Malibu

For expats, medical insurance or self insure, savings

Malibu

Questions to fellow expats in RP. Do you have a local medical insurance, or international medical insurance for expats?

Or do you self insure, and how much do you feel is adequate?

From my extensive research, local insurers don't cover cancer and more. Please correct me, if this is wrong. They also very restrictive to exclude pre excisting conditions.

Some international insurance for expats cover these things, plus coverage after 65 years old, for a premium 150-600$ -  a month!

Local private hospitals can fast run up a bill of 30 - 50000 peso per day, much more when a operation is needed.

Serious traffic accident + ICU 1.5 MILL +

Heart bypass around 1 MILL.

Do you have minimum of 1 Million peso or more saved up for this, or what Insurance company will cover you?

savarity

I've had one operation (2016, 90,000p at Cebu Doctors), considering having another which would be about 200,000. Also, considering signing up for Philhealth, but not sure if it would be worth it.

No other insurance that works here, but have 6M readily available for emergencies.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

Enuff

I use Patriot Travel Medical Insurance

Staying in Philippines about 5 1/2 months, twice a year, a $2,000,000 usd policy with zero deductable runs about $700 a year.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

billy
1 hour ago, Enuff said:

I use Patriot Travel Medical Insurance

Staying in Philippines about 5 1/2 months, twice a year, a $2,000,000 usd policy with zero deductable runs about $700 a year.

The patriot travel insurance from IMG is great I use it also when traveling to the US and I use A+ International in the Philippines which includes 7 Asian countries

Malibu

Thanks for the replies so far. None of those mentioned so far, have direct billing, (no-cash outlay) with either Chong Hua or Cebu Doctor. Did you know that?  

Some insurance providers also have a clausule to use 90-180 days to approve reimburse claims. With these insurers, one still need a healthy 1mill+ in savings. I still search to replace my current international health plan with direct billing pay-out, plus cover for cancer etc.

savarity

I remember it was difficult about the payment with Cebu Doctor's hospital, sort of a catch 22. I've heard they won't let you leave a private hospital room without the bill being paid, and I don't know anyone to hold, watch or go get money for me.

So what I did was put a 60k downpayment on deposit with the hospital, then hid 50k in my belongings. Sure, it could have been stolen, but I didnt want too much on deposit or they would run up the bill to take it all. Even still the surgery ran 20k over the estimate. The doctor was surprised... i was NOT.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

cookie47

Good subject people.
Something I've been working on for a while.
Haven't got too far as yet as once we tell them we are 70 and 66 for the wife they reject you.
However with the information from Billy i got a quote, It came back $16000 US..( per annum)
Anyway its bed time now so i will persevere tomorrow with Enouf, s provider. Although the wording is travel insurance. Is a Balakbayan with no intention returning to Australia considered a resident of ph.(in the opinion) of a health provider)
My wife is covered by Philhealth and i can be covered but is it worth the risk.
I suppose it will get you through the door but how much more..
I tend to agree that the lump sum $$$ inthe bank is the better option at our age.

This issue is a Dogs Breakfast as we say in Australia.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Malibu
1 hour ago, savarity said:

I don't know anyone to hold, watch or go get money for me.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Not all have a partner, so expats should have some sort of emergency contact number, so if any single member was admitted to hospital, he could text call other expats, for help with these matters. Not only atm withdrawal but also get medicine at pharmacy, Philhealth and more.

Time for brain storming, for all expats.

• Like 1

Malibu
13 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

My wife is covered by Philhealth and i can be covered but is it worth the risk.

Hi cookie.

No risk with Philhealth. Problem is that Phil health is a very basic barebone policy, that only cover 20-40% of the total bill. The % do vary from case to case. Some only got as little as 20%, others say they got 40% deducted from their bill. If I remember correct, for new members Philhealth premium is now 17000 peso per year. Risk free to join Philhealth, and most people I know have at least Philhealth.

• Like 1

cookie47

Malibu, great you've given me more confidence in pushing through with Philhealth.
We accually went into the Philhealth office in Consolacion yesterday and a very helpful lady told my wife that all she needed was a Barangay ID card ( We have not resided permanently in Consolacion before) stating our address and she would process the paperwork including myself. As I said in another thread, for a non urgent condition I could jump on a plane to Australia but an emergency is another matter....

Enuff
Malibu, great you've given me more confidence in pushing through with Philhealth.
We accually went into the Philhealth office in Consolacion yesterday and a very helpful lady told my wife that all she needed was a Barangay ID card ( We have not resided permanently in Consolacion before) stating our address and she would process the paperwork including myself. As I said in another thread, for a non urgent condition I could jump on a plane to Australia but an emergency is another matter....

Pretty certain that philhealth is free to senior citizen, which is why your wife is covered. adding an additional p17k for you seems logical.

My in-laws are both 70 and go to the everesly insane asylum hospital? Just over the line in Mandaue. They get free everything because they seniors and is good for basic needs.

• Like 1

cookie47
Pretty certain that philhealth is free to senior citizen, which is why your wife is covered. adding an additional p17k for you seems logical.

My in-laws are both 70 and go to the everesly insane asylum hospital? Just over the line in Mandaue. They get free everything because they seniors and is good for basic needs.

Yes, correct, Its one of our major projects this week, and as you say P17000 is certainly affordable..

Malibu

Back on topic:

Questions to fellow expats in RP. Do you have a local medical insurance, or international medical insurance for expats?

Or do you self insure, and how much do you feel is adequate?

From my extensive research, local insurers don't cover cancer and more. Please correct me, if this is wrong. They also very restrictive to exclude pre excisting conditions.

Some international insurance for expats cover these things, plus coverage after 65 years old, for a premium 150-600$ -  a month!

Local private hospitals can fast run up a bill of 30 - 50000 peso per day, much more when a operation is needed.

Serious traffic accident + ICU 1.5 MILL +

Heart bypass around 1 MILL.

Do you have minimum of 1 Million peso or more saved up for this, or what Insurance company will cover you?

Headshot
1 hour ago, Malibu said:

Hi cookie.

No risk with Philhealth. Problem is that Phil health is a very basic barebone policy, that only cover 20-40% of the total bill. The % do vary from case to case. Some only got as little as 20%, others say they got 40% deducted from their bill. If I remember correct, for new members Philhealth premium is now 17000 peso per year. Risk free to join Philhealth, and most people I know have at least Philhealth.

The biggest benefit that Philhealth gives you is that you WILL be examined, treated and admitted without having to come up with a deposit on the spot. That can be critical if it is an emergency situation and the ATM and card readers are down. It is better to get treatment first and then worry about payment (or insurance coverage) later. Like you said, Philhealth is NOT a full-coverage policy, and it should never be thought of that way.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
9 hours ago, Headshot said:

It is better to get treatment first and then worry about payment (or insurance coverage) later.

And besides- if they are unable to save you then you don't have to worry about the bill anyway ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1