For expats, medical insurance or self insure, savings

Goetz1965

PNB has the Health ka pinoy card - a quite attractive insurance for emergency room treatments - just 1200php per year: http://www.pnb.com.ph/index.php/personal-banking/insurance-products/healthy-ka-pinoy.html

PhilHealth is always good if you want a cheaper insurance - even at now 17K per year.

Personally I signed up for BDAE insurance last year - german company and was best fir for me: https://www.bdae.com

If you like a good insurance broker that has a wide variety of insurances listed that you can compare and choose from just send me a PM and I send you his address. He iss german living in Palawan and being insurance broker for many years now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookie47

• Malibu

• billy

• Goetz1965

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use Patriot Travel Medical Insurance Staying in Philippines about 5 1/2 months, twice a year, a $2,000,000 usd policy with zero deductable runs about $700 a year. Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapata

And besides- if they are unable to save you then you don't have to worry about the bill anyway ! 

PNB has the Health ka pinoy card - a quite attractive insurance for emergency room treatments - just 1200php per year: http://www.pnb.com.ph/index.php/personal-banking/insurance-products/healthy-ka-pi

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

Personally I signed up for BDAE insurance last year - german company and was best fir for me: https://www.bdae.com

If you like a good insurance broker that has a wide variety of insurances listed that you can compare and choose from just send me a PM and I send you his address. He iss german living in Palawan and being insurance broker for many years now.

Checked out your link.

Age 50+ expat private premium cost 402$ per month at todays exchange rates.

Age limitation is 66 year.

Even it include outpatient and other benefits, I think 402 $ per month is out of range for many. Cover for cancer unknown, couldn't find it, only check-up only.

Goetz1965

Im 53 so for me its still cheaper. Sure i some zears one must adjust, but i still have 10+ years for that

2 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Im 53 so for me its still cheaper. Sure i some zears one must adjust, but i still have 10+ years for that

If you mean you have time to find another insurer, you are aware that many / most insurance companies only offer cover after age 60-65, only IF you joined long before, typically joined from age 55-58.

Join from age 60 and you only get 5 years coverage, then you get kicked out. So you don't have that much time. Not me either. Why I spend so much time contacting insurers, and it's a nightmare.

• Like 2
RogerDuMond
21 hours ago, Malibu said:

Or do you self insure, and how much do you feel is adequate?

I self insure to a point. Everyday medical procedures here cost less than our copay in the U.S. If I were to have some problem that can't be handled here or would cost too much here, my wife's employer in the U.S. covers medical insurance for the two of us.

to_dave007

Wife and I keep 300,000 peso in joint account at HSBC for medical emergency, plus I can access another 1 million peso on line within 24 hours, plus my daughter in Canada can help if beyond that.

I am self insured.  Wife and her family is on PhilHealth.  Thought about the 17,000 PhilHealth policy for myself but not convinced it's worth it  However Headshot's point about PhilHealth guaranteeing admission to hospital is a good one.

As Canadian I will remain broadly eligible for free health care in Canada for life.  The main issue that I can have is if they deem me non-resident, in which case coverage may be suspended and require 90 days "residence" in Canada to reinstate.  so far I have not been deemed non resident..  and I will never submit a claim for PI expenses for that reason. So I suppose I'm treating my Canadian health coverage as a safety net that I HOPE is there if I really need it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cookie47
Wife and I keep 300,000 peso in joint account at HSBC for medical emergency, plus I can access another 1 million peso on line within 24 hours, plus my daughter in Canada can help if beyond that.
I am self insured.  Wife and her family is on PhilHealth.  Thought about the 17,000 PhilHealth policy for myself but not convinced it's worth it  However Headshot's point about PhilHealth guaranteeing admission to hospital is a good one.
As Canadian I will remain broadly eligible for free health care in Canada for life.  The main issue that I can have is if they deem me non-resident, in which case coverage may be suspended and require 90 days "residence" in Canada to reinstate.  so far I have not been deemed non resident..  and I will never submit a claim for PI expenses for that reason. So I suppose I'm treating my Canadian health coverage as a safety net that I HOPE is there if I really need it.

dave007
Much of what you have said is somewhat the direction we will take.
Philhealth, funds in the bank, and Australia if in dire straits.
Similar to you as citizens we never accually loose our Government Medicare cover, although i recently discovered that the card expires after 5 years but that's only an administrative issue. Plenty of Australians go to Europe (particularly London) for years and return without issues.
I personally know a nurse that was in London for 25 years and returned and just applied for a new card.Thanks for your input

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

to_dave007
45 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

dave007
Much of what you have said is somewhat the direction we will take.
Philhealth, funds in the bank, and Australia if in dire straits.
Similar to you as citizens we never accually loose our Government Medicare cover, although i recently discovered that the card expires after 5 years but that's only an administrative issue. Plenty of Australians go to Europe (particularly London) for years and return without issues.
I personally know a nurse that was in London for 25 years and returned and just applied for a new card.Thanks for your input

same in Ontario Canada.  My card is expired now (in May on my birthday) and will be renewed next time I'm there.  later this year.  Have to be a bit careful, but I have Canadian friend here 22 years now and he's never had issues.  But don't expect to claim benefits for money spent in PI to cover medical..  

cookie47
same in Ontario Canada.  My card is expired now (in May on my birthday) and will be renewed next time I'm there.  later this year.  Have to be a bit careful, but I have Canadian friend here 22 years now and he's never had issues.  But don't expect to claim benefits for money spent in PI to cover medical..  
Absolutely, Australian rules are quite clear. One you leave the country your on your own. A lot of tourists have succumbed to major issues by not taking out travel insurance. Thailand and Bali come to mind where the "young ones" regularly fall off scooters and end up on the doorstep of the embassy looking for help.
Sorry a bit off topic from the original post....

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Is there a reward for turning in people for defrauding their home countries out of medical benefits they no longer qualify for...:biggrin_01:

to_dave007
52 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Is there a reward for turning in people for defrauding their home countries out of medical benefits they no longer qualify for...:biggrin_01:

Don't I? I still pay the annual premium every year.  I admit it's not huge..  but I pay it.

Edited by to_dave007
billy
On 7/1/2018 at 9:27 PM, cookie47 said:

Good subject people.
Something I've been working on for a while.
Haven't got too far as yet as once we tell them we are 70 and 66 for the wife they reject you.
However with the information from Billy i got a quote, It came back $16000 US..emoji848.png( per annum)
Anyway its bed time now so i will persevere tomorrow with Enouf, s provider. Although the wording is travel insurance. Is a Balakbayan with no intention returning to Australia considered a resident of ph.(in the opinion) of a health provider)
My wife is covered by Philhealth and i can be covered but is it worth the risk.
I suppose it will get you through the door but how much more..
I tend to agree that the lump sum $$$ inthe bank is the better option at our age.

This issue is a Dogs Breakfast as we say in Australia.

Was that the Asian plan? It sounds like that was the US plan. I just paid $1,826.00 I'm 61 it just went up in price

cookie47

FRAUD.
There's no fraud about it (on our part Anyway) its an entitlement as a citizen.(but may well cut out after 5 years). YES maybe not appreciated by some quarters of the population and you.Its based on the fact that I've paid tax (and the Medicare levi) for 48 years. We don't pay tax now as we are under the tax threshold (as we are pensioners) and also in terms of assets which applies WHEREVER we live. I would love to pay a fee in lue of living overseas for Medicare but as we don't pay tax we don't pay Medicare. assuming it was affordable and was available, but its NOT. The accual chances of us returning to Australia for medical treatment is ridiculously low due to cost of air fares and age.
But PLEASE don't use the word FRAUD.

As i said many many Australians work overseas for years and still avail themselves to Medicare on their return ( With recent changes they have the option to continue paying the levi whilst working overseas as this subject is closely tied with taxation and WELL beyond the scope of this reply

cookie47

Good point, to be fair it was late at night. I will return and check. Although I do remember that the first two questions were..
What is your home country.
Where are you living.
This is sort of ambiguous as now technology living full time in PH...

Was that the Asian plan? It sounds like that was the US plan. I just paid $1,826.00 I'm 61 it just went up in price

billy
3 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Good point, to be fair it was late at night. I will return and check. Although I do remember that the first two questions were..
What is your home country.
Where are you living.
This is sort of ambiguous as now technology living full time in PH...

They offer three different plans of location where you want insurance. I also bought in patient coverage only with$1350.00 deductible to keep my rates down. It's an excellent plan and it works because I've used it

• Like 1