads in the cave in Chiang Rai have received proposals of marriage from 12 year old girls in Hat Yai as if they were in a reality TV show. It looked like amazing stuff from afar actually. The Thais do have a character all their own, it shows sometimes and that was one of those times. 

then it broke even more massively, when it was discovered that yes, they were in fact alive. That's when the story got the big international traction it has now. 

these are always massive news stories these, and suspenseful. Will they or won't they make it. They're the very best kind. 

this hasn't got as much attention as the Chilean Miners story did, at least not in the west, I think partly because the trapped people aren't white and from a weird foreign culture. It really as basic and brutal as that. If they were a bunch of American or Australian schoolkids trapped, then it would have generated much more interest.

Edited by badian
  • Haha 1
Kabisay-an gid
5 hours ago, Richard K said:

I am hopeful...as is everyone
I will say this.. you get the Seals involved?.. don't get much better.. if it can be done they will find a way..much confidece in them

It's the Royal Thai Navy Seals that are involved with the rescue operation. The U.S. Navy SEALs have no involvement with the operation.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
Richard K
2 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

It's the Royal Thai Navy Seals that are involved with the rescue operation. The U.S. Navy SEALS have no involvement with the operation.

Not sure I said anything about the US Navy Seals... but..so what?... it is an elite trained Seal force yes?
Although it would maybe be helpful if the US Navy Seals got involved  
Funny how some just seem to be disparaging no matter what the issue or intent...kinda like tsismis..western style

badian

there was some audio footage I heard on UK Radio Five Live of divers communicating with the lads as they were first discovered. They had British accents. Who has dive equipment up there in Chiang Rai anyway which is about as far from the sea in Thailand as you can get?

obviously as is usually the case with these things, and was the case with the entombed Chilean miners story, there is a bit of a 'turf war' involved in the rescue with teams from various countries wanting to claim credit, while the 'host' nation, be it Chile or Thailand, doesn't want people to get the impression, that they are totally incompetent and that they can't sort it out themselves. 

meanwhile up above ground, while the brave flower of Thailand is languishing in the cave apprehensive, but determined to emerge, a whole new village has sprung into being. Families and friends, plus curious bystanders, are all there. Tents have been pitched. Food and drinks vendors have assembled, and they are making a killing. There is probably a bouncy frekin' castle there, for the really little kids. Gotta love these kind of news stories.